Question about ginger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
If a recipe calls for 3 slices of fresh ginger root, but I only have ground ginger, how much should I use?

I always heard that 1 Tablespoon of fresh is about equal
to 1 teaspoon of ground.
Or 1 inch of ginger root is about 1 1/4 teaspoons.

I'd probably use 1/2 teaspoon or so instead of 3 slices,
depending on the other ingredients.

if you are truly stuck you can add a tsp (level) but really you should go to the store and by a ginger root. It is easy to peal, keeps in the fridge a good while and is great in marinades, stir fries etc. etc.

Robo410 said:
if you are truly stuck you can add a tsp (level) but really you should go to the store and by a ginger root. It is easy to peal, keeps in the fridge a good while and is great in marinades, stir fries etc. etc.

Excellent point. I keep my fresh ginger in a glass jar of sherry in the fridge and it keeps forever, or until I need to buy more :) You can also use the ginger-flavored sherry in various recipes.

I agree with the ground ginger comment unless you have a really fresh source. Normally ground ginger looses most of its potency in fairly short order. I also agree that if you have quality fresh ground ginger that a teaspoon may be a close equivalent.

To keep fresh ginger on hand what I do is, buy some fresh ginger. Scrap the skin off of it. Cut it into thick slices and place it in a jar and fill it with sherry. Put a lid on it and place it in the fridge. I like the flavor and the essential oils that make ginger what it is are kept in tact. Or at least more so than using ground ginger you have had for a while. I have also soaked it in Port but I think I like Port more in a short glass more than in my ginger.

Take care,
Bryan

You can also buy chopped ginger in a jar. I've used it several times, and thought it was pretty good. I've also substituted the powdered stuff, and been satisfied with that too.
We recently ate at an Asian restaurant, and there was fresh chopped ginger in my chicken dish. I agree that the flavor is much more intense, but I'm not sure that I like it all that well.

I buy fresh, peel it and break it up into smaller pieces then freeze it. I can use a microplane to grats some while it's frozen or defrost a small piece.

Just get the fresh one like everyone else said. Also, like GotGarlic said, the flavor is not even remotely close. Don't get the pre-bottled variety either. Like pre-bottled garlic, the flavor is different and you will not get the same results as with fresh ginger.

You can also store whole unpeeled fresh ginger in a plastic bag in the freezer & just peel & grate as you need it without thawing.

Saw in Cook's Illustrated in quick tips saving fresh ginger as cutting root in 1 inch pieces and freezing in a zip lock bag. Thaw peel and chop or grate as required. Keeps one month or longer.

Say Bknox the sherry did well for the ginger but did you taste what the ginger did to the sherry? Might be interesting to do an infusion of sherry rather than save the ginger.

oneoffour said:
Say Bknox the sherry did well for the ginger but did you taste what the ginger did to the sherry? Might be interesting to do an infusion of sherry rather than save the ginger.
Why not do both? I do - I've had the same jar in the fridge for more years than I remember, I just add more ginger and sherry as needed ;)

The thing about the sherry is that the alcohol helps preserve the ginger, so it lasts as long as you keep adding to it.

I keep mine in the freezer and grate it with a microplane, like Andy.

The sherry idea sounds good to me, however. If I ever get to a real liquor store, maybe I will buy some. (No sherry lurking with the Bud, wine coolers and Jack at the gas station--I looked.)

Hmmm seems I didn't ask the question just right. I make my own herbal vinegars. I'll do wine reductions. I could go to the liquor store and get ginger brandy. I wanted to know does the stored ginger impart a ginger flavor to the sherry or does its taste remain the same? Do you ues the dry sherry or the sweet sherry?

Yes, the ginger will flavor the sherry. I'd use dry sherry as it is a sub for rice wine in Asian dishes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom