Chicken and Quick Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I prepared this fast and easy recipe this evening for the first time. It turned out very well, but there are a few things I modified.

The recipe called for 1 cup of water added with the soup, but once it was cooking, clearly there was not enough liquid, so I added a second cup of water. The recipe also called for adding the dumplings and cooking them with the DO uncovered. I chose to cook them covered because I thi nk it helped them cook more evenly and also added some browness to their color. These "dumplings" are really more like biscuits than dumplings, but they're very tasty in this recipe.

Overall I'd give this recipe an A. It's fast and easy to prepare, it cooks very quickly (under 1 hour), and it offers a lot of possibiliteis for modifications to a persons personal tastes.

Chicken and Quick Dumplings

12 inch dutch oven
Use 16 coals on lid in a ringaround edge
Use 8 coals on bottom in checkerboiard pattern

3 pound fryer chicken cut into 8 pieces or 4 – 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks.
1 TBS. salad oil
1 ½ cup Bisquick mix
2 cups water
½ cup milk
1 medium yellow onion minced
2 carrots minced
1 small can cream of chicken soup
¼ teaspoon sage
¼ teaspoon garlic
¼ teaspoon Italian seasonings
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup Bisquick mix

Using ½ cup Bisquick, coat chicken pieces. Heat oil in dutch and fry chicken until browned.

In a separate bowl mix soup, onion, garlic, carrots and water. Pour over chicken. Cover dutch and simmer about 30 minutes or until chicken is done.

In another bowl, mix 1 ½ cups Bisquick, sage, Italian seasonings and milk together to form a soft dough. Pinch off small pieces of dough and drop into simmering chicken. Simmer covered 7 to 10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked.

Attachments

• Chicken and Quick Dumplings.JPG
    Chicken and Quick Dumplings.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 173
Garry, I usually simmer half the time of the recipe with the lid on and the other half with the lid off when making dumplings. Your's looks great; almost like my fricasee with dumplings. Good job!

That's a good tip! :)

This was the first time I've tried this, and recognizing that the "dumplings" were more biscuits, I wanted a little color on them. I think if they were true dumplings, I would probably have left the lid off, or at least used your method.

Back
Top Bottom