Greek Grilled Eggplant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SurvivorGirl

Sous Chef
When ever i go to a greek restaurant I order the "veggie kabobs", the all tend to have eggplant on them. The eggplant is always really nice and soft, (like cutting through warm butter;)), they are also always very creamy inside (skin on). I can never seem to perfect this when i cook them at home, does anyone know what type of eggplant is most commenly used for that sort of a dish?
Thx!:stuart:

It's not the type of eggplant - it's the cooking method.

You can use both the large oval Italian & smaller round Italian types or the long thin Asian types for grilling or baking. The key is to leave the skin on & bake or grill until it reaches the consistency you want. Just test frequently with a sharp thin knife or skewer.

BreezyCooking said:
It's not the type of eggplant - it's the cooking method.

You can use both the large oval Italian & smaller round Italian types or the long thin Asian types for grilling or baking. The key is to leave the skin on & bake or grill until it reaches the consistency you want. Just test frequently with a sharp thin knife or skewer.
ahh, good point:)
I have only really ever cooked with the standard oval type eggplant, but ill have to try it with different varities!
Thx!

SG, here is a Greek eggplant & lamb kabob recipe, made on the grill, you might like. It's not all veggies, but the different varieties of eggplant, cooking method etc. may help.

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman]LAMB AND EGGPLANT KABOBS[/FONT]​

Eggplant

Last edited:
mish said:
SG, here is a Greek eggplant & lamb kabob recipe, made on the grill, you might like. It's not all veggies, but the method etc. may help.

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman]LAMB AND EGGPLANT KABOBS[/FONT]​

Eggplant
That looks awesome!
I now need to go out and get lemons (for lemonade) and J[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman]apanese eggplants.
I'v taken to using TVP (AKA soy ground beef) in place of ground beef for recipes such as meatballs and meatloafs. it works great and now i'm tempted to try replacing lamb with it. may not give the exact same flavour but it could be interesting!:chef:
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] [/FONT][/FONT]

SurvivorGirl said:
That looks awesome!
I now need to go out and get lemons (for lemonade) and J[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman]apanese eggplants.
I'v taken to using TVP (AKA soy ground beef) in place of ground beef for recipes such as meatballs and meatloafs. it works great and now i'm tempted to try replacing lamb with it. may not give the exact same flavour but it could be interesting!:chef:
[/FONT]

That would probably work too, since the kabobs call for ground lamb (or beef), that way everything should get cooked at the same time. Let us know how it turns out. :chef:

This one isn't a Greek recipe, but I adore eggplant & I saved this to make with a side of pasta, as soon as I can.

Eggplant with Tomato & Garlic Sauce

And, Welcome to Discuss Cooking SurvivorGirl :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom