Ideas to make Chicken Soup Great?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Anyone have ideas to make chicken soup something above average?
I have spices in there along with Asparagus, corn and chicken of course.
Thanks! :chef:

You need some with a "B". You have Asparagus and Corn. Where is ingredient B?

When I make chicken soup, I also make my noodles, as well as add a lot of thyme. I love thyme in chicken soup, and lots of it. Another way to go is by using lot of pepper.

Along with the thyme, add either sage or savory. Have you also added some garlic and chopped onions to it?

you can add strachiatella to the soup..i LOVE strachiatella mmmm
-egg
-grated parmesan cheese
f-inely chopped parsley (optional)

mix all these ingredients together and just before serving the soup pour it in the soup so the egg and stuff cooks serve the soup and MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM YUMMM!!!!!!!!!

Hey, DS! In addition to all the above, I find that a little ume plum vinegar (yes, even for Western dishes <g>) will take any good soup or broth over the top. I also find chervil a welcome addition.

StirBlue said:
You need some with a "B". You have Asparagus and Corn. Where is ingredient B?

how about bok choy!

i like to add some fresh cilantro to my chicken soup once in a while. or if i have it in the cupboard, i'll add some white shrooms, sriracha, and tom yum soup base, to spice things up a bit. good for clearing the sinuses when you're sick.

Last edited:
We have a soup we make which is basically just water, whole chicken chopped up into peices - cook them together with some salt and pepper (lemon pepper is good) until chicken is cooked and falling apart. Add potatoes and pumpkin in peices.. keep cooking till the vegies are cooked. I mash up the pumpkin into the water a bit as I don't like whole pieces of pumpking. Sometimes I add a bit of bullion cube to the water too. Just before turning it off, we chop up one bunch of coriander and add that to it. And turn it off.

Then when serving we put heaps of lemon juice in the bowl according to taste. Eat it with bread.

It's something my mum made for us when we were sick and we love it :) The coriander gives it a yummy fresh flavour. Lemon juice is essential!

I like celery and onions in chicken soup. Never heard of asparagus in chicken soup; it seems to me that, since it has such a strong flavor, it might add a something that I wouldn't enjoy.

Did you use chicken broth or stock to make it? That would help a lot, too.

Instead of cooking your chicken in the broth, try using an herb-roasted chicken. Use whatever herbs you like...I like S&P,parsley, sage or rosemary, and thyme. Rub the chicken well, inside and out, with olive oil and the herbs and roast using your usual method.
Use purchased or homemade chicken broth for the soup, and add the drippings from the roasting pan. Add chopped onion, a little garlic, celery, carrot, cut up chicken and noodles...either homemade or a good substantial packaged egg noodle.

Or, skip the noodles and use rice instead.

Or, skip the rice and add potatoes, mushrooms, green beans, corn and frozen peas.

By the way, I love brussels sprouts, and did try putting them in the chicken soup once, but I didn't like the taste they gave the soup.

*Note: I have tasted chicken soup that had a little curry powder in it, and it was very good. I'm not experienced with using curry, and haven't tried using myself.

Last edited:
I make a tomato base soup/stew.

Carrots, onions, celery, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, corn, cannellini beans, herbs, chunks of roasted chicken.....elbow mac. I never make it the same.

Use a little less tomato than broth. If you're making a broth based soup, divide in half and add the tomato to one.

Add bruised/smashed cilantro root, lemongrass, ginger, and bundle of scallions when simmering your chicken soup.

i guess, first of all one has to define what chicken soup really is. Is it pure chicken broth or is it soup that is based on chicken. To me it is pure chicken broth, clear bulion if you wish. Everything else are diferent soups. For example I make Borscht from chicken broth, will you call that chicken soup, of course not. I do add onion and carots and celery to soup, when I make it, but then i discard all of that stuff. That's just me. So to me good chicken soup is en exelent stock and not any special spices or any other additions. With additions comes different names, i.e. noodle soup, potato soup, etc.

CharlieD said:
i guess, first of all one has to define what chicken soup really is. Is it pure chicken broth or is it soup that is based on chicken. To me it is pure chicken broth, clear bulion if you wish. Everything else are diferent soups. For example I make Borscht from chicken broth, will you call that chicken soup, of course not. I do add onion and carots and celery to soup, when I make it, but then i discard all of that stuff. That's just me. So to me good chicken soup is en exelent stock and not any special spices or any other additions. With additions comes different names, i.e. noodle soup, potato soup, etc.
Well, clearly we all should try to use the same terminology :)

Chicken soup includes stock or broth, but broth is broth and stock is stock- they're not soup.

This is a pretty good description, I think: Chicken soup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll down and it describes the differences between soup, stock, broth, bouillon and consomme.

re: borscht, if I'm not mistaken, it's named for its primary ingredient, which is beets, correct? In the same way, chicken soup is named for its primary ingredient - chicken - not for the liquid used to make it.

Last edited:
I am of the same opinion as CharlieD.To me, everytime you toss something else into a wonderful chicken broth/stock (the distinctions are becoming fuzzy in practice I believe, although they need not be) you are making something else.Like pasta fagioli, or minestrone, or caldo Gallego, or hot and sour, or egg drop, or ............ I love all of them and taking chicken stock (what I usually use) and tossing in what tastes good to me at the moment is something I often do. We generally call it glob, and it is very tasty. Whatever the heck is in it at the time.But a chicken soup to me should be a broth, made with herbs and often a mirepoix, with julienned chicken and maybe some small julienned carrots. And if you want to toss in a smidgen of something else, fine.But to me, and only to me, a chicken soup should let the flavor of the poultry dominate.If one can capture the soul fo a chicken in a dish, it would be in the soup.Just my take on things, take care.

Back
Top Bottom