Meatloaf gravy question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Has onyone ever made gravy out of the drippings from a meatloaf ? I never have and might try. Not sure if there would be enough flavor for it though.

Last edited:
I never have and hesitate because of the amount of grease/fat that remains after cooking even though I use 90/10% ground beef to fat mixture. With as many members, I'll wager someone has done it and you'll get an answer to your question.

Miss Barb...

I never have made a gravy out of ground beef drippings, and I am not a big fan of meatloaf. On occasions when I do eat meat loaf I like a gravy of Cream of Mushroom + Buttermilk + Louisiana Hot Sauce + favorite spices/herbs etc. If you try a gravy form the drippings I would serve it on the side just in case ya didn't like it.

Enjoy!

I only make meatloaf from ground turkey &/or chicken, but regardless, have never been a big fan of regular gravy with it. Depending on the meatloaf "type" (Spanish, Italian, etc.), I usually top with tomato sauce, salsa, barbecue sauce, etc., etc. Although I'm sure a good brand of jarred gravy would be just as nice, especially with mashed potatoes to take up the rest - yum!!

But as far as the drippings? As others have said, I think the fat vs. flavor ratio wouldn't make it worth the effort.

It would depend on the quantity of fat in it. The ground beef we get is from a butcher and is all the trimmings from his butchering - so often is quite lean. So this may make a good gravy.

I love meatloaf. I make mine with the mixed meatloaf mix and fresh herbs, bacon on top, a bit of soy sauce to glaze it etc. If I use a loaf pan, the drippings are too fatty, but if I use a wider baking dish a go a bit more free form, I get some usable drippings from which a pan gravy can indead be made, especially if I degalze with beef broth or stock. I chop root veggies to scatter on the bottom of the baker so my meat doesn't burn. racks cause things to dry out but root veggies have moisture and flavor and do a great job. (a trick from culinary school!)

I never use the drippings, too much fat! I make a very simple sauce that tastes great: 1/2 C ketchup, 4 tbls brown sugar, 4 tbls cider vinegar. Combine in small saucepan and simmer a few minutes over low heat til thickened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom