Can I make cheese sauce ahead of time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I'm making a cheese sauce tomorrow for some broc/cauliflower mixture I'm serving. I"m just doing flour, butter, milk and adding the cheese.

Can I make this ahead of time? I'm always afraid the final product won't be as good reheated than when it first comes off the stove. I'll probably want to make it many hours head of time, so it will have to be refrigerated.

Is that something I can just heat up in the microwave?

Sounds like a bad idea legend.

Any reason you can't just whip it up real quick before the meal? If at all possible, i would try to.

If you do make it, in my experience, cheeses like velveeta hold up better to being reheated.

I've never made it ahead of time on purpose, but when I've had leftovers it was really good. When reheating, I put a bit of milk in the bowl and add the cheese sauce and whisk vigorously. I've never been disappointed.

I've often used surplus sauce the next day, or even the day after that and it's been absolutely fine.I'd go for it if it were me.

a day late I guess, but I would suggest (for next time? ;) ) if you need to make the cheese sauce ahead of time - after sauce is done, lay a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface, then wrap tightly and chill. When you are ready to heat for use, put in a heat-resistant bowl (or a double boiler) and gently warm over hot water. You willl have no trouble with it.

"heat-resistant bowl (or a double boiler) and gently warm over hot water."

That's how I do mine. I find it has a tendency to separate if I zap it, even if I don't zap it for long.

cjs said:
a day late I guess, but I would suggest (for next time? ;) ) if you need to make the cheese sauce ahead of time - after sauce is done, lay a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface, then wrap tightly and chill. When you are ready to heat for use, put in a heat-resistant bowl (or a double boiler) and gently warm over hot water. You willl have no trouble with it.

Actually it's today that I'm making the cheese sauce. Thanks!!.
Maybe I'll try this, but i don't have a double boiler. hmmmm. So I make the cheese sauce. Pour it out of the pan, put it in a plastic ware containor? and/or put wrap on. Put it in the refrigerator. than when ready to serve warm it over hot water.

If you have a glass or metal bowl that will sit on top of a pot, you can use that combination as a double boiler. The key is to warm it gently over water and not bring it to a boil. If you get to boiling, the sauce will break.

Cheese sauce is fine re-heated. I use the micro-wave. Just zap it a minute or even 30 seconds at a time, stirring a you go. Don't over-heat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom