Replacing Mushrooms in a recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelicbabe0907

Assistant Cook
Hi. I've got a recipe that I'd love to try but it has about 1 cup of sliced up mushrooms. I cant stand mushrooms, but am worried that the sauce (which contains the mushrooms) will be too runny without them. So I was wondering what to do. Should I lessen the liquid contents? Or should I try to replace the mushrooms with some other sort of vegetable. And if so, what vegie?

Thanks for your time.

I'm not too crazy about mushrooms either. I looked online and one site says that there isn't really a substitute for them. For one shrimp recipe, however, my idea was to replace the mushrooms with scallions. But it depends on what kind of recipe you're making. Anyone else have any suggestions?

there really is no substitute, if you don't like them leave them out. (You might also try finding a different recipe)

First, Algelicbabe, I'd like to welcome you to DC. There will be plenty of answers to your questions.

As for this question, if you could give us more of an idea what dish you are trying to prepare, it would help us answer a little more accurately.

Like Robo said - there is no substitute for mushrooms. If you don't like them just leave them out. Sliced mushrooms will absorb some of the liquid but they do not actually thicken the sauce. If the sauce seems a little thin when you make it you can either let it simmer on low heat uncovered to "reduce" a bit - or thicken it with a little roux or cornstarch.

Sweet red peppers would be a good substitute. They're mild in flavor, and their texture is similar to mushrooms after they're cooked.
Have you ever tried using canned mushrooms? They don't have the slimy texture that cooked fresh ones can have, and you might like them better.

Last edited:
What Michael said.

Mushrooms don't really "do" anything to the other components in a dish. I myself am deathly allergic to the things, so they obviously don't go in anything I prepare. I don't even try to substitute them.

Back
Top Bottom