Storing Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doe1260

Assistant Cook
Hi All. This has likely been discussed here before, but how do you store your tomatoes? I know that you're not supposed to store them in the fridge, but if not there, then where?!?!?!

(I'm trying to break my DH from always sticking them in the fridge, but need a good, sound defense!)

Thanks!

There is a flavor component in tomatoes that is destroyed in cold temp. I do not recall the exact temp that kills it, but the fridge is certainly cold enough to do it. That is why you should never store them in the fridge.

I store mine in a wire basket that hangs in my kitchen.

doe1260

You are correct in not storing tomatoes in the refrigerator! GB's comments/suggestions are excellent as well. I do not store tomatoes in the refrigerator, but rather on the counter, etc. Unfortunately by the time we purchase them at the local grocery or produce market/stand the harm has possibly already occured. Wholesalers, and retailers, trucking company's etc routinely refrigerate tomatoes as a matter of course. The retailer my display tomatoes off-refrigeration, but hold them in a cooler in the rear of the store. They arrive at many stores on reefers that came from a refrigerated warehouse. Obviously tomaotes grown in Fla. Calif. Mexico etc and shipped to distant places are shipped in refrigerated trucks. So anyway just something to think about....

Enjoy!

The key temperature is 55F. If a tomato chills to below 55F, flavor is lost forever. I store tomatoes in a basket on the kitchen counter. If I cut a tomato and have some leftover, I wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the same basket.

Andy M. said:
If I cut a tomato and have some leftover, I wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the same basket.
If I have any leftover I sprinkle some salt on it and pop it in my mouth ;)

:) Also if you spend a little more on organic or vine grown tomatoes they keep much longer on the counter which is important for us in the winter as I only go to town once every 2 weeks or so.

Excellent. Thanks everyone. Now, need advice on how to break DH's habit! (I found my newly purchased pint of grape tomatoes in the back of the fridge this morning!)

;-)

I spread them out on a paper towel lined tray and set them in a cool spot out of the sun (my dining room table). It really ruins the flavor to put them in the fridge.

You people have leftovers?? Just kidding. When I was first married, I used to put them in the frig, like my momma taught me. Now I know better and leave them on the counter.

You know most people scoot into the grocery store for milk bread and eggs. Well I scoot in for tomatoes,fruit and the such.

On the counter, all the way with tomatoes!! :)

doe1260 said:
Excellent. Thanks everyone. Now, need advice on how to break DH's habit! (I found my newly purchased pint of grape tomatoes in the back of the fridge this morning!)

;-)

palizaconsilla7eo.gif
:mrgreen:

As fall arrives, you can store the green tomatoes still left on the vine, on the counter also. I find a sunny window ripens them nicely.

Best tomato for slicing....Brandywine.....YUM! thick like a burger and delicious

As far as DH goes, why not give him a taste test....one nice and sweet from the counter,:) one cold and clammy from the fridge.:wacko: (?)

cheers!

You can put them in a wooden bowl on counter ,Or a cake pedestal, or a pretty antique bowl. Container your choice...place ON THE COUNTER. Aria

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom