Does Anybody Calorie Count Anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IronSides

Senior Cook
It is almost impossible to account for every calorie you consume each day but I like to have a rough idea. I have been using the calorie charts on bhg.com. It is just a good reference and it covers all the main food groups. This past Sunday night I made a simple grilled chicken salad with minced cilantro and mint...yum! Anyways I know grilled chicken is low in calories but I really had no clue how low. I hopped online real quick and found out that 3 ounces of cooked chicken breast with no skin is only 140 calories. It's just good to know:cool:

Thanks for that link Ironside. It just might give me the impetus I need to start counting again! and start using the treadmill again too:)

I don't usually count, but I am aware of my intake in a general sense. I think I would drive myself bonkers trying to track every calorie that I consumed.

When I try to lose weight, I calorie count as a means. I do a rough calculation of my max. calories per day and count towards that. It works for me but SO did not have success with it. She did well with a low carb diet.

IronSides said:
It is almost impossible to account for every calorie you consume each day but I like to have a rough idea. I have been using the calorie charts on bhg.com. It is just a good reference and it covers all the main food groups. This past Sunday night I made a simple grilled chicken salad with minced cilantro and mint...yum! Anyways I know grilled chicken is low in calories but I really had no clue how low. I hopped online real quick and found out that 3 ounces of cooked chicken breast with no skin is only 140 calories. It's just good to know:cool:

IronSides, welcome to DC, if I missed you walking in the door.;) I did the calorie counting thing when I wanted to lose a few. I bought a calorie counter booklet at the checkout stand at the market. My caloric intake (female - 5'7" would be 1200 calories a day. I logged everything I ate on a daily basis, & didn't go over 1200 calories. I learned how to sub out high fat ingredients with fresh herbs, and make substitutes i.e. butter buds for butter etc. For me, it was a mindset of a healthy eating lifestyle. Eliminating fatty oils, butter & limiting bread (which I was never a big fan of in the past), made a big difference. I incorporated fruits & veggies, grilled salmon, chicken etc -- so it wasn't really a diet - but a healthier way of eating/living. I also added vitamins & led an active life - w/o needing to exercise. With the calorie counter, log what you eat every day every meal, & you will see a difference.

Last edited:
Food File is a great program too, for a lot more then calorie counting.

I count, to a point. It is hard to track everything, but I too know what is good, and what is not.

It is good to count when you are starting a lifestyle change. It helps you get used to knowing what is in things and what you can have on a regular basis, and not have but for a treat. After getting used to it, it becomes habit, and a no brainer.

For many years the recommended calorie count for women was 1200 and men was 1400. (teenage ladies 1400 and gentlemen 1600). The 1,000 calorie diet was very popular.

Now that we are less active and have more lifestyle conveniences, the normal calorie count is 2000+. (+ means plus anything else you put in your mouth)

An average meal consist of approximately 450-650 calories. 450x3=1350 and 650x3=1950. A snack consist of about 150-300 calories and two snacks would be 300-600 calories. The meal calorie count could cover a beverage but the snack usually does not. The beverages consumed between meals is more than 2000 each day!

On casual Friday, adults consume more than 30,000 calories. On Saturdays, children consume an average of 20,000 calories. And on Wednesdays Senior Citizens consume about 10,000 calories.

My advice to a dieter who wants a slice of chocolate cake or a brownie is to work off the calories first. (known as the calorie Savings Bank)

Calorie counting is very accurate.....Honesty is the temptation to avoid writing down the extras.

You can choose the calories that you want: a bag of chips for 110 calories or an apple for 110 calories. Which keeps you satisfied the longest? But then there are the hard choices like a hot dog for 250 calories (wiener & bun only) or an omelet for 250 calories (2 eggs & tbsp of cheddar cheese). A bag of Cheetos and a beer OR a bag of Doritos and a soda? Go with your Gut!

I lost weight successfully on a 2000 calorie a day diet. I allowed 600-750 calories per day for breakfast, 250-400 calories for lunch and 1000 for dinner. That worked for me. Some days I'd end up eating only 1100-1300 calories total and other days, 2400-3000. Each week I averaged out to the 2000 calorie limit. I also tracked fat and cholesterol intake.

Andy M. said:
I lost weight successfully on a 2000 calorie a day diet. I allowed 600-750 calories per day for breakfast, 250-400 calories for lunch and 1000 for dinner. That worked for me. Some days I'd end up eating only 1100-1300 calories total and other days, 2400-3000. Each week I averaged out to the 2000 calorie limit. I also tracked fat and cholesterol intake.

What are your most physically challenged days? Meaning days when you are the most involved with a sports activity like bicycling (cycling), boating or body boarding, belong to a team like volley ball, racquetball, bowling or even a pool tournament. Believe it or not people burn calories playing bingo.

I try to count because it keeps me on track. If I see 600 calories on the label of some tiny portioned thing, I'll probably steer clear of it. But the worst is having something with no nutrition facts listed on the package, then going online later and finding out just how bad it was for you. . . it's times like those I wish I never started counting. Lol.

I also like counting because I can compare my intake against the amount I burn by exercising each day. This site is pretty helpful, lots of calculators: Free Calorie Counter, Weight Loss Calculator & Weight Loss Tutorial

I have wondered why they don't have nutritional info printed on booze bottles, and beer bottles. They do on soda, and even water. Why not alcohol?

TATTRAT said:
I have wondered why they don't have nutritional info printed on booze bottles, and beer bottles. They do on soda, and even water. Why not alcohol?

They don't put nutritional information on fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, seafood....etc. We don't demand it. Thank goodness for the research that has been put into books.

But, in VA stores they normally have a board posted for the fruits and produce that are bulk, and not prepackaged. But that is VA, I am not sure if that reflects nationally. And if the info is not posted, it is readily available upon request.

StirBlue said:
Believe it or not people burn calories playing bingo.

Does computer Bingo count? How many cards can I play ? :LOL: j/k StirBlue.

Perhaps I should clarify re I didn't exercise -- my lifestyle was busy, busy, busy - run here, run there, running up & down stairs in high heels (not for exercise), dancing every weekend working up a sweat, cooking, cleaning grocery shopping, taking care of the house etc., etc. Lifestyle changes - i.e. being sedintary (sp), sitting on the couch, munching chips, ordering pizza etc - will not burn anything off. I know my weak points - i.e. now I love bread, bagels, cheese & too much soda. I'm not a big dessert fan - so no problem there. When I have a salad, it's not going to be Caesar -- do the math. Pretty much common sense. Counting calories gave me a new awakening as far as reading labels & after awhile you know what's a no-no. BTW - hot dogs & chips did not fit into the plan. Also, I didn't eat breakfast (I know many people do) - back then it was a cup o coffee & a slice o' toast. Beverages count as well - i.e. you can have a glass of white wine at about 90-100 calories. It also taught me about using seasonings (besides herbs/spices) like using lemon pepper on salmon or fish. A typical lunch might be a tuna (solid white, drained) with a tablespoon of salad dressing served inside half a cantaloupe. Dinner can be lean beef, baked potato & steamed veggie - brussels sprouts, broc anything fresh - zukes, tomatoes etc or squash. Another benifit was being able to taste food in its' freshness.

I stuck with it & lost weight. It's time for me to get motivated again. Keep a pair of skinny jeans in the closet you want to get into - have a goal. Good luck ;)

StirBlue said:
What are your most physically challenged days? Meaning days when you are the most involved with a sports activity like bicycling (cycling), boating or body boarding, belong to a team like volley ball, racquetball, bowling or even a pool tournament. Believe it or not people burn calories playing bingo.

You burn calories laying perfectly still in bed. Everybody has a basal metabolism rate. That's the number of calories needed by your body to perform the basic life maintaining functions such as breathing, heart beating, liver functioning, kidneys working, etc. Everything you do, however small, burns calories in addition to that.

I calculated my approximate daily BM rate (weight in pounds 250 times 11= 2,750) and set a daily calorie maximum at 2,000 so I could burn off some fat and lose weight. It worked for me and I lost quite a bit.

The hardest part is your making the emotional and logical commitment to make weight loss a priority.

I am no longer obsessive but I approximate everything mentally and don't go nuts, but I am aware. These are a few of my main counts.

In my mind:
1 oz meat = 50 cal
1 oz seafood = 25 cal
1/2 cup starchy veggies = 50 cal
1 cup of veggies = 25 cal
1 slice bread = 75 cal
1 cup of any snack = 150 cal
1 cup fruit = 50 cal
4 oz wine =100 cal
12 oz light beer = 100 cal
pina colada = shut my eyes and enjoy it

I know this isn't exact but it keeps me in check. Right now I'm eating:
B: 1/2 c oatmeal made with skim milk, with 1/2 c frozen fruit
L: 4 oz seafood mixed with a low fat dressing (this week I'm using Paul Newman's lo fat sesame and ginger dressing) and 10 saltines, with any veggies I want
D: Whatever I choose to make but I eat a reasonable portion

Snacks: fruit/veggies/chips/cookies - I don't limit myself to anything

In the wake state, the body needs 73 calories to maintain bodily functions. (why people with anorexia survive years of suffering) If you are awake 16 hours a day your body burns 1,168 calories. If you consume 2000 calories, you must burn 832 calories each day in physical activity. (Calories needed for sleeping is 25) So you could take off an additional 200 calories leaving you with 632 calories. 3200 calories makes a pound. You gain an average of 3 to 5 lbs a week or 156 to 260 lbs a year.

Walking around WW does not burn enough calories to compensate for the samples that you ate in the Deli.

Some people say they are heavy and some people say they are moderately obese. The words chunky, husky, and big nowadays describes the person who is 80 to 100 lbs overweight. Anyone who weighs more than 40 lbs over their weight proportion is obese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom