Good Morning Community!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doe1260

Assistant Cook
New to this site! Looking forward to good info!

Question, my dh, while trying to help, dumped a whold bag of uncooked noodles into a crockpot recipe this morning. Does anyone know what will happen? There was fair amount of liquid in the recipe (3 cans of cream soups, milk, some dry sherry)....

Do I need to throw the whole mess out?

Thanks!
Doe:neutral:

First, I'd like to welcome you to DC, doe. You will get plenty of answers no doubt.

My first inclination would be to pick out as many of the noodles as possible with a fork or tongs. Rinse them off and store them in the refrigerator until your crock-pot dish is done, then cook them normally. I know it sounds like a pain in the neck, but I can't think of any other way to get out of this pickle. If they stay in the crock-pot, I have a feeling they'd be mush by serving time.

Just my take. I'm sure there will be more answers. I don't think I'd throw it out, though.

im the opposite off katie (mind u...shes usually right...), i say wait till its done and chow down!!

if its too gross to eat, toss it and order a pizza with extra bacon and sausage!!

Mugsy - TOO FUNNY:LOL:

I believe that's what we will do... after all, you do lasagna that way, right?

where are you in MD? I live in Ellicott City!

Hey there and welcome.... I agree with Katie... leaving those noodles in there that long will turn to mush! Hope you enjoy our community!

hi neighbor!! im out on the chesapeake at sandy point...but my g/f lives in columbia (around 175 & snowden river pkwy).

katie is also a native marylander from the silver spring area, although she wussed out on us and moved to the mid-west.

small world eh!!

Yes, Mugsy.... Small world... we're tranplants from Ohio, but have lived here now since '84.... Used to live at the end of WhiteHall Rd in Annapolis...

so what was the outcome doe??

my $$'s on you should listened to katie!! :ROFLMAO:

where did u get your pizza from?? ledos in da bomb!!! :chef:

Well... It might have been edible, had I went easy on the additional liquid I added to help cook the noodles... Needless to say, I should have listened to Katie....

No pizza.... YET!

Thanks all for the help!

Well - did the recipe originally call for "some amount" of "noodles" and Handy Hubby just added more than the recipe called for?

Some "Crockpot" recipes do call for "noodles" to be added at the beginning of cooking ... and they generally account for a lower moisture content to offset the prolonged cooking time so the noodles don't turn to mush. Ok - they will probably not be al dente - but not total mush.

Ironically ... adding too much extra liquid in an attempt to compensate for Hubby's extra noodles can be worse than not doing anything at all! The extra liquid can turn the noodles to mush!!!

Don't know - don't know the original recipe, how Handy Hubby mucked it up, and how much you tried to compensate.

FWIW - back in the 70's - we used to toss in an extra handful of noodles or rice to bind up the liquids and prolong the cooking without the starchs (pasta or rice) breaking down as quickly.

Last edited:
Thanks... It was a Chicken Casserole that I was doing in the crockpot to keep from heating the oven. Normally, quite good...
Chicken Noodle Casserole (8 Points)

4 servings at 8 pts

1 Can cream of celery soup
1 Can cream of mushroom soup (you could mix/match any creamed soup)
1/3 Cup dry sherry
2/3 Cup skim milk
2 Tablespoons parsley flakes
10 Ounces frozen peas
2 Cans chunk chicken -- drained
10 Ounces egg noodles -- cooked (no yolk)
2 Tablespoons light margarine
1 Dash curry powder -- (optional)

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine soup, sherry, milk, parsley flakes, vegetables, and chicken. Fold in noodles. Pour into greased crock-pot. Dot with butter or margarine. Cover and cook on Low 7 to 9 hours. (Cook noodles just until tender. )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom