ISO of Best Dog Food Brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dancer in the kitchen

Senior Cook
With all the ruckus going on about different brands of dog food, I'm a little leary of the brand I've been feeding my dogs for years . . . Iams. Granted, the recall was mostly geared towards the canned & pouched foods, but one can't help wondering. Eukanuba was recommended to me by one of the clerks at PetSmart, then I found out that it too was on the list of questionables. :(

Any suggestions on the best dry dog food to feed my very active Siberian Huskies?:huh:

I've done some research on the brands out there. In my opinion, BARF is the best. I can't afford it, so I feed my dogs Natural Balance.Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Pet Foods :1

Wellness and Chicken Soup are also good brands.

Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, etc aren't as good of brands as they claim to be.

Dancer, I am very happy with Natura Pet Products. They have several lines of food: California Natural, HealthWise and Innova. Please check out their website naturapet.com and see what you think. :)

jpmcgrew said:
:) Angie check your link they also had alot of their products recalled.

Right, the venison formulas. I don't have mine on that, thankfully. I have tried Wellness for them but their coats didn't look very good on it. I have yet to try Chicken Soup since they've done so well on Natural Balance.

This will be kinda long, but it is a very good resource... if you would like the rest of the article, PM me and I will send it to you. I would post the link, but you have to be a member to view the info.

Choosing the Best Food for Your Dog

by Robin K. Bennett

As professional dog trainer, I talk to many owners who are concerned about their dog's hyperactivity, lack of focus, and general inability to learn. Owners are often surprised to learn some of their concerns can be resolved, in part, by a change in diet. Since a dog's diet can have a dramatic influence on the animal's mood, ability to learn and overall health, behavioral counseling always includes information on choosing the best food for the dog.

With so many different brands of dog foods on the market today, choosing a healthy diet for your dog can be overwhelming. I will attempt to discuss some common areas of concern in choosing the best food for your dog.

How do you decipher dog food labels? Just as with human food labels, dog food ingredients are listed in descending order by weight. We know in choosing cereal for our children, a listing of ingredients that displays sugar first contains more sugar than any other ingredient. The same is true of dog food. The combination of the first three ingredients makes up the bulk of the food and is usually indicative of the overall quality of the food. Finding a meat source listed as the tenth or eleventh item in the list usually means very little meat is actually used.

Which ingredients should be listed first? A healthy diet should be based on an adequate, and clearly defined, protein source such as beef, chicken, or lamb (not something vague such as “meat” or ‘poultry”). Ingredients may list "by-products" or "meal". Generally speaking, meal is the better option. By-products are those items left over after the meat is removed from the animal source. Since by-products are not actually meat, they can often be difficult for your pet to digest.

Lamb, chicken, or beef meal, on the other hand, is the meat after the water and fat have been removed. Meal is highly digestible and filled with approximately 65 percent protein. Grains are often included in dog food because they are a cheaper alternative to quality meat sources. However, a larger volume of food must be eaten to fulfill the nutritional needs of the dog if grains are used as the primary protein source.

Are any ingredients bad for my dog? In people, a diet free of chemicals, colorings, and other fillers is considered far superior than one that is pre-fabricated and chemically preserved. The same is true for dogs. Chemicals and other additives are used in dog foods for several reasons: to make the food more palatable to the dog; to make the food more appealing to the human eye; or to preserve the dog food. However, dog food free of chemicals and naturally preserved is better for your dog. Constantly eating chemicals, food coloring, additives and other fillers is no better for our pets than it would be for us.

Corn, a relatively inexpensive ingredient used in many dog foods, has been linked with some behavioral concerns. Recent studies indicate corn can inhibit the intake of serotonin, which makes it more difficult for the dog to “chill out” and focus on training.

Better quality diets are made without preservatives or artificial colorings. The chemicals BHA and BHT are a particular concern when used in foods. These products are usually added to preserve the food but have also been shown to cause cancer in livestock. Most dog food manufacturers are beginning to take BHA and BHT from their food lines. A better preservative for dog food is Vitamin E or Vitamin C.

Are some dog food brands better than others? Generally speaking, most dog foods can be classified into three primary categories: commercial brands, premium brands, and super premium brands. The commercial brands are usually found in supermarkets and grocery stores. These brands are, by far, the cheapest in terms of cost per pound. A cheaper price usually means cheaper ingredients. Although the cost per pound is relatively low, owners feeding commercial brands will have to feed a much larger portion to their dog in order to meet the animal's nutritional requirements.

Premium brands are usually better quality than the commercial brands. They tend to be slightly more expensive, but feeding requirements are slightly less than commercial brands. In other words, smaller amounts of the higher quality foods can be fed to achieve the correct nutritional level.

In today's market, a new classification of foods has been developed. These foods, known as super premium dog foods, take a holistic approach to dog feeding. They usually have the highest quality ingredients and often use more high-quality meats and meal as the main source of protein as compared to commercial and premium brands, which use mostly grains. The super premium brands contain no "fillers" such as artificial colorings, flavoring, or chemicals, and they are usually preserved with Vitamins E and C. Super premium brands are usually purchased through distributors or shipped directly to your door from the company (usually at no cost). The food is usually prepared in small batches and is fresher than commercial or premium brands.

How do you know if your dog is eating a well-balanced diet? First, examine the overall health of the dog. The eyes should sparkle, the ears should look clean and smell fresh, and the coat should be glossy. If your dog has chronic ear or eye infections, has red or draining eyes, licks his paws all the time, or constantly bites at himself (as if he has fleas although you can't find fleas), talk to your vet or a holistic health practitioner about possible food or environmental allergies.

Dogs, like people, can have allergies and illnesses due to a weakened immune system. The immune system may fail after repeated ingestion of a poor quality diet. The effects may not be immediate but may be caused by a gradual chemical build up that weakens the immune system over time. Dogs can also be allergic to items in the food, such as wheat or beef, which can cause health problems.

Some behavioral problems caused by an inadequate diet may include: extreme bouts of hyperactivity, short attention span, or inability to learn.

Owners of dogs with such problems often describe the dogs as unruly, untrainable, and wild. I compare these dogs to children after they have eaten a large volume of candy. The child, like the dog, will have no attention span due to the inadequate diet. However, for the dog, the same "junk food" is being fed day after day, and the dog will always appear hyperactive.

Other complaints come from owners who describe their dogs as Dr. Jekell and Mr. Hyde in that the dog's personality seems to change dramatically throughout the day. One minute the dog is sweet and peaceful, the next minute the dog is racing around the room, biting and snapping at everything. Often the change in behavior can be linked to the feeding schedule.

If your dog displays any of the problems mentioned in this article, or if you would like to improve your dog's overall health and appearance, consider a change in diet. If your dog is on a particular diet due to a medical condition, be sure to talk to your vet before switching food.

If you decide to switch foods, make the change a gradual one since a sudden change in diet can upset the dog's digestive system and cause diarrhea.

All About Dogs recommends choosing a food recommended by “Whole Dog Journal,” the periodical rated number one for health and behavior information by the members of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT). All of these recommended choices are indicated with boldface type in the list of dog foods that begins on page 3.

Last edited:
Well, it isn't a big brand name but I swear by Beneful (all of the formulas). My dogs all love it and none of them have ever turned up their noses at it like they did with most of the Iams, Science Diet, etc brands.

Thank you all for your feedback! It's good to know there are other pet lovers out their that think of their pets as their kids. I have 2 step daughters & I love them, but my dogs are my babies.:)

Beneful..... :ROFLMAO: Is sugar still the 7th ingredient? It used to be in their first formula. Why do you think it's so tasty? And gawd forbid you ever having to clean up vomit on light colored carpeting with all those dyes in that food. Nice commercials though.

I've mentioned this a few times in the different dog food threads, but in a holistic food you can't beat Canidae. It is hands down the most reasonably priced AND they do not import any of their ingredients (assuming you live in the USA). I'd reccomend the chicken and rice formula because Huskies need more fat than most dogs, but I know people that feed the All Life Stages to their Huskies and their dogs look great. Canidae doesn't swell when wet, no unidentified ingredients (such as saying animal fat instead of chicken fat), 86% digestible, no fillers; wheats, soy, corn..... It's a dang good food.
But I've seen dogs get by on crappy food, too. Still, like I said before here, some people think dull coats, scratching, dandruff, and lethary are normal in their pets.

callie said:
Dancer, I am very happy with Natura Pet Products. They have several lines of food: California Natural, HealthWise and Innova. Please check out their website naturapet.com and see what you think. :)

Very nice AND thorough website. I will definitely read through this one as well as the Natural Balance & Canidae websites. Of course, all this research & making sure I get the best I can get for my babies won't do any good if they won't eat it, so I guess the final word will be on THEM! :LOL:

My vet said that vets today see illnesses that vets 80 yrs. ago never saw and that is attributed, she said, to over-immunization and commercial pet foods. In fact, she advocates a RAW food diet for pets, like they ate in the wild.

I did it for about a year. It is somewhat tricky. I always wondered if I was doing it correctly. I would give my dog raw chicken necks, thighs, etc. and add essential fatty acids, calcium powder, veggies, etc. I had to feed Molly (black lab) out on the deck because she would get so excited with the chicken she would go to the family room and plop it on the rug and eat it there. Winter got tricky - she'd be on the deck in the snow eating her food. By the way, you don't have to worry about the raw chicken bones splintering, it's only the cooked ones that do that. Also, bacteria isn't a problem either. My vet, Dr. Becker, said that the dogs pass the food so quickly, it isn't a problem.

After a year I gave up and now feed her Innova. It doesn't have rice which is a filler since dogs don't need carbs. Molly likes it, but Molly is a chow hound and will eat nearly anything.

My vet said Science Diet, Iams, and all those "designer" dog foods sold at most animal hospitals are junk.

Instead of dog treats, Molly gets raw veggies or fruit. When I make a salad, she gets the core of the lettuce, the peels from the carrots, etc. She loves it! This way she is still getting some raw food into her diet. Also, a raw egg now and then and an apple on occasion. She is 9 yrs. old and still acts like a pup. The only sign she is getting older is her white muzzle.

Green Lady said:
After a year I gave up and now feed her Innova. It doesn't have rice which is a filler since dogs don't need carbs. Molly likes it, but Molly is a chow hound and will eat nearly anything.

My vet said Science Diet, Iams, and all those "designer" dog foods sold at most animal hospitals are junk.

Instead of dog treats, Molly gets raw veggies or fruit. When I make a salad, she gets the core of the lettuce, the peels from the carrots, etc. She loves it! This way she is still getting some raw food into her diet. Also, a raw egg now and then and an apple on occasion. She is 9 yrs. old and still acts like a pup. The only sign she is getting older is her white muzzle.

I'm hearing more & more about Innova. I'm getting a whole list of brands to try now. Like I said in an earlier post, it'll be up to "the girls" to see what they like. I used to feed them Iams until the recalls. And now I've been hearing different things about the actual quality of their food. So . . . NEXT! :-p

I give my dogs baby carrots for their treats. They come running when they hear me opening the bag. :LOL:

Since someone mentioned Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul I thought I would mention that they are made by Diamond, the same co that had the problem last year (was it?) with the aflatoxin in their corn. Chicken Soup doesn't use corn and is rated high among foods, but from the looks of this Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul : Home it looks like they too import their ingredients.

Good post Green Lady. BARF is definitely the way to go if you don't try to make it into an exact science. And while dogs do enjoy raw veggies as treats, I'm sure you know they aren't getting any benefit from eating them raw. Not unless you pulp them for your poochies. Their digestive tracts are too short to break them down if fed in whole or cut form, but they do like eating them :)

Confusion?

This reminds me of when I had my first child. For the first year it was strictly breastmilk, like my mother said but the doctor rejected. Who did I listen to? The one w/experience and what has gone on since beginning of time. (My opinion)

This thread reminds me of all the books I read before I had the child. What I eventually did was follow my heart and take the information I was reading to be aware of abnormal indications I would see. Life is life! Making mistakes is normal and that is the way we learn from them. Dogs to me are so precious, just as a baby is. A baby grows up and shows feelings, a dog will always be the same unless they are getting sick or mistreated.

I have been feeding the dogs 12 and 10 Iams from the start. Plus vegetables and home made soup. Oh, forgot oatmeal. For the past few months they will not eat the Iams. Sometimes I think they can read the news! My diabetic dog is so sharp she will come and get me to give her the injection if it is past the time! When I told the vet this he seemed surprised and said he had heard similar stories like this. I love my 'babies' and that is exactly what they are. Since they won't eat the food, I have been giving them hamburger, what the vet said to give them when they had surgery or some sort of serious procedure in the office. Who knows if one can even trust the hamburger? Or anything else we want to eat?

Take one day at a time and make it through to the end of the day. As i believe, if we do our best God will do the rest. This is quote in my kitchen. Have to read this many, many times. I wish you all the best with the care and love you give your 'babies'. I do believe they are man's best friend.

Back
Top Bottom