Seasoned Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I was at Penzey's store a couple of weeks ago to pick up some stuff. Along with my shopping list, I picled up a jar of the 4/S Seasoned Salt.

We really like it. I've used it mixed into burgers, on steaks and chicken and on a pork loin I roasted on the grill tonight. It's a very tasty seasoning for us.

Sounds good, Andy. I think I'll have to check this out at their website since there's no store near us. We like seasoned salt on lots of foods and it's a major ingredient in one of our beer butt chicken rubs. I love it on cottage cheese, too. Thanks for the info.

I haven't tried the Penzey's, but I was given a few different ones from a small Quebec company called Crousset. ( accueil) They are all made from sea salt, no additives, no preservatives. The flavours are great, and it's fun experimenting. Some I have are:

Sea salt with sun dried mushrooms and essence of truffles
Sea salt with herbs
Sea salt with lemon zest and lime
Sea salt with herbs
Their Gomassio with black sesame seeds is wonderful!

The website is nice (note, it is in French), as they give ideas for using the salts, and some recipes.

On my last Penzys order I bought some of that salt too Andy. It was an impulse buy and I am very glad I got it. It is quite tasty!

I've been going to the store and the danger there is that I see something that looks interesting and add it to the basket! Ka-ching!

My local butcher (Sam) is from the city and is used to buying from ethnic specialty stores. Sam is trying to bring some of the best of what he uses at home to our local shop. One of the things he has just started carrying is "Seasonella Caber," an Italian sea salt mixed with rosemary, garlic, sage, and pepper. Doesn't sound complex, but I am amazed at how the flavours are so much more than the sum of the parts. I tend to use fresh herbs, but I love the blend and balance that this "herbal salt" has.

I fried some fish tonight in panko crumbs. I flavored the egg and flour with this 4/S and it tasted pretty good.

Given my recent, positive experience with seasoned salt, I think I should try this 4/s! I'm on the Penzey's site now.

Seasoned salt is great when frying chicken! Add a healthy amount to your flour mixture and it makes a huge difference.

I use various seasoned salts for a variety of uses

giving a kick to any sauce,
grilling meats (chicken, burgers, ribs)
Rubs
eggs
sandwhiches
of course, BBQ Fries (coupled with paprika, pepper and a bit of sugar if neccessary)

I have used Galena St. rub from Penzey's and like it.
Recently I made this salt from Michael Chiarello, but used kosher salt instead of the gray. It is delicious sprinkled on veggies, salads, and summer tomatoes.
NapaStyle | Citrus Salt

tommymat said:
Seasoned salt is great when frying chicken! Add a healthy amount to your flour mixture and it makes a huge difference.

Wouldn't "add a healthy amount of salt" be an oxymoron?

Back
Top Bottom