AL - Gulf Shores ... Orange Beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolelaine

Senior Cook
We are going to Orange Beach in Alabama. Anyone know any good restaurants there. We really like broiled, grilled sefood better than fried. Anyway, this is a new vacation spot for us and I don't have the slightest clue where to go. Thanks

Congratulations, Carole. According to my brother, Kevin, you are going to a wonderful place. He and his wife go there almost every year. He said, though, if you could, you should go in October - 2nd or 3rd week. That's when they have a big shrimp festival. Plus, he said, the crowds won't be there in October.

As for places to eat, he says it's hard to go wrong in Gulf Shores. He tells me that Orange Beach is more of an "accommodations" area. Gulf Shores is where all the good "eats" are.

Just off the top of his head, he recommended the Original Oyster House, King Neptune's and Bubba's. He said if you wanted to purchase seafood to take back to your condo/etc., Lartigue's is wonderful. It's a big market rather than a restaurant. They will boil shrimp, etc. for you if you want.

Kevin said that, unfortunately, Hurricane Katrina destroyed several of his very, very favorite dining spots. He's a real seafood lover and always looks forward to his vacations there.

Hope this helps. Have a great time, whenever you go.

Thanks Katie-I am taking notes. Yes, I do want to take seafood back to the condo. I'd love to go in October, but my son is in school then. I will check out all of your suggestions!

Try Franco's Italian restaurant in the Bruno's shopping center...my wife and I go there every year. The seafood lasagna is awesome, and they have a nice house wine.

Gulf Shores = the Redneck Riviera.

I hear from my Tennessee friends and relations that it's a great destination ( along with Destin, FL).

Okay, carole. Here's an update from my brother. First of all, since you are going when you are going, he says to be prepared to wait an hour or more for dinner at your chosen restaurant. This does not include "chains."

But, on your way down to Gulf Shores, he says you should be sure to stop at Loxley, AL at their farmers' market. He says it's about the best he's ever seen. Get your fruits and veggies there. Or, at least, the ones you can't resist.

Next stop should be Foley, AL, which has an outstanding outlet mall. All the biggies with prices that are wonderful. While there, treat your children to a fun lunch at Lambert's, where yeast rolls are "throwed" to the diners. It's great food with fun interaction.

He also tells me that Mobile, AL is about 1 hour away from Gulf Shores and, if you have children of an older age, you should go there to tour the USS Alabama, which is a battleship that is docked there.

In Gulf Shores, there are go-carts, bungy jumping and an old-time amusement park. Hope you don't want to sleep.

When you order shrimp, he tells me you should ask for "royal reds," which are incredibly rich shrimp that taste like lobster.

Now, do you have space in your suitcase for me?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Katie E said:
While there, treat your children to a fun lunch at Lambert's, where yeast rolls are "throwed" to the diners. It's great food with fun interaction.

If you want to go to Lamberts, plan on going early if you can, that place is usually packed. The food is so-so. I don't think they take credit cards either (at least they didn't a few years back) so plan on taking some cash.

Thanks everyone. I am printing the posts to take with me and Katie you can come too. It is so interesting that you mentioned a farmers market, I was going to look for one. We had some of the best veggies from one at Myrtle Beach a year or two ago. I know all about the lines, but it's ok because it's vacation!! .

USS Alabama

FYI, there's no admission charge for a bearer of a US military ID card.

I can't remember any restaurants there as I haven't lived in that area since 1988.

Pensacola's part of the Redneck Riviera too.

Ciao,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom