Whole Wheat Flour question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyan

Assistant Cook
Do I have to sift whole wheat flour or can I use it directly from the bag?

Sifting WW flour can be problematic as you then sift out all the stuff that makes it WW. You can sift it a bit and put the chaff (bran) back in and then measure, but you can just use it right out of the bag.

My first experience with WW flour . . . my then new husband dumping my entire canister of white flour out! :ohmy: The first time I tried cooking with WW flour, my oatmeal cookies came out like grenades! I've since found a nice combination of WW & white flour at Kroger. I forget the brand, but it's with all the other flours. Cooks just like regular flour. I DO sift when the recipe calls for it, but like Alix said, you also sift out the chaff (the whole reason for getting WW). I just dump it back in. :rolleyes:

If you're looking to get into the WW thing with other products (i.e., pasta), Healthy Harvest makes a blended WW pasta. Good stuff & it doesn't taste like cardboard! :-p

Good luck with your WW recipes! :chef:

I have changed practically all white foodstuff from my diet....ww pasta; brn rice;bread....but now I want to make muffins with ww flour....i guess iI have to combine it with reg. flour?

I'm no expert, but it's been my experience to mix WW & white. I don't think you'd be sacrificing too much. You'll still get your whole grain benefits. I don't know how the settlers did it, but I think our generations have been spoiled with the nice soft breads & whatnot. Just experiment with the ratios & see what's to your liking. :chef:

cyan said:
I have changed practically all white foodstuff from my diet....ww pasta; brn rice;bread....but now I want to make muffins with ww flour....i guess iI have to combine it with reg. flour?

No, you do not have to add white flour.

Yes, I sift my whole wheat (soft/cake/pastry) flour for muffins. If any flour parts stay in the sifter, just up end them back in with the flour.

Any other questions?:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom