Is that good to consume canned products?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennerose

Assistant Cook
Is that good for our health to consume the canned products.There will be any side effects if we consume the canned food.Usally sodium benzote is added to some of the canned products.Is that really preserve the food items.There are so many canned products such as Aparagus,Artichoke,Bamboo shoot Pineapple,cherry and so on.Why dont we use fresh food rather then using can products.Fresh food has all nutrients in it,More than its fresh.Can any one tell one valid reason to use canned products.There are so many chemicals added in to it while canning the food items to preserve them.So I feel consuming canned products often will spoil once health.Do we get required nutrients while consuming the canned products.Yes/No

All I can say is I'm still going strong at a relatively ripe old age having consumed canned products; salt and all the other things allegedly harmful if we eat them; and I enjoy them all too!

jennerose, your post is in the canning & preserving catagory. Sorry, but the overall tone to your posts (in other topics, i.e. sandwiches, caesar salad) are statements that are inaccurate, or trying to 'teach' cooks/chefs a lesson - then you come back and ask for suggestions i.e. sandwiches. You laid down the sandwich 'law' posted it in the sandwich catagory then ask for sandwich suggestions. You also commented - lettuce is for 'heat patients' in your caesar salad recipe. I'm not a 'heat patient, & I like lettuce!

Sorry, but, can't make heads or tails of what you are trying to accomplish here.

In answer to this question, or are you making another statement? I have eaten canned foods, and you might do a search & will find discussions covering the same topic.

Last edited:
there`s nothing wrong with Canned food per se, any more than Jarring or other means of preservation.

Sodium Benzoate isn`t going to harm you either, when it hits the stomach the Sodium is stripped off leaving sodium chloride and benzoic acid.

Benzoic is almost insoluble in aqueous conditions and it`s VERY VERY hard to strip off the bonds to leave anything harmfull like Benzene even with Lab reagents! you need EXTREMELY powerfull reducing agents such as Lithium aluminium hydride or sodium borohydride and do this under reflux, if you had reducuers anywhere CLOSE to those in your system you would Detonate!
it just isn`t going to happen, not now not ever (unless we break the laws of Physics and Chemistry) :D

edit: sorry for the chem 101, lesson, but facts are facts :)

Last edited:
Canning & preserving is different than buying canned food off a shelf. Your question is eating canned food. Many home cooks can & preserve foods from their garden. Check out the topic you are posting in. Please check your sources. TIA

Last edited:
In the US, it is possible to buy canned goods that do not have any chemicals added, not even salt.

I can a lot of my own fruits and vegetables, without salt and sugar or any other chemical. Canned goods are necessary to preserve the harvest!

I believe our forebears canned and preserved much of their food since they only had the one season to get that food, unlike our ability now to get food from all over the world as "fresh". There is nothing wrong with canned food, either home canned or from the supermarket.

I moved this to "Food Talk". It seems it's not actually about home canning foods - more an issue with consuming canned foods. It's not a cooking related question so I figured it was "food talk" :chef:

Not everyone can have fresh foods all the time.

jennerose - you say there are side effects if we consume canned foods. What side effects are you talking about? Other people have asked you questions in other threads too. It would be nice if you could answer them.

jennerose said:
Is that good for our health to consume the canned products.There will be any side effects if we consume the canned food.Usally sodium benzote is added to some of the canned products.Is that really preserve the food items.There are so many canned products such as Aparagus,Artichoke,Bamboo shoot Pineapple,cherry and so on.Why dont we use fresh food rather then using can products.Fresh food has all nutrients in it,More than its fresh.Can any one tell one valid reason to use canned products.There are so many chemicals added in to it while canning the food items to preserve them.So I feel consuming canned products often will spoil once health.Do we get required nutrients while consuming the canned products.Yes/No

Moderation and Variety are the keys to good health. When eating balanced nutrition, we choose from the four main food groups. To achieve the requirements, we must also choose from the different food storage methods to maintain a stocked pantry year round. It is essential to preserve food to avoid famines.

The most convenient storage method for you may be in fresh foods as you are a frequent shopper. Someone living miles from a grocery store with no ground for a garden will have to supplement their pantry with many preserved food supplies. All natural foods are not available on the market for home canning.

When the label domestic is used for oranges, grapes, apples, and tomatoes, it means that they are eaten as sold. Tomatoes are most commonly sold for salad purposes. The fruits listed contain very little juice.

Many people cannot afford to process their foods for storage. With two people often working away from home, there is little time to take advantage of processing their foods for storage. Some people simply do not have the talent or interest in preserving food.

"We get by with a little help from our friends." :)

kitchenelf said:
jennerose - you say there are side effects if we consume canned foods. What side effects are you talking about? Other people have asked you questions in other threads too. It would be nice if you could answer them.

Hey, kitchen.... I have yet another theory!

jennerose is testing out some language translating software and we are guinea pigs!

Whaddaya think?

Lee

Canned food is a convenience and the further we get from the farm, the harder it is to do without conveniences.

The initial idea behind canning (home canning, that doesn't use preservatives) was to prolong the growing season, or to make produce available throughout the year. Consider the 1800s - many vegetables were only available during the late summer months. The only way to get peas in December was to can them. The only way to enjoy strawberries in March was to make jam. It wasn't until the past century that someone got the bright idea that if preservatives were added things would taste better. Wrong....you are right, all those nasties do are lower our immunities and make us sick.

So, in all seriousness, I suggest you go right ahead and search and enjoy fresh produce. Eat what's in season...why eat food that already traveled more in a week than we may do in 10 years?

I think everyone needs to remember that we don't all live next to the food source, and we have to consume frozen and canned vegetables and fruits, or those imported from somewhere far away. If we didn't have these food sources we'd all have nutrition deficiencies. I don't know how I'd live without canned tomatoes and beans (yes, I can make beans from the dried, but you never know how old they are and sometimes they never really rehydrate). Like most of us over 45, I grew up on canned veggies of all sorts, and especially tomatoes for much of the year, and I'm fine. I make tons of soup from scratch on a regular basis, but we still supplement our diet from cans. You have to eat, and sometimes people seem (to me) to get paranoid about prepared foods. As long as you are NOT opening a can every time you need something to eat, I don't see the problem.

Back
Top Bottom