Good grill - gas or charcoal - under $160.00

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I say you can't go wrong with a charcoal grill from Weber!!! They will practically last a lifetime and nothing beats a good char-grilled flavor!!!

Welcome to Weber.com

If you do go charcoal, I would also reccomend a chimney starter so you can light your coals without the use of lighter fluid. You can get those at any hardware store.

I completely agree with sattie. Webber is the way to go and the price range you are in would put you with a charcoal grill.

I believe we used to have an old fashioned weber (black ball shaped BBQ) but it was mysteriously lost in our last DITY move...hmmm (whole nother subject matter). I used to own a great little habachi (wow...did I botch the spelling on that, or what) but my brother decided he loved it more then I and well, took it.

I saw a nice (i assume it was nice) gas grill at...do I dare say its name...WalMart..for abiut $168.00, but I am nervous about gas grilling as i have only ever used charcoal.

I will check out the Weber site and do sopme investigation. I will let you all know what we decide to do. Keep up the good work and suggestions!

Gas grills are great. You will get better flavor with charcoal, but gas is just so much easier IMO. I would be nervous of a gas grill that inexpensive though.

Weber Prices have gone up considerably this year. So if you want something more than a Silver One Touch (22.5 grate) you might have to pay more than $160.00. Depending on what kind of climate you have the Weber might last you 10 years or 6 months. Humidity and salt water are the Webers worst enemies. Using lump Charcoal will improve your grilling too.

I'd say it depends on how you do the majority of your grilling -- last minute/in a hurry, or ample preparation/flavor is king.

I own the Weber 18.5" grill and it is plenty large for what I do.

Hmmm...good to know about the climate thingy...I am coastal oregon resident so salt water is a given in my yard. I love to marinate and fancy up the meats and even on occasion I am known for "hey, I feel like a burger..." so I grill up one of those out of the blue too.

I may have to get the weber and down the line (summers end, for fall meals) bust out my pocketbook and get a gas one. DH is also hooting and hollering for a weber (says it brings out the kid in him).

Never owned a gas grill, so I never got use to the convenience of one... I guess that is a good thing? LOL!!! DD... I do hope you find the one you want.... nothing beats a grilled meal!

If your price limit is $160., I'd buy a Weber charcoal grill rather than a $160 gas grill.

I would be lost without the convenience of my gas grill, whether I'm grilling a couple hot dogs or burgers for lunch or doing steak and potatos for dinner. I can actually use it either way, gas or charcoal, but I ended up using the charcoal tray as a large drippings catcher underneath. Works great for cooking all day, too, without having to add more charcoal.
You can get good portable ones for a lot less than your budget figure, or add a little more and get a very serviceable one at Home Depot or the like.
Heck, you could buy one of each for 160 bucks, then in a few years decide which you like better and upgrade.

The problem that I have with gas grills versus the Webber Kettle is that I have seen roaring flames come from both cheap and expensive gas grills that were not only difficult to control, but downright dangerous. Grease is a great fuel and burns very hot. Flare ups with gas are more difficult to control because you can't smother the fire by closing the air vents. And you know what, dry chemical fire extinguishers just make a mess of food. Water tends to spread grease fires, making them more dagerous, and most of us don't own Co-2 extinguishers.

I have never had an uncontrolled fire in the Webber kettle as I can control the amount of air going into the thing through its vents. And the flavor is definetly better, as is the versatility. I can use more cooking techniques with the charcoal grill than are possible with gas.

And the vaunted convenience of gas is lost to me. The time it takes the charcoal to get hot is used to prepare the food for grilling. It's no more difficult to clean than its gas counterpart, and the ashes are actually beneficial to my garden. My only complaint is that the Webber Kettle isn't big enough to really cook a lot of food on. But then, neither are most gas grills.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
And the vaunted convenience of gas is lost to me. The time it takes the charcoal to get hot is used to prepare the food for grilling.

An afternoon barbeque, yes, but there's no way I would grill a couple burgers or hot dogs for lunch with a charcoal grill. The convenience is in how much more quickly you can start grilling and when you're done, you just turn it off and it's cool in 20 minutes. Seems like a much safer option on the porch. (I don't have flare ups that can't be solved by moving the food over and the occassional flare up adds flavor, IMO).
Example; I turn my grill on as I walk in the house, turn the fryer on, chop some onions, cut up some potatos, put a couple dogs on the grill, drop the potatos in the oil and I'm eating in 15 minutes. I don't need to worry about humid charcoal, washing black off my hands, emptying the ash pan...

It's been a while since I've seen charcoal used, so maybe there's something different going on with the newer grills, but can you snuff out the charcoal and use it again the next time you grill? Or does it have to burn itself out?

Don't get me wrong, I love charcoal grills too, in their place, but I don't understand how they can hold a candle to a gas grill for convenience if you just want a quick grilled meal and don't want to plan a picnic around it.
To each his own :angel:

pacanis said:
An afternoon barbeque, yes, but there's no way I would grill a couple burgers or hot dogs for lunch with a charcoal grill. The convenience is in how much more quickly you can start grilling and when you're done, you just turn it off and it's cool in 20 minutes. Seems like a much safer option on the porch. (I don't have flare ups that can't be solved by moving the food over and the occassional flare up adds flavor, IMO).
Example; I turn my grill on as I walk in the house, turn the fryer on, chop some onions, cut up some potatos, put a couple dogs on the grill, drop the potatos in the oil and I'm eating in 15 minutes. I don't need to worry about humid charcoal, washing black off my hands, emptying the ash pan...

It's been a while since I've seen charcoal used, so maybe there's something different going on with the newer grills, but can you snuff out the charcoal and use it again the next time you grill? Or does it have to burn itself out?

Don't get me wrong, I love charcoal grills too, in their place, but I don't understand how they can hold a candle to a gas grill for convenience if you just want a quick grilled meal and don't want to plan a picnic around it.
To each his own :angel:
When I use my Egg, I utilize the lump charcoal and I am able to simply snuff out the fire and any coal that is not used can be re-burned on my next cook.
I fire up the grill whether I am cooking for a gathering or just wanting to grill a dozen shrimp. I am set up, and ready to cook in under 15 minutes. Plus the flavors that are produced (even on a quick cook) is superior to any gas grill.

That's pretty cool. I've never seen anyone reuse charcoal, but then everyone I know uses regular charcoal (briquets are they?). I'll have to look into the lump kind. Who knows, maybe I'll convert. I'm not beyond trying something new out to see if I like it. Just like those new starters seem a lot better than than the old squirt with fluid and stand back.....

Goodweed of the North said:
...And the vaunted convenience of gas is lost to me...

It's not about time, it's about ease.

A gas grill should be preheated as should a charcoal grill. It's just a lot easier to light a gas grill. Turn on the gas, press a button, walk away; as opposed to the setting up, filling and lighting a chimney.

I don't mean to suggest that is a particularly difficult or time consuming task, just that it's not as easy as lighting a gas grill. Then there is the storage, handling and disposal of the charcoal. Not an issue with gas. Again, not a huge deal, just a bit easier and a bit less messy with gas.

I don't know about ease of starting with a gas grill.
I've never had to worry about my lump charcoal blowing up in my face if it didn't light right away. (gas stove did that once to me. Who new women had that much facial hair?)
I only have to worry about mess with lump if I drop my BBQ sauce in my Egg.

Back
Top Bottom