Avocados

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jurdoc

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have thoughts on this versatile fruit? (it is a fruit right) so far i've used it in salad and on sandwiches...and something besides guacamole, I dont want to make guacamole, but I want to find some other uses. :D

you can serve them cut in half and filled with cooked shrimp and a
vinegarette or slice some on top of your chili. Stuff them with chicken
or tuna salad. Make an avocado salsa, can make a mango or papaya
salsa and include avocados. Good in a spinach salad with strawberries,
red onion and poppy seed dressing. uummm good

We love them with a little scoop of mayo in the hollow along with some salt and pepper and a little shot of lemon or lime juice ... all the other ideas sound so delicious, though, I'm going to have try them!

grilled avacodo cream

One of my favorite things and taste wonderful over everything. From pasta to anything mexican.

Ncage

My mom & I used to share avocados when I was little. We'd cut them in half & put a little oil & vinegar in & scoop the flesh out with a spoon ! Yum.

Living in Mexico, I see lots of ways to use avocados....our favorite salsa verde is made with tomatillos, avocados, cilantro, a serrano chili, onions & water in a blender (all raw). I also love sopa de lima, Azteca sopa or in the States, tortilla soup with slices of avocado in it. Down here they also use avocados on club sandwiches, fish burgers & hamburgers in place of pickles. Most of the little taco stands just put slices of avocado on the tacos, salbutes, panochos, tostados, sopes, etc. instead of quacamole.

oh my, sorry guys, I didn't see all your replies, the forum has stopped forwarding the replies to my email box, so I didn't know people were replying to my thread. I REALLY like the Ideas from Clienta and JMediger, and for the more complex days I'll try BandonJan's method. And to answer mcgrew...as many avocados as I want to! :D

Try it on tortilla soup or any Mexican dish. It's wonderful sliced over tacos, chalupas and enchiladas.

About a hundred years ago when our children were very young (she had 2 boys under 2 yrs) my neighbor came over to my house with an avacado and asked if she could just sit and eat it without being asked for a bite! :LOL: I tried to tell my son they tasted terrible but it didn't work - he loves every kind of food!

How about slice on about any sandwich?

jpmcgrew said:
:) Jurdoc! Im still curious how much does a avocado cost you in Anchorage.

I buy them at Fred Meyer for about $2.29 per avocado if they're ripe, I think they're around $3.50 if they're not ripe....sorry about that, I wasn't sure quite what you were asking

Ah, I love avocados.
At home we usually put them in vegetable and pasta bakes. Or make avocado melts, taking it out of the shell and mixing it up with a few other veggies and then putting the mixture into the shell with some grated cheese on top and into the oven quickly to melt the cheese.

And you could easily add chicken or something into both.

other than the typical lime juice and salt, another Fave of mine is mashed in with potatoe and spring onions and bacon bits.

make sure the potatoes are Really Dry though, the Avocado gives it`s own moisture when it`s baked.

well actually, i made a nice guacamole with my king crab last night. I had corn chips, then made a dip with half an avocado, a dollop of mayo, salsa, and balsamic vinegar...it was a fine dip

I usually mash mine with paprika & a little black pepper and eat it on toast.

On another tack, I once had avocado baked with a crab stuffing.

Hello Jurdoc:)

Avacado soup is delicious.

Ingredients
Vegetabele stock cubes
Ripe Avocados
Lemon Juice
Fresh cream
Chilli sauce
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
Disolve stock cube in boiling water.
Puree avocado, with lemon juice, chilli sauce, salt.
Stir puree and cream, into boiling stock(make sure to take stock off heat first).
Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper over soup, before serving.

Mel

Last month, I ordered a great salad that was new on the menu of a local restaurant. The salad included grilled, shrimp and grilled pineapple slices (fresh) as well as two avocado halves (skins still on) that were brushed with pineapple juice and also grilled. Everything was served on a bed of baby greens with an orange/olive oil dressing. It was the first time I had ever had (or even heard of) a grilled avocado. DELICIOUS!!!!
My friend makes avocado milkshakes. She puts peeled avocado slices into the blender, adds one to two scoops of vanilla ice cream, and sometimes a little ice and milk. It turns into a thick shake with a pale green color and tastes wonderful!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom