Coconut oil confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
here i am... just searching the internet about coconut oil and for every article that says, "it'll kill you... it's horrible for your heart," i find another article that says, "the saturated fats are medium chain triglycerides and are actually a GREAT energy source."

and the debate goes on...

i don't doubt that coconut oil was vilified while other oils were promoted because of various reasons = $$$, but what is the deal?

anyone here using coconut oil, and if so, how do you use it... how do you like it?

Sorry, I havn't got any coconut oil. I think you are spot on when you say these things are promoted or otherwise to suit the marketing tactics.

I did read somewhere that walnut oil is very good for you!:LOL:

black chef said:
here i am... just searching the internet about coconut oil and for every article that says, "it'll kill you... it's horrible for your heart," i find another article that says, "the saturated fats are medium chain triglycerides and are actually a GREAT energy source."...

BC:

Coconut oil can be both a less healthy oil and a great source of energy. They are not the same thing.

Coconut oil has the highest levels of saturated fats and the lowest levels of poly- and monounsaturated fats of the common oils. Saturated fats are considered the least healthful of the three.

All fats contain around 120 calories per tablespoon so are a source of energy. In general, all fats contain 2.25 times more energy (measured in calories) than proteins and carbohydrates.

Andy M. said:
BC:

Coconut oil can be both a less healthy oil and a great source of energy. They are not the same thing.

Coconut oil has the highest levels of saturated fats and the lowest levels of poly- and monounsaturated fats of the common oils. Saturated fats are considered the least healthful of the three.

All fats contain around 120 calories per tablespoon so are a source of energy. In general, all fats contain 2.25 times more energy (measured in calories) than proteins and carbohydrates.

it is the gross statement that ALL saturated fat is bad for you... and now, you see coconut oil making a comeback as a healthy oil.

meanwhile, we americans are still suffering from heart disease, obesity, cholesterol, etc. even though we followed the high carb diets and vilified coconut oil and butter.

butter has some issues, but seriously, what doesn't taste good with an extra dab of butter attached?:LOL:

black chef said:
it is the gross statement that ALL saturated fat is bad for you... and now, you see coconut oil making a comeback as a healthy oil.

meanwhile, we americans are still suffering from heart disease, obesity, cholesterol, etc. even though we followed the high carb diets and vilified coconut oil and butter.

butter has some issues, but seriously, what doesn't taste good with an extra dab of butter attached?:LOL:

Don't be mislead. Americans are suffering from heart disease, obesity, high cholesterol because they eat too much and don't exercise enough.

Because it's a gross statement doesn't mean it's not true. Saturated fats as a category are not as healthful as the other categories of fats.

What you may be seeing now is some disguised coconut oil industry websites trying to promote their oil as good for you.

Andy M. said:
Don't be mislead. Americans are suffering from heart disease, obesity, high cholesterol because they eat too much and don't exercise enough.

Because it's a gross statement doesn't mean it's not true. Saturated fats as a category are not as healthful as the other categories of fats.

What you may be seeing now is some disguised coconut oil industry websites trying to promote their oil as good for you.
"The campaign against coconut oil started four decades ago when researchers fed animals coconut oil that was altered to remove the essential fatty acids. For reasons that are unclear, the researchers destroyed the excellent coconut oil by heating it to a high temperature and pumping hydrogen into it thus changing it to a highly toxic trans fat.

In summary they ruined the coconut oil and then blamed the oil for the resulting negative health results. Go figure."

I'm currently trying to figure out if the above statement is true or false.

Edit: wasn't butter vilified as being high in saturated fat? well, it still is high and we all still use it a LOT. the FDA and powers that be, also told us that margarine was better to use only to now say that margarine contained trans fats... and now, trans fats are being yanked from the shelves IMMEDIATELY.

i guess i'm just saying that there's money behind all these studies, and you can't believe it just cause 'they' said it was so.

Last edited:
Personally, I like coconut oil. Next to olive oil, it's the oil that gets the most play in my kitchen.

I'm a firm believer that people tend to get too caught up in what's "good" for you and what's "bad" for you. Nobody knows, not even scientists. Something that is being touted as the greatest thing for your body ever was being called something that would kill you 20 years ago (and I'm not just talking about coconut oil).

Eggs were good for you, then they were really bad. Then they were good again. Now they kill you unless you buy them in a cardboard milk carton that contains "99% egg". Veggies used to be good for you--now unless your veggies are covered in manure and cost 3 times as much as their genetically enhanced counterparts they'll supposedly load your body with toxins that will kill you. Is wine good or bad? Well, if you don't like what it is, wait 5 years and scientists will reverse course. It's all one giant sham.

All things in moderation. If you like the way things taste using coconut oil...use coconut oil! The problem people have today is they want to blame their obesity and health problems on this type of fat or that type of cholesterol. They want to place the blame on the food for making them what they are, not themselves for not controlling themselves and their food intake. No personal responsibility. People trying to "optimize" their fats or carbs or whatever the buzzword of the month is so that they're only eating what are (for the moment) the most "healthful" types of carbs or fats are just limiting themselves for what is probably a minimal at best result

Last edited:
Poppinfresh said:
Personally, I like coconut oil. Next to olive oil, it's the oil that gets the most play in my kitchen.

I'm a firm believer that people tend to get too caught up in what's "good" for you and what's "bad" for you. Nobody knows, not even scientists. Something that is being touted as the greatest thing for your body ever was being called something that would kill you 20 years ago (and I'm not just talking about coconut oil).

Eggs were good for you, then they were really bad. Then they were good again. Now they kill you unless you buy them in a cardboard milk carton that contains "99% egg". Veggies used to be good for you--now unless your veggies are covered in manure and cost 3 times as much as their genetically enhanced counterparts they'll supposedly load your body with toxins that will kill you. Is wine good or bad? Well, if you don't like what it is, wait 5 years and scientists will reverse course. It's all one giant sham.

All things in moderation. If you like the way things taste using coconut oil...use coconut oil! The problem people have today is they want to blame their obesity and health problems on this type of fat or that type of cholesterol. They want to place the blame on the food for making them what they are, not themselves for not controlling themselves and their food intake. No personal responsibility. People trying to "optimize" their fats or carbs or whatever the buzzword of the month is so that they're only eating what are (for the moment) the most "healthful" types of carbs or fats are just limiting themselves for what is probably a minimal at best result

i find it funny that the same folks who vilified butter, eggs, and coconut oil GLORIFIED hydrogenated veggie oils for years... along with margarine, etc.

those same folks are now saying, "trans fats are bad for you." and it's THEIR products that are full of trans fats.

to all those who believed their vilification of coconut oil, how do you feel about using products full of Trans Fats... and their words now?

As science advances, we develop more accurate information about the foods we eat. Eggs were considered good for you, and at a certain level, that is true. As science delves deeper, more info comes to light and older info is modified. It will happen again.

We are in a difficult position with the internet available to all. It is so easy to promulgate false information and so hard to tell the good from the bad, we are bound to make incorrect decisions from time to time.

I have decided to only accept information as valid from sources I know and trust. That may mean I'm not on the cutting edge but I'm playing it safe.

In the final analysis, moderation is the best approach.

the same is true for carbs, proteins, and fats...

back in the 80's, it was all about 70% carbs, 20% protein, and 10% fat... and america got obese and diabetic.

now, the gov't has backed down that high percentage of carbs. all the while, we were told to avoid butter & eggs. i went YEARS without butter and only ate egg whites only to consume LOTS of margarine. now, it's... "oops, margarine is full of trans fats-we're sorry."

i guess after we ALL get on meds for hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol, etc., they'll stop listening to the pharmaceutical lobbies etc.

what i'm going to do is keep things in moderation, and i'm going to use as much natural and organic foods as i can afford.

I believe it is supposed to be good for high heat frying. My husband doesn't care for the taste. I use it in soapmaking and as a hair and hand treatment.

csalt said:
Sorry, I havn't got any coconut oil. I think you are spot on when you say these things are promoted or otherwise to suit the marketing tactics.

I did read somewhere that walnut oil is very good for you!:LOL:

Walnut oil is excellent as part of a salad dressing. I also use it to oil parchment for shortbread cookies.

I use canola oil for deep drying, peanut oil for stir frying, and olive oil for sauteeing. Coconut oil, I use for sunbathing. I'll put it ON my body, but not IN it!

black chef said:
anyone here using coconut oil, and if so, how do you use it... how do you like it?

personally the coconut oil i have in my cabinets is used to make soap... i've never used it for food :ROFLMAO:, its pretty important to get lots of big bubbles unless you are using castor oil.

hi black chef ,
I am posting some of the good things about cocconut oil. We are using the cocconut oil for every household needs.
pls note.
do not over heat the cocconut oil
this oil become rancid very fast.ADD few peppercorns or dried ginger to stop this.
Cocconut oil has its own aroma which gives a good flavor to the food
Nutritional / Medicinal
  • Easy digestibility and absorbability
  • Ideal energy source in baby foods
  • Contains Vitamin E
  • Composed mainly of short and medium chain fatty acids which have
    desirable qualities and functions
  • Does not contain cholesterol
  • Reduced fat accumulation in body
  • Easily oxidized and therefore a preferred energy source
  • Requires no transport system to absorb, digest and metabolize
  • Very low content of Omega 6 fatty acid
  • Helps maintain healthy ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acids when
    consumed as a part of diet
  • Rich content of lauric acid, the source of disease fighting fatty acid
    derivative monolaurin
  • Contains 6-8 per cent monounsaturated oleic acid
  • Inhibitory effect against certain chemical carcinogens
  • Superior antigenotoxic activity
[RIGHT[/RIGHT]
Studies undertaken by the Biochemistry Department,
University of Kerala showed that coconut oil:
  • Does not elevate blood total cholesterol
  • Increases blood HDL cholesterol
  • Consumed along with coconut kernel lowers blood cholesterol
  • Does not elevate LDL cholesterol or LDL cholesterol / HDL cholesterol ratio
  • Decreases serum triglycerides
Hope this will help you.
Malabar cost

Link removed - Kitchenelf

Last edited by a moderator:
i use pure virgin coconut oil at home every chance i get
i keep it in the frig and use a spoon to gather what i need
i use coconut milk both at home and at the restaurant

i also use other nut oils: olive, peanut, walnut, almond, avocado and my fave hazelnut oil
trying to find some argan oil

nut oils have all been vilified at some point or another but mostly the coconut seems it's mostly because it's not an oil produced in the states, imho

i have read 3 reports as far back as the 70's
when i started working in a thai restaurant i did some research as to the healthiness of the thai diet where there is alot of coconut milk used

i found in conjunction to the fact they eat several times a day, lots of raw veggies as well as cooked ones, tons of seafood but also a huge amount of red meat topped off with all the coconut milk, they seem to be some of the healthiest people in the world

while i was working in the thai restaurant, eating and working there 14 hours a day and 6 days a week, in conjunction to bodybuilding, i lost 70 pounds in one year

since i am now working in a western restaurant again i have gained 40 of those pounds back over two years

what i have found about coconut milk it is antimicrobial and antiviral and is being used in aids research
coconut oil contains mid chain triglycerides (mct) and induces the body to burn fat at a greater rate and lowers serum triglycerides

Good grief, does it never end. A food that is good for you one day will kill you tomorrow, and is nutritious the day after. Do what my mom taught me. Eat everything. A bit of this, a bit of that. Don't make one food your entire diet. Eat some of everything. I have three bottles of oil in the house (olive, peanut, canola at the moment, when one runs out I may change). I do ask when I throw a dinner party when I might have a new acquaintance to make sure we aren't dealing with peanut allergies.

Back
Top Bottom