Frying Frustration!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
I used to be able to make a fried egg like a pro...never stuck to the pan and always flipped with ease. Now...YEAH RIGHT!! I couldn't flip an egg to save my life! Usually the egg either sticks to the griddle or I can't flip it over completely...it always ends up folding. For the sticking problem I tried using butter one time and oil another...no such luck. I tried using two spatulas to grab both sides to flip it so it didn't fold over...yeah...try doing that!:wacko: When I searched the site I found one great idea called "Eggs in a Basket" which entaled(sp) cutting a whole in a slice of bread, buttering one side, putting in in the pan, putting the egg in the whole and flipping the whole thing when ready. Not bad and sounds good but what if I want just a fried egg and no bread? Any words of wisdom from the wise chefs/cooks here?

Getting new pans helped me. They looked OK and were good for everything else, so I assumed they were good for eggs, but they weren't and slowly I was running into the same problem as you and thought it was me. New pans and the eggs slide around with ease.
Mmmmm, eggs in a basket.

Mrs Cuillo... maybe it is just something I called being CHOP STICK CHALLENGED. I can use chop sticks anytime, but once in a while when I go out to eat and use them, I just can't get them to work for me, so I label myself as CHOP STICK CHALLENGED for the day!!! I can't pick up a piece of food to save my life or I drop my sushi in my soy/wasabi mixture, LOL... I seriously doubt that is what your are having, but it sure made me think about it!!! I think Barb and Uncle B has some good suggestions.

I don't care much for non-stick pans for most things, but for frying eggs, they are the bomb. Buy a small non-stick skillet, use it ONLY for eggs, and you will have no trouble. When the non-stick stops working after a year or three, buy another one.

I do use butter or oil in the pan, for flavor and extra insurance that the egg won't stick.

It's possible the pan isn't big enough to flip it. I had that problem before.

Mrs. Cuillo said:
When I searched the site I found one great idea called "Eggs in a Basket" which entaled(sp) cutting a whole in a slice of bread, buttering one side, putting in in the pan, putting the egg in the whole and flipping the whole thing when ready. Not bad and sounds good but what if I want just a fried egg and no bread?

Use an egg ring, perhaps.

If you're having trouble with the egg sticking in a non-stick pan, then you should think about replacing it.

sattie said:
Mrs Cuillo... maybe it is just something I called being CHOP STICK CHALLENGED. I can use chop sticks anytime, but once in a while when I go out to eat and use them, I just can't get them to work for me, so I label myself as CHOP STICK CHALLENGED for the day!!! I can't pick up a piece of food to save my life or I drop my sushi in my soy/wasabi mixture, LOL... I seriously doubt that is what your are having, but it sure made me think about it!!! I think Barb and Uncle B has some good suggestions.

:LOL: :ROFLMAO: Maybe that's it!! Maybe I just have bad egg flipping days!!:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

sparrowgrass said:
I don't care much for non-stick pans for most things, but for frying eggs, they are the bomb. Buy a small non-stick skillet, use it ONLY for eggs, and you will have no trouble. When the non-stick stops working after a year or three, buy another one.

I do use butter or oil in the pan, for flavor and extra insurance that the egg won't stick.

What size do you recommend? Enough for one egg?

bowlingshirt said:
Use an egg ring, perhaps.​

Thanks! I didn't know there was such a thing! That might help with flipping because the sides won't be so spread out.​

Mrs. Cuillo said:
What temperature do you both use?
I start it at around 4 and then turn it back to about 3-2/12 (that's the numbers on the stove I don't know if it's degreesC or whatever). That's just basically what I would suggest for temp.

Andy M. said:
Cut both ends out of a tuna can and use that for a ring.

So I take it when your ready to flip, you take the tuna can off the egg right? I'm trying to think about flipping an egg with a tuna can surrounding it and I don't think it's possible to flip it with the tuna can there.

legend_018 said:
So I take it when your ready to flip, you take the tuna can off the egg right? I'm trying to think about flipping an egg with a tuna can surrounding it and I don't think it's possible to flip it with the tuna can there.

Legend, that's only if you want plain fried egg.

If you flip it with the tuna can, that's called egg-in-a-can. Personally, i would prefer the egg-in-a-basket mentioned earlier :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom