ISO Corky's dry rub recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome Warrior!!

Are you really only 11 years old? If so, It's good to see such a young person interested in the Culinary Arts. BRAVO!!!

Corky's has extended it's operation into several States, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Kentucky. Each time an old family business expands it seems something is lost. Never living up to the original. This one is no exception. Corky's in Memphis (original Popular Ave. location) is still producing some pretty good BBQ. The expansion locations are more of a "fast food" atmosphere with the BBQ being Ok at best. If you live near one of the locations you can purchase a rub there that carrys their name. Also check Supermarkets in the area as another possible place to find the rub, and of course the web site will work. Good hunting!

Miss Katie..
If you are ever in Lexington you and Mr Buck can check them out!

Uncle Bob said:
Corky's in Memphis (original Popular Ave. location) is still producing some pretty good BBQ.

Still the best in Memphis, IMO. Has to be the one on Poplar. Poop on the Rendezvous!

Best Memphis BBQ of all coming up this weekend at Tom Lee Park! Wish I was there with the Parrothead team, nonstop Buffett tunes, and the wondrous margarita machine.

mudbug said:
Still the best in Memphis, IMO. Has to be the one on Poplar. Poop on the Rendezvous!

Best Memphis BBQ of all coming up this weekend at Tom Lee Park! Wish I was there with the Parrothead team, nonstop Buffett tunes, and the wondrous margarita machine.

Agreed MissMud! And I got "snookered" out of this week-end!!:mad:

Awww, Uncle Bob. Sorry that we both are missing it. We have a pale imitation Corky's here in the northern VA area called Red Hot & Blue , but it just ain't the same, dang it!

Yeah, there was a Red, Hot & Blue near our house in Maryland. The poor folks back there (east) thought they were eating "real" barbecue. We are fortunate that where live now, we can have some of the best barbecue in the country.

Guess this weekend is the big "Memphis in May" event. Boy, oh boy, I can only imagine how yummy it's going to smell down there! Yum. Yum.

Katie, the first year I volunteered for the MIM contest and worked a team I lost my voice from inhaling so much smoke from the cookers. Small price to pay for such a great time!

Miss Mud..

The Red Hot & Blue in my territory left town a good while back! Seems like their tator salad was ok. Two Corky's location's. One I think is doing business. There are enough immature palates to keep it afloat.:ermm: The other I don't think will make it long term. Meat in both locations is just so so. My guess, Miss Mud is somebody bought the family out and is trying to make a go on the name. They had a location in Florida that has closed. Name alone want cut it for very long down this way.

The tater salad is still pretty good up here. But you're right - the BBQ is what is 'sposed to sell. Doesn't matter how many old posters you got of Muddy Waters and photos of Robt Johnson and all on the walls. Nobody up here has had the nerve to actually use the Corky's name....yet.

I think RH&B was started by some Corky's investors (TN politicians among them).

I envy you guys' having access to great BBQ. In my area the BBQ is often a pale imitation of the real thing. I make better pulled pork than any I've had around here.

Katie E said:
Andy, if you have a stovetop smoker, I can offer a recipe that is close to what we have here.

Thanks, Katie. I don't have a stove top smoker. The last time I tried smoking in the oven, it was a disaster. I do pork butt or ribs in the oven. The only way I can get smoke involved is to use liquid smoke.

Thanks, Uncle Bob. I've seen that item on Emeril's show and others. It is kind of small. I don't think I could even get a meal of ribs for two into one.

Andy, can you invest in a grill that can double as a smoker, or get a dedicated smoker? I understand about the lack of good BBQ. While I was up in Michigan, NOBODY, not even my Exec. Chef, could make decent BBQ. I started making my own, in my backyard, and it far surpassed anybody else's.

Now that I'm back in OK, there's BBQ places everywhere. Most, I've never tried, some I have, and didn't care for them. I just prefer the stuff I make.

Allen, I live in a town house condo with a limited backyard. I have a Weber gas grill and that's about all that's reasonable. If I had a private home, I'd have a smoker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom