What do you cook when you don't feel like cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
What are some of the easy and quick meals that you make when you don't feel like cooking? I usually get home from work around 7pm. I stop at the supermarket most nights to pickup whatever I need for dinner. Some nights I am just too worn out to think about cooking as I am sure a lot of people are. What do you make on those nights?

For me it is quesadillas. I almost always have tortillas and cheese in the house and there is usually some leftover chicken or ground beef that I can throw in with whatever veggies I have lying around. The take no time to cook and there is not a lot of clean up.

What types of things do you make when you don't feel like making anything?

Fritattas...just about anything can go into them & it uses up some leftovers. I also make spaghetti pie with leftover spaghetti(I layer the noodles, sauce, mozzarella cheese, & pepperoni in a casserole dish)& put it in the freezer & if I don't feel like cooking I just thaw it out & bake it in the oven. I also use my crock pot a lot so I don't burn out too quickly on cooking. Sometimes I just open up some cans(I do like dried better but the canned ones aren't too bad) of black eyed peas & heat them up & serve over rice with some corn bread.

As a matter of fact I had some chicken & rice leftover from supper last night & I took the chicken off the bone & added it to the rice along with a can of cream of mushroom soup & put it in the freezer for another night.

Normally pasta.

I keep tortellini or ravioli etc (cheese or spinach kind) in the freezer. On days when I am plain old tired I open a can of tomato sauce and simmer that with some garlic, olive oil and italian seasonings or parsley. I then parboil the pasta and add that to the sauce.

Serve it with some toasted bread and done.

Another quick and fast meal for me are sandwiches. I always keep deli meat and cheese at home. I normally make a toasted sandwich and serve it with some chips, fruit and juice.

:LOL: I know, but you don't cook that. I would have to say, I like to just cook some pasta and make an easy sauce.......... or I just make some canned soup and throw in some add-ins.. like vegies or meat.

Campbell soup (cream of mushroom or asparagus) and I boil some pasta along with it to avoid having to boil pasta separately. Turns into instant spagetti. :oops:

Another reliable: instant noodles. Very healthy, huh? :roll:

We usually fill our deep freeze once a month with frozen foods and dinners from the Schwans Company and that is what I usually prepare on those days that I don't feel like cooking.

Sometimes I'll get in a big cooking mood and I'll fix up a big bunch of meals and then separate and freeze. Then all I have to do when we want something is thaw and heat in oven or microwave.

Another is soup, salad and sandwiches.

I also have to answer pasta. I always have sausages in the freezer so I'll defrost them in the microwave and broil them. Those are the nights for a jarred sauce. Sometimes I'll just make breakfast for dinner. Sometimes I'll say, "honey, go get a pizza."

What do I make when I don't feel like cooking?

A call to the pizza place! :mrgreen:

John

Here's one of my quickies: (around 20 minutes total)

Broccoli Potato Soup

1 pkg (2 lbs) frozen hash brown cubes
5 green onions, cut up
1 tbsp butter
broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces (amount doesn't really matter)
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans creamed corn
salt & pepper
potato buds (yes, instant potatoes)
grated cheddar

Put frozen potatoes in soup kettle, cover barely with water. Heat on high till boiling, then simmer. Meanwhile, put onions and butter in dish and microwave on high till sauteed. Microwave broccoli with a bit of water till tender.
Once potatoes are soft, add onion/butter mix and broccoli to soup kettle. Add milk & corn. S&P as needed. Use potato buds (small amount at a time) to thicken soup. Top each individual serving with cheddar.

Yep, I've done that one too. Pizza, I've never met anyone that doesn't like pizza. Our favorite is the meat lovers with stuffed crust.

Then I've been know to drive out to Sonic, Burger King, Taco Tico, or Mc Donalds for something quick and the hubby and grandkids always like that.

i do angelhair with a 5-minute really basic marinara or jarred pesto.
or i season up a steak and throw that in the broiler.
or if i have any fish thawed out, i sprinkle on some old bay and some pepper and broil that.
sometimes even peanut butter toast and milk are good enough. filling, balanced and still hot food.

I usually do burgers on the grill - Barefoot Contessa had a pretty good recipie on her show - I usually make those- Yummy- and on my especially lazy nights it's the pizza man for us too!!

When I don't feel like cooking......it's often Pancakes for dinner. It's quick, easy, and my almost 3 yr old will eat them. Other options are Mac and Cheese or grilled cheese. My husband rotates b/t shifts of 6 wks of days and 6 wks of nights. I do very little real cooking during his wks of nights.

Funny you asked this today b/c I'm planning on making pancakes tonight!

Hot dogs..... or I'll shove a pizza in the oven. OR I will throw a frozen vegi mix in a pan and throw chopped garlic in with olive oil and cracked pepper. :D

If I am just a little hungry it is popcorn or chips and salsa. If I am more hungry than a snack it is usually scrambled eggs with chives and fontina or guyere and toast.

When I don't feel like cooking we have grilled cheese sandwiches..
because Paul cooks those...This kid ain't no dummy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom