Red Bull?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harborwitch

Sous Chef
:ohmy::ohmy: I am sitting here at my computer and can look out my front window while I type. Whaaaaaa! Just saw 2 kids walking down the street - one of them couldn't be over 7 or 8 years old - slamming a can of Red Bull:w00t2::bounce::dizzy: Why does a kid that age need an energy drink??? Sheesh, must be getting old. Do parents really let their kids have that stuff???

Chances are better than excellent that said parents don't have a flying clue as to what their kids are ingesting. Said, but all too totally true these days, especially if said kids are the product of a 2-income household where both parents are uber-executives.

I am not sure how true that really is Breezy. Especially with a 7 year old. It is not like they have jobs and can drive to a store to buy this stuff on their own. In most cases it is actually the parents who are buying it for their kids just as they buy them soda loaded with caffeine and sugar.

Isn't that sad? I'm lucky that my daughter's health teacher talked to the kids about the energy drinks and the bad effects it can have - she took every word he said to heart and stays clear!

Good on the teacher!:):) I don't even drink those things! If you're driving yourself so hard that you need those there's a problem somewhere. IMHO:angel:

Harborwitch said:
Why does a kid that age need an energy drink???

i don't understand why anyone needs that stuff. it makes me wonder how people got energy before red bull or rockstar (etc etc)? i wonder if it would be good to cook with though, like instead of making a sauce with white wine, use red bull instead?

This isn't about redbull but equally sad.
The other day me and a friend were hanging out at a park that we live close to, and these two girls walk up, and one pulls out a ciggarette and starts smoking.
she couldn't have been more then 12.

eh, probably has not much at all to do with the parents, and more to do with how marketing makes things "cool". i remember being a little kid and getting my weekly allowance and pedaling on down the the corner store to buy a bottle of "new york seltzer", because that was what was cool then. totally loved it, haven't seen the stuff in years. mom & dad didn't really have a say-so in what i spent my $2 on for that week, that's the magic of having your own allowance.

but come on, have you seen the commercials for red bull? they're **cartoons** where some guy drinks the swill and then is pretty much superman. sure, as adults, we take that whole "wiiiings!!!" thing as metaphor, but the kids?

baking fool, have you tasted red bull? it's beyond foul. no way on earth i'd even attempt to come up with a recipe that uses the stuff.

and, hey, Survivor, it's sad but true, little kiddos have been smoking for as long as there have been cigarettes. remember "stand by me" 20 years ago? the kids in there were puffing away in the treehouse...and it was a period movie set about *50* years ago.

fireweaver said:
baking fool, have you tasted red bull? it's beyond foul. no way on earth i'd even attempt to come up with a recipe that uses the stuff.

i just thought it might be worth a try that's all.... ;)

baking fool said:
i just thought it might be worth a try that's all.... ;)
If you like the taste of the stuff then go for it. For me, it would be akin to cooking with cough syrup.

GB said:
For me, it would be akin to cooking with cough syrup.
Don't tell me I'm the only one? :LOL:

As far as kids getting the stuff, yes many parents buy it, but as a teacher who has seen many kids with way more money in their pockets than I have in my wallet, I know a lot of kids are buying it themselves. Many of my former students went home either to empty houses or to parents who didn't care what they did, and they spent a lot of money on candy and junk. As far as the attraction of Red Bull to kids, the commercials make it look like a type of alcoholic drink (it took me a while to realize it wasn't) so the kids probably feel like they are getting away with something.

:huh: Barbara

I think you could pour a big bottle of corn syrup into a pot of coffee and get the same effect - only it might taste better.

My youngest daughter is a professional bartender - she says there are lots of drinks that they make with "energy drinks" now - good a wide awake, bouncing drunk!:wacko::LOL:

jennyema said:
Personally, I like Red Bull.

Slamming down a Red Bull is just for fun for kids and young at heart people drink it too. The Golden Girls on TV used to have a buzz joke drinking Mountain Dew.

All too soon, the kids will be back in school and writing about their summer vacation, jokes they shared at the water park and wacky sandals they wore.

Red Bull and Halo takes place of trans-fat and horror movies.

All you really inherit as an adult are taxes and an update on your death benefits.

Barbara L said:
As far as the attraction of Red Bull to kids, the commercials make it look like a type of alcoholic drink (it took me a while to realize it wasn't) so the kids probably feel like they are getting away with something.
I completly thought that it was an alcoholic drink, until yesterday when i noticed this thread and went to website where they have the ingredients listed.

SurvivorGirl said:
I completly thought that it was an alcoholic drink, until yesterday when i noticed this thread and went to website where they have the ingredients listed.

It can be. Red Bull and Vodka is popular but if you REALLY want to get messed up, try downing some Jagerbombs. That's a shot of Jagermeister dropped in a rocks glass of Red Bull then downed like a shot. The combination of the depressants in alcohol and the stimulants in Red Bull can get you messed up really fast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom