Hawaiian style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KARLYN

Assistant Cook
i love to cook hawaiian plate lunches. kalua pig, shoyu chicken,teri pork,and much more i would love to swap recipes with everyone out thier. If you are interested please let me know mahalo from hawaii

Welcome,

I've been trying to duplicate the Ahi Poke I had in Hawaii.
This is as close as I have gotten:

½ lb Ahi tuna ½ inch dice (make sure it’s sushi grade tuna)

3 tbl sweet onion chopped fine
1 tbl green onion tops chopped fine
2 tsp garlic minced
2 tbl sesame oil
2 tsp oyster sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp sesame seeds
¼ tsp cayenne pepper flakes
½ tsp sea salt
1 tbl minced nori (sushi sea weed)

Mix, chill & let flavors mix until ready to serve, I like to let it warm up a bit prior to serving.

Can you help me with an authentic recipe?

Here's How We Make Ahi Poke (island Style)
1/2 Lb Ahi Tuna Cubed (fresh Or Prev. Frozen)
2tbl Furikake(sesame Seeds, Salt, Sugar,seaweed)
4tbl Limu Kohu Optional (seaweed)
3tbl Sweet Onion
2tbl Green Onion (tops Only )sliced
2tsp Fresh Garlic Minced
2tsp Oyster Sauce
2tbl Shoyu (u Can Use Soy Sauce Also)
2tsp Lemon Juice
1/4tsp Pepper Flakes
1/2tsp Hawaiian Salt(sea Salt)
Mix Well Putting In The Ahi ,last Chill Well. Serve Cold............

optional

1/2 Lb Ahi
3 Tbl Shoyu
1tsp Colmans Dry Mustard

Cube Ahi And Set Aside. Mix Shoyu And Mustard In A Separete Bowl.
Use The Mix As A Dipping Sauce(yummy)

I just have one question: Why on earth do you put a fried egg on top of so many of those Hawaiian lunch dishes? All I can think of is either you have an overabundance of eggs in Hawaii, or you're always skipping breakfast so you add an egg on top of your lunch to make up for it.

Caine, fried eggs are usually only served atop hamburger steak patties. That's it. It usually isn't served on top of any other typical plate lunch. If you see it a lot of TV shows it's because that one dish (called a Loco Moco) is just always featured.

A traditional Hawaiian style poke should have these ingredients:

Ahi
Sweet Onion
Green Onion
Sea Salt
Limu (Red Seaweed)
Inamona (crushed roasted kukui nuts)
Soy Sauce (optional)

With all of that other crap in there you're not even going to taste the fish if you're using fresh, high quality tuna. If you're using frozen tuna or tuna low in quality then by all means, put everything else in there to hide the taste.

If any one knows the answer it would be Ironchef..
By the way..how is the new job going?
Marge

T-roy said:
Thanks for the recipe. I tried using a locally available brand name soy sauce & it was overpowering. I'll have to try Shoyu.

T-Roy, shoyu and soy sauce are the same thing. Shoyu is the generic Japanese word for soy sauce (there are different types of shoyu depending on color, fermentation, ingredients used, etc.). Try using Kikkoman brand soy sauce. It's fairly mild, well balanced, and should be available almost anywhere. It's not as salty as other soy sauces so it will be a little easier to work with.

Dove, the new job is going well. This is a special that I ran the other day:

Butter Poached Diver Scallops with Marinated Grape Tomatoes and Japanese Cucumber, Lemon-Garlic and Chive Oils, Parmigiano Reggiano Foam, and Chervil

Aloha Karlyn! I've never made Hawaiian food before but sure am looking forward to trying it. Welcome here.

Back
Top Bottom