Cooking for your 4-leggeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, hoping everyone's little furry friends are doing okay with the recent pet food recalls. It keeps getting bigger.

My DH and I have been making homemade meals for our kitty for over 10 years and we're thankful he's healthy. If anyone needs recipes, we used Anitra Frazier's "the New Natural Cat", and Dr. Pitcairn's book.

I recently read that some of the tainted rice protein made its way into hog feed in CA. So just keep your ears open and tread lightly around pork, I guess. Hopefully they'll get all this cleared up. It's so unfortunate.

Blessings.

I have thought about making the leap to raw food diets for a while, luckily, where I am we are, as yet, not subject to the recalls, and I have sourced 100% meat food for the interim, which is almost impossible in UK, so I'm buying to take back too. Unfortunatly my current lifestyle makes a decent sized grinder for bones etc impossible, so I have been feeding bought food with the highest meat content I can find, with a balanced biscuit (now suspended) and fresh raw meat: chicken on bone, whole quails and other bots and bobs. If I were in a possition to make the shift to BALANCED home prep, this would have been the shove I needed.

Tyson knows where the kitchen is. If he wants something cooked, he can do it his own self!

We breed mini rat terriers and I have been making my mommie dog's food ever since she started expecting. This is time consuming and I don't think she likes my food any better than she did her canned dog food, but I have been afraid to feed her commerical food while she has been expecting and is nursing. Yes, it is unfortunate and inconvienant that you can't trust pet food lately.

:) I just just got All Natural Dog Food and Natural Dog Treats by Sojourner Farms and the dogs love,love,love it I have not even added the meat and vegies yet, Ive been mixing it up with the Missing Link supplement adding water and making cookies with it (my idea to make cookies)I put scoops on on the pan and flatten by hand and bake at 325 degrees about 20 minutes.The dogs love it mostly oatmeal and some other really good stuff ,a bit pricy but I know I can make my own mix alot cheaper.The first time I made it without supplement just mixed some hot water in it I tasted it its good very much like a bowl of oatmeal.
What I have learned on the internet is that dog foods not fit for human consumption are not good for your pets either.This stuff just makes it a little easier by adding meats and vegies especially if you have 3 good sized dogs.
This stuff can be used alone as a supplement with or with out Missing Link or the Missing Link is good all on its own to give them whats lacking in the commercial dog foods

Last edited:
Yes, there are a lot of good recipes for our feline and canine family members. Missing Link sounds great. I have been using Anitra Frazier's raw food diet for over 10 years for our cat (he's 16 now). When all vets said he needed surgery, and would continue to get sick, we simply did some research, changed his diet and voila! Health city.

We do however, occassionally give him store bought food that says, "Human grade meat" etc. so he gets a change. One of those we chose has now been recalled. So he's back on the homemade.

I like to know exactly what he's eating and give him the best and most natural that I can. I read labels on my own food so why not his?

All hail good, clean food!

hugs to the furry ones!:-p

Although I know this thread is for pet home-cooking, for those of you who might be interested in a possibly safe commercial alternative, here's the answer I recieved to an e-mail I recently sent to Nutro asking about the recalls. I've been feeding their "Lamb & Rice" dry dog food for over 20 years now - with no problems & great success - to my dogs. All the dogs were/are large (Dobermans, Husky, Tennessee Plott Hound/Lab cross, Treeing Walker Counhound, etc.), & all lived to or are currently in their mid-teens. Anyway - for those who might want to add some commercial food into their homemade diets, just thought I'd share.

Nutro products

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm familiar with Nutro's food, Breezy. I was in our local PetSmart last week and there was a similar Nutro announcement taped to the shelves where their food was stocked. They seem to be diligent about notifying pet owners who would be concerned about commercial foods. However, I will say the stuff is a bit on the pricey side. A 4-pound bag of dog food was $10.

Yes, it's pricey - but the ingredient quality is higher. In fact, back in NY 20 years ago, before there were a gazillion different "premium" pet foods, Nutro products came highly recommended to me by my local vet. He said that unlike other cheaper foods, the meat byproduct/protein quality was much higher - in other words, no "beaks, feet, & feathers", lol. I took him up on it & never looked back. Dogs with food allergies - mostly to corn - never looked better, & loose stools became a thing of the past.

With my current "gang of four", however, I don't buy the small bags. Buy my Nutro in the 40# bags & pay between $29 & $36 for it, depending on where I buy it & whether or not there's a special or sale. Normally I buy mine at PetCo because we belong to the PetCo "club", where after 10 bags we get one bag free. Not a bad deal saving nearly $40 - especially when one goes thru a 40# bag almost every other week - lol!! PetCo/Nutro also frequently run sales where when you buy a 40# bag, you get a little 5# bag free. It really works out well for me, & I do love the quality of the food. The fact that I have a large Husky who is now 14 years old & still going strong (along with a Doberman - 11, a Tennessee Plott Hound/Lab cross - 13, & a Treeing Walker Coonhound - around 7), should be a good ad for the quality of this particular company's product.

Last edited:
OTH, with home pet food/raw diets I like the "beaks/feet/feathers" because it is "natural". If I'm paying for mixed pet food I'm with BC, I want the best, but not just ingrediants but NUTRITIONALISTS. Correct balance is at least as important in our pets, and thats what I pay for! With cats I want minimunm, non meat content, and preferably no grains. The reason I don't buy a frozen/premade raw food diet is because freezing negates the taurine. And, following reading about dry cat food feeding in relation to incidence of CRF and diabetes in cats, I would never agian feed soley a dry food, whatever the quality. I'm doing the best I can with a balanced biscuit, the best quality tinned meat diets 2 times daily, and their raw meat. Oh, its so hard, so much resposibility!

Bullwrinkle.com was a source of recipes for dog treats we used for our dog. He had food allergies and eventually succumbed to cancer late last summer but he really loved some of the treats we made for him.

We also had him on a diet that was given to me by a veterinarian a long time ago for another dog we had that was old and ailing. We used canned mixed vegetables, bran flakes and portions of small pieces of meats like the pickings from a turkey or chicken carcass. We usually added some form of broth or stock and our dogs did well. Max, my Daschund from my youth didn’t like peas and Einstein, our last dog (Beagle/Sheltie mix), didn’t like green beans.

My son’s fiancé has a cat and he loved the muffins we made so I guess some of these treats could be suitable for multiple species. One main ingredient in the most favorite treats is baby food. I would hope that Gerber’s is safe.

Katie E said:
I'm familiar with Nutro's food, Breezy. I was in our local PetSmart last week and there was a similar Nutro announcement taped to the shelves where their food was stocked. They seem to be diligent about notifying pet owners who would be concerned about commercial foods. However, I will say the stuff is a bit on the pricey side. A 4-pound bag of dog food was $10.

Science Diet dry is even more expensive than Nutro unless you have a coupon, and it has given all my kitties gas! There is nothing worse than having a cat jump up in your lap, snuggle in comfortably, start to purr, then break wind!

Caine said:
There is nothing worse than having a cat jump up in your lap, snuggle in comfortably, start to purr, then break wind!

Oh, yes, Caine! I know exactly of what you speak. I firmly believe that our nice, little Chessie Lou does it on purpose when she's pi**ed off at us. She can take paint off the wall. We love her anyway.

:) Mirandgl, thats a great idea on the canned or Im thinking frozen vegetables it saves the hassle and cost of fresh and they still get more nutrition than in regular dog food.

I am taking my dog food budget off the dog food isle. Nope no rice, veggies, or sirloin for my pups & kitties!!! NO Sir!!! I'm taking them through the drive-thru at McDonalds!!!!! I'm doing a recall of all my Washington's ($1) and Lincoln's ($5). There will be no further investing into a market that is fully vested!!! I refuse to line the pockets or grease the palm for this ill fated plaque!

We have already ate at Long John Silvers on several occasions but the Alaskan flounder is not as plentiful as it was during Lint. But I am sure that we will find some chicken liver pate at home to every one's likening.

There are many things that dogs & cats should not eat And one of them is definitely pet food!!!

StirBlue said:
I am taking my dog food budget off the dog food isle. Nope no rice, veggies, or sirloin for my pups & kitties!!! NO Sir!!! I'm taking them through the drive-thru at McDonalds!!!!! I'm doing a recall of all my Washington's ($1) and Lincoln's ($5). There will be no further investing into a market that is fully vested!!! I refuse to line the pockets or grease the palm for this ill fated plaque!

We have already ate at Long John Silvers on several occasions but the Alaskan flounder is not as plentiful as it was during Lint. But I am sure that we will find some chicken liver pate at home to every one's likening.

There are many things that dogs & cats should not eat And one of them is definitely pet food!!!

I admit I DO feed out ourside kitties commercial food, but they also get lots of other goodies. As an example, today I cooked up a huge batch of homemade beef stock, which had a base of carrots, celery, onions, etc. Once I strained the stock, I mashed the vegetables and added the veggies to their supper, along with some of the skimmed fat. I do this regularly and they'll eat just about any vegetable I put in front of them.

They also get all our meat/poultry trimmings and fat, which I cook up in a broth for them. When I drain canned vegetables, the juice/water is put on their food. When I make mashed potatoes, the potato cooking water is saved for them and on and on and on. What Buck and I don't eat, they do. As a result, they have the healthiest, shiniest coats and are happy little babies.

No offense StirBlue - but can you translate your post somewhat?

I think I understand your anti-pet-food point, but completely lost you at the "no rice, veggies, or sirloin", as well as the Long John Silvers comment. And what is "Lint"?

You completely lost me in this rambling.

Caine said:
Science Diet dry is even more expensive than Nutro unless you have a coupon, and it has given all my kitties gas! There is nothing worse than having a cat jump up in your lap, snuggle in comfortably, start to purr, then break wind!

I have seen the futures...and it is kitten powered cars.:rolleyes:

Just to stick up for commercial pet foods, a lot of science and work goes into the better brands, they are that price nt just because of ingrediants but the research behind them. In uSA you have a tinned food called Natures VAriety, that for a while I was trying to import uintil it became farcical in time and money for two cats. It is vital, literally vital, that our pets' food is balance for micro nutriants. If you haven't the time to research and mix up vats of things to account for the correct vitamin/mineral content I think in the long term (out side of this hoohah) a good quality, preferably not dried, comercial pet food is the best bet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom