Kitchen stove tipping over.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
They had on the news this morning that there have been cases of kitchen stoves tipping over. They told of some pretty terrible things happening. One little boy got the oven door open and leaned on the door and the stove tipped and the hot soup on top of the stove went all over him and burned him. An older women had the oven on when she open the door and slipped and fell on the door and the stove fell right on her and killed her. They say there is a bracket that you can get to attach the stove to the wall so this does not happen. I think that would be something to think about getting.

In MA, it's required for all new stoves (I don't know if it's a federal law). It's cheap, easy to install and a lifesaver.

I have never heard of a kitchen stove tipping over. To be on the safe side I would have it anchored to the wall.

After the Northridge Earthquake I had a lot of my furniture anchored to the wall and even put plastic holders to keep my kitchen cabinets closed.

I feel really bad about the people who died.

in the UK, it`s required by Law that all stoves (Gas) are to be Chained to the wall to prevent this type of accident and also rupturing the gas mains.

the same could be done with Electric cookers too, but I`ve never seen it.

The full-size, portable dishwasher in my first house had a concrete block (from the factory) mounted in the back near the floor to keep it from tipping over.

Although strapping the stove to the wall would be better, concrete blocks in the back do not require any special tools to install.

Tom

concrete is only there as a vibrational buffer, also there`s No special stuff needed, beyond a choker/chain dog colar and a hook securely mounted in the wall.
you feed one end of the chain through something structural on the cooker and and put both ends onto the hook.

Job Done :)

That would be incorrect.

YT2095 said:
concrete is only there as a vibrational buffer, ...
I took it out to work on the unit once, and the whole thing tipped over when the door was opened, and the bottom rack of dishes was slid out.

Tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom