Help with piano value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I have been trying to figure out the value of my used piano, with no luck so far, so I am hoping some of you may be able to help. I've googled, called the maker of the piano, etc. It seems the important info is the serial number, and I can only find certain numbers, and am told these are insignificant, or possibly part numbers. I've researched country pianos, and the manufacturer of the piano as well and still no luck. Obviously I dont want to sell it on ebay due to the cost of shipping lol. The brand of piano is Mason & Hamlin. Any ideas on how to figure out the value of this piano?

I had a quick look around some of the larger metropolitan areas on craigslist... Found mostly grands and baby grands. I haven't heard of the brand before, but it is, apparently, a fairly pricey piano.

As Buck mentioned, you could sell it as "pick up only" on eBay. If you wish to deal more locally, you might check to see if there's a Craig's List group in your area. Or, if you get to the point where you simply wish to give it away, see if there is a Freecycle group in your area.

Here's a link to information on Mason & Hamlin pianos, which lists sizes, etc. Maybe this will help you evaluate your piano better.

mudbug, I went to ebay to compare however I mostly found grand and baby grand pianos, rather than the upright version, which is what I have. I did see one upright in very good condition, and I think that was around $5,000.

Buck, thats a good suggestion to check with a local music store, and or list it on ebay for pick up only, thanks. I tried the online search of the manufacturer but I think starting locally might be a good idea.

Uncle Bob, my piano is an upright. The piano was originally sitting in an old mansion across the street from me and just sitting around not being used. The new owners/friends gave me the piano. I have no idea of the age of the piano. Some of the wood has chipped off the side, some of the keys are chipped of the ivory if indeed it is even ivory, but the keys (wood) are in tact. No idea when the piano was last tuned.

The Z, your right, apparently this is a fairly expensive piano.

Thanks for the link Katie, I did check that one earlier today, and it lists serial numbers, which is why I think the ones found on the back were actual serial numbers, but one person seemed to think it was simply a part number, so I dont know. Thanks for the tip about craigslist, that could be helpful.

I hate to say, but old pianos are like old boats. Usualy they are free (except grands and baby grands) or you would pay to have it removed. They are beautiful instuments. I have my Mother's spinet and would like to acquire an old player.

If you enjoy having it, then keep it. Otherwise, being the condition it's in, donate it to a school or give it away.

-J

Back
Top Bottom