Rotisserie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JuliaCGA

Assistant Cook
Hi
I am new to this forum and i guess some would say new at cooking lol. I bought a new rotissery this week and I want to roast a chicken. The cookbook says to tie the legs before cooking. What can i tie the legs with. I know I know, its a stupid question but I don't know sniff sniff.
Thanks
Julia:wacko:

Go to any kitchen store or a restaurant supply and ask for butcher's twine. Or you actually could just ask the butcher, or the person behind the meat counter, when you buy the chicken. They're usually happy to give you a few turns around their hand, free fur nuthin.

Thanks Caine
But I am ready to cook the chicken now and I don't have time or transportation to a grocery store:( Would sewing tread do the same thing.
Julia

No - sewing thread won't do. It will burn up into nothing long before the chicken is done. Not to mention polyester threads & dye & other unsavory things.

I hate to sound snarky, but you should have read the instruction book before dedicating yourself to roasting this chicken tonight. You probably would have found that nearly everything cooked on a rotisserie needs to be tied with cooking twine.

Those legs (& wings) DO have to be tied on a rotisserie, otherwise, besides likely hitting the heating elements & sparking a fire/burn, as the legs/wings begin to cook they can eventually just fall off the chicken before they're done due to the turning action of the rotisserie.

This should be one of those cooking "life lessons" learned: "Read the recipe & procedure through before committing to making it".

(Oh, & cooking/kitchen twine is readily available from many sites online. Just do a search for it.)

Last edited:
JuliaCGA said:
Thanks Caine
But I am ready to cook the chicken now and I don't have time or transportation to a grocery store:( Would sewing tread do the same thing.
Julia

Okay, you're gonna think I'm nuts, but everyone who's been here awhile already does, so it won't bother me. Unwaxed, unflavored dental floss is great for trussing up poultry.

If you don't have dental floss in the house, you should be ashamed of yourself, and your dentist should be ashamed of him/herself too! I am not allowed to leave my dentist's office without being weighed down with floss, toothpaste, toothbrush, and mouthwash.

Last edited:
Did i mention i was new at cooking lol. O.k dental floss it is.
Thanks
Julia:wacko:

I’ve actually used thread in my rotisserie before. Plain white thread, and I wrapped it several times end of the legs to keep them together......probably 15 or so times around. It didn’t burn at all, and as with my regular twine, I had to cut it off.

The real problem is going to be the wings. They can be a pain even if you do have twine! You don’t want to use thread on the wings. However, you could use toothpicks to pin the wings in place. I still use twine on the wings, but I also use small metal pin skewers (they came with a Turkey “dress kit” that I bought long ago) as well to make sure they stay tucked.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom