Strange Freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m1i2k9e

Assistant Cook
I'm not sure if this even belongs in this forum so feel free to move it if necessary, but I have had a problem with my freezer in that it is too cold. There are no setting to adjust and it came with my NYC apartment so it can't be replaced. It has actually frozen three bottles of Vodka which for me is unheard of. I'm just concerned that this may be too cold for the food I am storing if this is even possible. If not sorry for the ignorance.

What brand of freezer is it? I’ve not seen one before with no controls. Typically, the controls are in the fridge section. Sometimes they are on the back of the unit. And I’ve seen them in the freezer compartment before.

A freezer should be at 5 degrees, but most models shoot for 0 degrees. 80 proof Vodka will freeze at -16 degrees. If it is less than 80 proof, it will freeze at a warmer temp. So, your freezer is not that much off the desired mark of 0 degrees. Does the fridge part work well? Is the unit always running? Have you got an outdoor thermometer (preferably digital) that you can stick in the Fridge and Freezer for some readings? The fridge should be around 35 to 40 degrees.

Last edited:
:) Try pulling fridge away from wall and looking at coils etc if they are covered in lint etc carefully vacumn clean the back the fan and underneath be sure to unplug when you do this if you do this.People dont do this enough to keep fridge running properly.That might be the problem.

That might have been the problem with the old Gibson fridge that I had. now that you've mentioned it! Veggies & fruits would start to freeze up, along with milk and other liquids.

But stuff was breaking down on it anyway, and it would have cost a fortune to have the broken things fixed!

I've since replaced it with a new unit. But yes, 80-proof vodka WILL start to freeze if the freezer's internal temp goes below zero. It becomes slushy.

Unless you are worried about the vodka and not food -- and you are not paying for electricity -- I don't think there's a huge problem.

You are just using more energy than needed.

I keep the deep (chest) freezer set at number 4.

That seems to be the ideal setting. The condenser coils are wrapped around the inside of the cabinet, so there are no coils to have to clean.

The cabinet sometimes feel warm when the compressor is on, an indication that the unit is operating properly.

All freezers have controls. If it's not on the inside, check the back or maybe even the sides. The idea with removing the lint happened to me. My father and I moved it out then vaccummed the lint out and everything wasn't frozen as much. If it came with your apartment, why not ask the landlord how to adjust it or neighbours.

Actually I am paying electricity and my bills have been alarmingly high so that may be a culprit. As far as my concern, it is for the food not the vodka. I feel it puts it in too much of a deep freeze. Not to mention it is a royal pain to actually thaw out. I'll try pulling it out and cleaning the back of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom