Cheese Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
I live in the new jersey/philladelphia region. There are some fine cheeses here.

Personally, I enjoy Yancy's 9 month aged white cheddar,
Yancy's Buffalo Wing (cheddar,Hotsauce, habanaro)
and the Muenster cheese is good too.

I'm a cheddar lover really, but Im trying to try other cheeses. What I really enjoy is sharp pungent cheeses, but not so much Bleu/veined cheese unless its on a salad or cooked onto a sandwhich...

What do you guys(n gals) recommend/like and why? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hiya Mikey. Have no knowledge of the Yancy's brand.

I like cheddar and some of the sharp ones, but there's something nice about the mellower Havartis and Jarlsburg Swiss cheeses of the world. Not everything needs a bite to it.

p.s. can't stand blue cheese in any form

I love aged cheeses, like aged gouda, for example, or aged gruyere. Some of the moisture has left it, giving the cheese a drier texture and a more concentrated, stronger flavor. The best with red wine, IMO.

On the other hand, if you like pungent (some call it "stinky"), cheese, you might try Limburger. It is a very soft cheese, but, boy, it's strong!

Lee

:) OMG!What about the cheese's from all over the world like Manchago(spain) and the French cheeses and and, and,I just had the real feta cheese from Bulgaria made with sheep milk.OMG!It was so good much more tangy and tasty than the Feta we get here.
You need to check out.Cheese, Specialty Food, Gourmet Gift Baskets, Cheese Gifts: igourmet
About 2 times a year I make an order from them including swiss raclette.They also really explain all the cheeses they offer from all over the world with recipes.Oh Yea!By the way I love , love,love cheese any kind any where but melted is the ultimate.

I'm a big cheese fan... gots to subscribe to this thread!!! I like any and all cheeses and love trying new ones!!!! Cheese is like fine wine... there is one for any occasion!!!

I love aged cheddars, but haven't found my absolute favorite yet. I love 3 to 5 year aged Balderson Heritage Cheddars, but recently tried Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar. It isn't as dry, and so is a younger cheese (not shown on the label, and has a very well ballanced flavor, no quite as salty as the Balderson cheese. Both are very good cheeses. I also recently tried Kaseberg brand Butterkase cheese. It is similar in texture and flavor to a good Havarti, but with a bit more robust flavor. I was quite pleased with it. I love a good Havarti for its rich, almost buttery flavor. It's a favorite as well. I like Manchego, but it's a bit mild for my tastes. A good American Colby is hard to beat. And in this case, I'll go with the Kraft brand. I love a great Swiss cheese, but find it difficult to locate a really well flavored brand around my part of the country. Gouda, Ementeller, Monterey Jack, Provolone, and Mozzarella all fall into the pretty tasty, but not great for snackin'. They are better with something like crackers, or on a sandwich. I love a good Asiago, Romano, or Parmesano with pasta, or grated onto a salad. I will occasionally slice paper-thin slices to much on as well. Farmers Cheese is pretty tasty for just snacking too. I'm also fond of large curd cottage cheese and prefer 4% milkfat as the lighter fat varieties can sometimes carry a bitter flavor componant. Muenster is an all time favorite as well. So, I guess if I had to pin down my favorites, this is the list I'd make, in order:
1. 5 year aged Balderson Heritage Cheddar
2. Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar
3. Havarti
4. Butterkase
5. Gruyere
6. Parmesano Regiano
7. Asiago
8. Pecorino Romano
9. Colby
10. Well aged, full-flavored Swiss
11. Ementellar
12. Cottage Cheese

There are so many other cheeses that I use and enjoy, but the above listed cheeses are standouts for me. I even use Velveeta.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Someone recommended I try Roquefort, but the local cheeser (deli man) said its similar to bleu, which i wouldnt eat alone.

Thanks for all your fine input/perspectives, this page is getting bookmarked!

Muenster is delightfully buttery and soft. Preferable Wisonsin Muenster. The brand I last had was Valley Forge, it was good.

As long as kept well, the older the cheddar the better :)

Smoked CHeeses with Bacon are illustrious. I always loved the cheesey smoked bacon taste. Smoked cheeses in general I just love.

With wine, I like smooth cheeses, like the Muenster, Colby is surprising with wine, and so are the many "fine" dessert cheeses which Im just getting into.

Behold the power.

I also have a love for good cheese spreads or pub cheese. In the Michigan/Ohio region you can find the best cheese spread ive ever had "Winshulers" I believe. Out here in Philly, Sharp Cheddar Pub CHeese is the best stuff I can find. The Yancys Buffalo wing cheese is similar in this respect.

Last edited:
I love red leister! I also like really aged strong mature cheddar. And for some things I like mozzerella. Ive not tried many other cheeses. Ive tried parmesan but dont like it muchhh

I like cheese, real cheese. SO many kinds, so little time to enjoy them all. RIght now Cotswald comes to mind.

"Yancy" brand cheese are available here in VA, & I do enjoy the hot-pepper types - but they're definitely not a good representation of cheese in general, as they're a processed product.

If you like the "Yancy" cheeses (which I do), you should definitely start trying other cheeses of the same frame - mature cheddars, Spanish sheep milk cheeses, etc.

If you like Munster, you must try the real thing, French Munster. There is no comparison. This may be my favorite cheese.

I love a lot of different cheeses but some of my favorites are as follows:

Brie
Roquefort
Camembert
Chevre also known as Goat Cheese
Fresh Mozarella
Feta
Asiago
Parmesean
Mild Cheddar
Fontina
Mascarpone
Swiss
Provolone

BBQ Mikey said:
Someone recommended I try Roquefort, but the local cheeser (deli man) said its similar to bleu, which i wouldnt eat alone.

Roquefort isn't similar to blue cheese -- it is blue cheese. :) There are many varieties from many different places. I'd suggest trying some Maytag blue from Iowa (which I think is some of the best) or some from Denmark, as the latter is creamier and less pungent.

I was in London 2 weeks ago and went to Neil's Yard Dairy to get some cheddar but they were closed for a bank holiday! :furious: And I couldn't go back the next day!:unhappy:

I love so many cheeses ... I am sort of a cheese freak .... but generally like the well aged ones better, like aged gouda and Vella jack.

I generally buy small amounts of artisanal cheeses, but always have some greyere, manchego and jarlsberg in the fridge. And kraft singles.

I don't go at all for flavored/herbed/smoked cheese. I like the flavor of the cheese, not the additives. Exception being Boursin or something like that.

I love cheese. I think Longhorn Colby or Muenster are my favorites.

I'm scared to try Bleu Cheese though.

Once I tried Port Salaut cheese and fell in LOVE..but I haven't been able to find it since.

jenneyema - you mentioned aged gouda - have you tried a four or five-year aged gouda? It's just so wonderful - I love the "crystals" in it and a little goes a loooong way!

kitchenelf said:
jenneyema - you mentioned aged gouda - have you tried a four or five-year aged gouda? It's just so wonderful - I love the "crystals" in it and a little goes a loooong way!

Yes, I have had a 4 year old gouda. And I also love that texture with the crunchy crystals.

I love doing taste tests at the cheese store comparing young cheeses to 1/2/3 + year old ones. I could eat my whole lunch that way. Of course I always buy a lot so they are patient with me.

I also love cheese. I try to experiment with them as much as possible.
I especially love smoked cheeses, like smoked gouda and smoked mozzerrella. I like brie, I like provolone, I like swiss, I like chedder (not too sharp, though). Heck, I even tried limberger, once!

Back
Top Bottom