Dinner - Saturday, June 30?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regallion

Cook
Quite excited by tonights dinner after being inspired by a cookery show I saw earlier in the week.

Slow roast whole duck (2.5 hours). With the fat that drips out going to saute some potatoes.

Will serve the breast of the duck and pots with with a gooseberry and onion.. err.. salsa? compotte? Not sure what to call that. Sauce.

Then for Sunday lunch we will have the left over duck with pancakes, spring onion, cucumber and plum sauce in a Chinese styleeeee.

Mhhhhh...I'll make a casserole with noodles...tuna...mushrooms..and a tomatosauce &cheese on top!!!Hope it'll taste good

regallion, i hope your kitchen has good ventillation. i love duck, and i'd kill for duck fat cooked potatoes, but the smell in the house lingered for days the last time i made it. it's now verboten in my house.
man, my stomach just grumbled reading about your dinner, and it's only 8am here. hope it comes out well.

i'm stuck working a double today, so dinner will be something in the city. maybe thai. if the guys are going, possibly texas bbq. or maybe even greek. i have a long time to decide. :neutral:
hopefully, dw will bring our boy in to visit this afternoon, and we'll all go out for dinner; probably to her favourite irish pub, or a nearby italian joint.

since i'm working with a pretty good new guy, i decided to revive an old saturday tradition in my office for lunch. whenever a couple of friends, the old guard now that has scattered to different departments and other broadcasters, worked together on a saturday, we'd bring in an electric wok or deep fryer and make buffalo wings. i made some grilled hot italian sausage in basil/garlic/tomato sauce last night, so we'll have that on portugese rolls with the wings.

we are having georgous weather for the neighborhood cookout tonight. It is clear, cool, low humidity, just lovely, will need a jacket tonight. Food will be heart stopping country grease and white flour and sugar. I am taking potato salad. Expect to work up a good appetite by cleaning out the barn today:)

It's my Aunts 80th Birthday so we're going out to dinner to celebrate (I think that it's a surprise party). don't know which restaurant we're going to but hopefully it will be good!:chef:

ya know, survivorgirl, the surprise is supposed to be on the birthday girl, not the guests.

strange birds, these canadians...

adding: yay, dw and my boy are stuck in traffic.

umm, well, yay when they get here. we're gonna take a walk to the hudson to see some ships, then go for lunch.

so dinner will be the salsicce en sugo, later on. tradition/buffalo wings will have to wait (how often do you get to put that in a sentence, huh?).

Last edited:
Regallion, I love duck. One of my fave french restaurants serves it with cherry sauce, roasted taters and a green veggie. Going to be another hot day today, and still early to decide if I want to cook. Maybe I can get a reserv at that french restaurant. I so want duck now. ;)

Thanks for the tip about the duck fat and ventilation! I don't have an extractor so perhaps I'll roast the potatoes in the oven instead.

The duck has been cooking for about an hour now and I've already collected over a pint of fat!!

Anyone know how long the fat keeps?

Should keep a couple months in the fridge - or freeze it. I have heard of people popping their popcorn in it for a different treat.

We're having fried chicken and a pasta salad with veggies, apple pie and ice cream for dessert. It's hot here also and a bit muggy.

I'm going to make a salad and have DH cook up some fish on the grill. Probably some Lipton Pasta side to go with it. We need to use it up. I don't know what kind of fish yet. I'm running to the market to pick up enough for DH and myself. I already have all the ingredients to make a nice salad.

ended up having left over rice from chinese last night with lobster sauce. The haddock was good, but I forgot to spray pam on the tin foil that I wrapped it in - woops. So a lot of it got stuck. The combination of the rice, the fish and the salad was absolutely great. I didn't even have to use my stove "lol".

buckytom said:
regallion, i hope your kitchen has good ventillation. i love duck, and i'd kill for duck fat cooked potatoes, but the smell in the house lingered for days the last time i made it. it's now verboten in my house.quote]
```````````````````````````````
I love it too Buckmeister. My grandfather used to make it often, and pheasant and goose and rabbit, you just never knew what was coming out of his Norwegian kitchen.
Today I took myself with a friend to lunch where I enjoyed Poutine. It's not on my live-it/diet but who cared, gad zookes, it was fabbo.
Tonight I hit the Hard Rock Cafe and had [by suggestion from my waitress Nicole] Honey Citrus Salad and a bottle of Perrier. Simply terrific........​

norwegians rule, lefselover!! (ok, not really since 1066. but we still can cook like berserkers!)

mojo corillio (SP) marinated pork chops ...
grilled .. with jasmine rice and some hoppin john ..

Back
Top Bottom