Need help with Lasagna pan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarieH

Assistant Cook
Hello there!
My name is Marie and I am new to the forum. I have joined because I love cooking, but also because I have a question.
After buying some extra groveries I plan to make this recipe Cheesy Lasagna , however, I am a bit of a poor student and do not have a casserole dish :(. I have a few deep pans that the lasanga would fit into, but Im worried about drying out or burning the whole top layer. I was wondering if there was a way to get around this, without purchasing a casserole dish altogether. I plan to get one in the future, but currently money is very tight and its not an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :chef:

I don't know where you live MarieH.? In the UK we have Charity shops run by a variety of different charities and you can pick up some amazingly good cookware at even more amazing prices there. I got some stainless steel prestige saucepans recently for £3.00 for 2. A bargain!

Thanks for your quick responses!
Ill keep an eye out while Im shopping for a cheap casserole dish, but if I dont find one, Ill use the foil in the meantime!!

Actually, the recipe you referenced does not call for a casserole dish (in fact the words "casserole" or "casserole dish" do not appear anywhere on that page) - it calls for a "11x7 baking dish" - which can be pyrex, corningware, pottery or metal ... and it can also be 9x13 in size with no problem. If you look at the photos and information that accompany the recipe - ungreen apprears to be using a 9x9 pyrex dish and kmouse was apparently using a 9x13 metal pan - and andy in his comments noted using a 9x13 with success.

As jennyema suggested - use whatever pan you've got and use aluminum foil for the covering. A lasagna isn't rocket science requireing special baking dishes ... it's simply a layered "usually pasta" dish that is usually made in a dish/pan that is 2.5-3 inches deep - to be honest I have never used a lid/foil covering and I've never had a problem with the top burning or drying out.

But then - I've never tried a vegan "lasagna" like this.

Michael offers good advice, Marie. The only thing I can stress is that you should be sure the pan is pretty deep. My lasagna recipe comes from a family member from Sicily and it is made of multiple layers, which can fill up a pan pretty quickly. My pan is easily 3 inches deep. I cover my lasagna with foil for the all but the last 15 minutes. That's when I add cheese slices and finish baking, uncovered.

Back
Top Bottom