The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melsgarden

Assistant Cook
I just joined while searching for information on skate. I love to cook, but have very little information on this fish. We caught a small one today (he barbed my husband when we were trying to pull the hook out, but he feels OK, other than the swelling and the discomfort). We live in North Carolina and were just trolling along when we caught this beautiful animal. Looking online it seems "skate" don't have barbs, but any rays I can find are sharp nosed, this one was exceedingly blunt nosed.

Anyhow, I probably should go to a more "fish" sight, but, loving cooking, thought I'd join you for awhile!

Mel

Welcome to DC, melsgarden. We're glad you found us. Sounds like you had a fishing adventure. I have no experience with skate/ray, but I'm sure someone will come along and offer help. We have plenty of members who are filled with knowledge.

However, I just did a Google search for skate fish images and found several with both blunt and sharp noses.

Please stay a nice long while.

Last edited:
If it looks anything like this,

Deep%20sea%20creatures.jpg

i'd say catch and release is your best bet.

Hi Mel,
Welcome to DC..Glad to have you join us. You might ask over in our fish and seafood topics..Many knowledgable people who will be more than happy to try and help.

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom