NY - New York City area - ISO tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolebriggs

Assistant Cook
My husband and I are visiting New York 7/21 - 7/28. We will be staying in mid-town.

Other than the TKTS booth and broadwayoffers.com, does anyone know how to get discount tickets for Broadway shows?

Can anyone suggest a good place to eat on Staten Island? We will be taking the Staten Island Ferry and going to the botanical gardens. Something close is good as we will be on foot.

I live here, too.

Nicole, there's a HUGE thread on the subject of what to do in New York. I'd recommend you do a search for it. I'm sure all the info won't be able to be replicated here.

At this date, TKTS is pretty much your avenue for discount theater tickets. But be warned that with the extremely high regular prices of those tickets, the discounts may still seem awfully high.

You will be here during the Summer Restaurant Week. Here is the link to a list of all the restaurants participating.... all at lunch, and many also at dinner. The special lunch is $24.07 at lunch and $35 at dinner. You'll want to make reservations right away.

Staten Island is not known for great eats. You might prefer to take the ferry back to Manhattan for your meal. But I don't know what Botanic Garden you are talking about on Staten Island. The New York Botanical Garden is in the Bronx, and there is also a Brooklyn Botanic Garden (which. by the way, is spectacular!).

Last edited:
thanks for the info on restaurant week, chefjune. :chef:

other than what chefjune said, you sometimes can get discounts through your company's hr department, or if you have an american express gold card, you can get advance/discount tickets for a lot of shows.

btw, here's the link for the staten island botanical garden www.sibg.org

nicole, do you know how staten island got it's name?

when henry huson first sailed up thru new york harbor early on a foggy morning, he saw the native american's giant garbage dump and remarked "is that an island?" :)

(you must tell this joke on the ferry, just to see the reactions of the locals)

buckytom said:
nicole, do you know how staten island got it's name?

when henry huson first sailed up thru new york harbor early on a foggy morning, he saw the native american's giant garbage dump and remarked "is that an island?" :)

OMG....you're really showing your age.:glare:

I wouldn't tell that to the locals if I were you. -lol

I don't know anything about where to eat on Staten Island, but if you can, while you're in Manhattan, go to WD50.

:) Another thought is to go to a deli get hard salami,cheeses,olives some fruit, stuff the doesnt hafto be kept cold and a buy to drink there has to be a place at the garden where you can just sit and have lunch.

:) i just looked at the Cafe Botanica,s menu at the gardens the lunch menu looks great.Check it out.They also make box lunches that look good.

Last edited:
Thanks ChefJune. My husband and I looked at the link you provided for restaurant week and are heading to Destino tonight.

For those of you planning a visit to NYC I now have some really great recommendations. Katz's Deli at 205 Houston St. is amazing. My husband had the pastrami on rye. It melts in your mouth!

Then there's Cargnegie Deli at 854 7th Avenue. They are famous for their cheesecake and I can see why. It is baked three times and is creamy with the right kind of density. We had it with cherries on top. The serving is so large you have to split it.

Ess-a-bagel has great, fresh bagels. I had a poppy with plain cream cheese and my husband had a plain bagel with olive tofu cream cheese. There's nothing like a fresh, New York bagel. The bagels in California are made like bread with a hole. The regular coffee was ok. Ess-a-bagel is on 3rd & 51st.

So-so: Yaffa Cafe. They are located in St. Mark's Place. I had the stirfry ginger shrimp over brown rice and veggies. The shrimp was a bit overcooked, but fresh tasting. My husband had steamed tofu and veggies over rice. The coffee and tea were barely drinkable. Cute atmosphere, but small seats/tables.

More to come!

Back
Top Bottom