The TRUTH about ONIONS that you may (NEVER) know!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EzyThaiCooking

Washing Up
ONIONS
HOW TO CHOOSE ? : Good quality onions are heavy with dry and smooth skin.

DO YOU KNOW? Onions are not only good to add food flavor but also for its therapeutic properties. Onion have an antibacterial and antifungal properties. Onions also reduce High Blood Pressure, Sinus conditions - helps to drain mucus from the cavities and loosen phlegm, Diabetes mellitus - lowers blood sugar, and Lowers cholesterol.

Last edited:
Yup. I already knew that. But I know that there are a great number of people out there who don't. And so I thank you for pointing out these wonderful traits of the onion. Leaks, garlic, chives, and other members of the lily family (of which onions are a part) exhibit the same advantages as well. Best of all, they taste great!:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

There's also a little more to it than that. "Long Keeping" onions will have a thicker, drier, more "papery" skin than non-storage onions like Vidalias.

"Sweet" onions like Vidalias aren't meant for long-term storage & thus don't develop the same thick papery skin as storage onions have. So use &/or refrigerate your sweet onions early on; keep the sharper storage types out of the fridge in a cool dry place. I usually leave them in their net bag in a wire basket in a dark corner of my kitchen counter.

Does an onion count as a "fruit" and/or "vegetable" in a dish? As a single guy, I often make just one dish instead of an elaborate spread. Then I ask myself, "shouldn't I be having a fruit/vegetable?" Then I think to myself, "well, there is that onion (and/or garlic)" Does it count as a "vegetable" serving?

Onions are a vegetable.

Garlic is often called an herb, and is member of the lily family which makes it a cousin to leeks, onions, chives, and shallots. So, while it is typically called an herb, garlic is technically a vegetable.

But just cooking with onion and garlic doesn't exactly count as a serving of vegetables. ;)

bethzaring said:
a serving size of a vegetable is 1/2 cup, so I guess a half cup of onions, or garlic, would be one serving.

A half cup of garlic! :w00t:

I remember back when I was learning how to cook, I found a recipe for a garlic & gravy steak. The recipe called for 4 cloves of garlic. Back then, I didn’t know the difference between a clove and a head (yeah, I was really young). I made the dish with 4 HEADS of garlic. Wow! I was the only person that had more than one bite of it.

Here is something you probably didn't know about onions. Onions give me agita, big time agita, so we have a mutual non-aggression pact. I don't eat them, and they don't hurt me!

Caine said:
Here is something you probably didn't know about onions. Onions give me agita, big time agita, so we have a mutual non-aggression pact. I don't eat them, and they don't hurt me!

LOL! This post tickled my funny bone for some reason.....and I had to look agita up! Thanks for teaching me a new word. Since I learned something, I guess I’m done for the day?!?! :)

Caine said:

I had to look it up, too. Good word.

I knew a guy who also suffered when he ate onions. He learnt to say "without onions please" in about a dozen languages before he went on his honeymoon.

BTW, I had to look up two online dictionaries before I found 'agita'. Now I'm going to make it my mission to drop it into a conversation this evening. Thanks.

lol

love onions
always have but used to not like them raw
now after working in a thai restaurant i cannot get enough of them
esp raw
red onions, shallots, green onions and maui's are my fave raw

shallots, leeks, spanish, for cooked

Rachel Green said:
The fact is that garlic has more medicinal properties than onion. Who cares!! Both taste great and add a special zing to the dish.:rolleyes:

Hi, Rachel. Welcome to DC.

I agree. "Who cares."

I eat food for its medicinal properties as often as I take pills to satisfy my hunger.

The fact is that garlic has more medicinal properties than onion. Who cares!! Both taste great and add a special zing to the dish. :rolleyes:

Andy’s psychic! He replied to Rachel before Rachel’s comment posted! :w00t:

At least that’s what is showing on my screen : Andy posted 4:39 PM, Rachel posted at 5:01 PM. Anyone else see this......how about some Lottery numbers Andy?!?!?! :LOL:

Sweetie, if I could cough up lottery numbers, I'd be in sunny Italy, eating and drinking myself into a stupor daily and in between, racing about the countryside in my Ferrari.

Cough, cough, cough...

Nope, nothing.

okay, that is just way funny. I'm sure there is some logical explanation for it, but since i watched the illusionist last night it's all looks creappy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom