ISO Healthy Cheese Sauce Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Does anyone have a recipe for a healthy cheese sauce? By healthy I'm thinking no Velveeta/only natural ingredients, etc. I'm looking for something that will make some new veggies a little more palatable to Sofie since she's into dipping and dunking foods.:)

Basic cheese sauce

Here's a basic cheese sauce recipe. Use your cheese of choice depending on the other components of the meal (cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper Jack, etc.):

Cheese Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
3/4 pound cheese, shredded, about 2 1/2 cups

In a medium sauce pot, melt butter and add flour to it. Cook flour and butter 1 to 2 minutes over moderate heat, then whisk in milk. When milk comes to a bubble, stir in cheese with a wooden spoon.

Pa,
most kids love to dunk,but,wouldn't a cheese sauce firm up after it tarts to cool? Would Miss Sweetie Pie eat diced up veggies with the sauce poured over them? I got Cade and Carson to eat broccoli by cutting in a dice, then melting cheese and so they didn't have to use theri fingers I got some of those long fancy toothpicks cut off the pointed end and let them stab the veggie and cheese that way. I sit with them as I would not allow a little one to have a toothpick with out supervision. I've tried several cheeses on them and they went for it..I just picked soft, mild cheese that melt easily..They love a soft brie and I even tried a smoked gouda..Just an idea for you:)
kadesma

GotGarlic's recipe is a good one. Just be sure not to boil the mixture with the cheese added as it will cause the sauce to break. I actually whisk in the cheese with the burner off.

And if you're looking for less fat in your recipe, GotGarlic's recipe will also work well with 2% milk instead of whole milk if you so desire. However, I do draw the line at low-fat cheeses - find them relatively tasteless & impossible to cook with.

As something different from cheese sauce, you could also try, parsley sauce; bar b q sauce, honey & mustard sauce etc etc.

Thanks, everyone! And yes, I agree about low-fat cheeses!:sick:

Kads, I'll try just melting some cheese over things too--she's just so into dunking right now I figured I'd capitalize on that!:LOL: And would you believe she loves plain steamed broccoli. She asks for it a lot--even for breakfast!:rolleyes:

I checked several cheese sauce recipes at Cooking Light, and they're all pretty much the same basic recipe, with only the type of cheese changing:

Basic Cheese Sauce

Ingredients

1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
3 whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheese of choice

Preparation

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium sauce-pan, and cook over low heat 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool 5 minutes. Strain milk mixture through a sieve, discarding solids. Place flour in pan; gradually add 1/4 cup milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over low heat 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add remaining milk; cook until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and add cheese, stirring until melted.

Nutritional Information

CALORIES 113(55% from fat); FAT 6.8g (sat 4.3g, mono 1.9g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 6.8g; CHOLESTEROL 22mg; CALCIUM 203mg; SODIUM 144mg; FIBER 0.1g; IRON 0.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5.8g

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom