Pumpkin Bullion ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
My DW came home the other day with "Pumpkin Bullion". I believe it's used in Traditional Mexican cooking. The directions on the box said to add a cube to a pot of beans.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what to do with it?

It's a dried product, and doesn't take up much space, so it's not like I'm desperate to clean the area for other storage.

I went to Knorr.com thinking if they made a tomato buillion, they may make the pumpkin...no luck, but some interestiing recipes, and a thought. go to the site of the brand of the bullion, chances are they'll have something about how to use it.

I found out that Knorr does make a Pumpkin Bouillon. It was listed on a site that sells Cuban foods. I'm guessing if you look into some cuban dishes, you'll probably find your target.

Never heard of such a thing. Where is it made? Is it Mexico?

Is it anything like chicken boullion? You add boiling water and you have a cup of soup? In this case, you add boiling water and you get an instant pumpkin pie?

there was nothing on the knorr site, but did find it as well on a cuban site. It's called calabanza bullion, apparently it is a pumpkin native to the carribbean. the picture on the package shows it as a soup...there are recipes for calabanza soup on foodtv, but they don't use bullion. there's one recipe that is a 'day of the dead' tradition apparently, but it's a drink of some sort using the squash itself...maybe the buillion is used to make the drink, like we use coco mix?
Lean something new everyday...

I use calabaza alot in West indian soups, stews. It usually falls apart and mixes with the broth. The bouillion is probably that. Make a chicken soup and add the cube or a few in, watch adding additional salt.

Ok, I should keep closer tabs on this thread (I forget which ones I'm posting to half the time, gotta get used to this format).

The brand name is Knorr, and is labelled as "Calabaza Pumpkin Bouillon".

I guess I'll start looking for some Cuban recipes for it. My boss has one or two Cuban cookbooks at work. Maybe I'll browse through those here soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom