What would one suggest as a side for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rom

Sous Chef
Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni?

I am making half of it this morning and will make the rest when I get home at 7 tonight, hopefully my bf will get home early so we won't eat too late.

Any suggestions at all (any ingredients i can get before going to work, so it doesn't matter what I have hanging around :)), quick and fast that you would add as a side if you were to eat it and didn't have much time. (If I can't try it now, I will try it next time :))

Thanks for viewing :)

Constance said:
I would like a salad and garlic bread with a meal like that. Sure sounds good!
I agree maybe a balsamic vinaigrette and ripe tomatoes to go with the salad.Your dinner sounds delicious.

Thanks for the ideas! It would be better if I made it the way my mum made it, she makes it with really large pancakes, nice and thin and OMGGGGGG YUMMM!!! but i don't have time for that so i had to buy the empty pasta cannelloni and fill them instead.

Definately salad..u know what haven't had garlic bread for a while (I think we ate too much of it at one stage LOL)

OMG I'm not an Assistant Cook anymore woohoo, just noticed when I went to post to you Katie E.

You know what, beans would be good...for me.... LOL my bf has this thing about green beans, he doesn't really like many vegetables cooked at all, am trying to think of ways I can cook them that he would like.

Should try and get him to eat....broccoli LOL

OK, no one shoot me for this ok? I like whole canned green beans, rinsed, doused with your favorite Italian dressing, keep in fridge for the day to marinate. It makes a great side dish served cold and you can set them on a couple leaves of lettuce and the marinade can act as a dressing for the lettuce - well, not "act" per se because it IS a dressing. :chef:

Steamed whole fresh green beans until still very cruncy - when done and dried from taking out of the ice bath - drizzle a good quality olive oil and shake quite a bit of dill weed and a bit of kosher salt and white pepper. This also makes a nice addition to a crudité platter.

Last edited:
Rom said:
OMG I'm not an Assistant Cook anymore woohoo, just noticed when I went to post to you Katie E.

You know what, beans would be good...for me.... LOL my bf has this thing about green beans, he doesn't really like many vegetables cooked at all, am trying to think of ways I can cook them that he would like.

Should try and get him to eat....broccoli LOL

My DH would never eat asparagus until we had a tapas dinner with friends who ordered it, pan-fried with olive oil and topped with sesame seeds. He loved it, and he also likes them roasted (at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes) with olive oil, salt and pepper, then sprinkled with lemon juice when they come out of the oven.

Soup (how about ministrone), salad, bread (foccacia) & a (green) veggie.

If you have enough spinach left over, spinach salad -or saute the spinach with evoo and garlic. Serve with toasted pine nuts over the top.

Any green veggie of choice roasted w evoo and garlic or some lemon juice -- zukes, squash, brussels sprouts, eggplant.

Another zuke idea -if you have a mandolin, slice the zukes very thinly (almost spaghetti-like) and sprinkle w lemon juice, s&p -- or you can briefly saute the zuke spaghetti strands in evoo and garlic & add some lemon juiice. Lemon pepper is another suggestion.

Try a search in the veggie catagory here. And... dessert - your call. :)

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
OK, no one shoot me for this ok? I like whole canned green beans, rinsed, doused with your favorite Italian dressing, keep in fridge for the day to marinate. It makes a great side dish served cold and you can set them on a couple leaves of lettuce and the marinade can act as a dressing for the lettuce - well, not "act" per se because it IS a dressing. :chef:
:) I love canned green beans I rarely can find fresh I love them right out of the can juice and all.

I ate it before I saw the rest of your replies :) thanks for the replies!!!
I had it with garlic bread and salad :)
My bf said that after my lasagne and my meatballs, my cannelloni come 3rd best :) (he never had them before)

having lamb meatballs with spaghetti tonight :)

GotGarlic said:
My DH would never eat asparagus until we had a tapas dinner with friends who ordered it, pan-fried with olive oil and topped with sesame seeds. He loved it, and he also likes them roasted (at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes) with olive oil, salt and pepper, then sprinkled with lemon juice when they come out of the oven.

That's so funny! My husband and boys didn't care for many green vegetables either until a friend served them asparagus bundles, seasoned and wrapped in one strip of bacon, then broiled until the bacon was crispy. They loved them and ask for them regularly now. Then my friend said that it's a little known fact, but men will eat anything wrapped in bacon and she has systematically proved it to me - bacon wrapped water chestnuts, bacon wrapped green beans, bacon wrapped meat, etc. (Now before I hear from all the bacon-shunning men on this forum, I concede that my particular men do not have very elevated palates having lived with my poor cooking for so many years, so I'm sure this "fact" doesn't apply to any of the fine DC gentlemen.)

Terry

Fisher's Mom said:
That's so funny! My husband and boys didn't care for many green vegetables either until a friend served them asparagus bundles, seasoned and wrapped in one strip of bacon, then broiled until the bacon was crispy. They loved them and ask for them regularly now. Then my friend said that it's a little known fact, but men will eat anything wrapped in bacon and she has systematically proved it to me - bacon wrapped water chestnuts, bacon wrapped green beans, bacon wrapped meat, etc. (Now before I hear from all the bacon-shunning men on this forum, I concede that my particular men do not have very elevated palates having lived with my poor cooking for so many years, so I'm sure this "fact" doesn't apply to any of the fine DC gentlemen.)

Terry

:LOL: - You really know how to schmooz our DC men! Now, see if those little darlings will eat bacon wrapped chicken livers with a water chestnut stuck on there too but don't forget to call it Rumaki:chef:

As I was reading your post I had my fingers ready to tell you to try wrapped green beans - but you've already done it!

well well...i am here again
this morning i asked my bf, so what do u want for dinner tonight (we keep a couple days of the week vege and today is one of them)
and he goes..well im having what we had last tuesday with a smile on his face LOL and i realised he meant the canneloni i made hehehe, so this time i might have the garlic bread and ALSO try some green beans on him which he doens't like hehehe but make them differently, maybe he will change his mind if its actually cooked with flavour. I think he tried it once just plain and refused to eat it since. I tried to get him to eat broccoli last nite, (which he dislikes as well, trying to see if i can get him to eat more veges LOL), so i cooked it, then lightly friend it with evoo, finely sliced garlic and salt. He didn't like it but at least he tried :) i ate it...better for me hehehe

so just wondering, does anyone have any other quick green bean dressing apart from what has been mentioned (i might try the oil and salt) but just wondering if anyone had any other ideas? to masks the flavour of the beans hahaha jokes

Actually i am going to look in the sauces section :) might be something in there.

Rom said:
so just wondering, does anyone have any other quick green bean dressing apart from what has been mentioned (i might try the oil and salt) but just wondering if anyone had any other ideas? to masks the flavour of the beans hahaha jokes

I think I saw this on "30 Minute Meals" and doctored it a bit. Cook a minced clove of garlic in about a tablespoon of evoo for a couple of minutes. Add a can of chopped tomatoes and about a teaspoon of dried oregano or Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5-10 minutes to thicken a bit. Occasionally break up the tomatoes with a spoon. Add the green beans and simmer till heated through. It's one of our favorites now.

:) sounds like something my mum would make (without oregano) :):) mmmmm nice

thanks, i actually forgot about that hehe

I know it is too late for that dinner, and I don't know what is available in Australia. But I'd buy a bag of mixed greens and simply toss with olive oil, vinegar, and garlic. Instead of a second side, if it is available, trim an artichoke and make a simple dip of mayo, honey, and a touch of mustard. Eat it while the main dish is baking.

Back
Top Bottom