Southern turnip greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TURNIP GREENS

8 oz. smoked joe bacon or salt pork with rind or ham hocks
2 lb. turnip greens
10 c. water
1 tsp. salt [if you use salt pork, you may not need additional salt]
1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Chop smoked joe bacon or salt pork, cutting to, but not through, rind. If you use ham hocks, let them remain whole. Discard stems of greens and any damaged portions. Tear up large leaves (should have about 12 cups). In large kettle bring water to boil; add salt pork, greens, red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon salt; simmer covered for 2 hours -- adding more water if needed. Season broth to taste.

in my family, (my Southern aunt's recipe) you must add white vinegar and hot sauce.

choclatechef said:
TURNIP GREENS
In large kettle bring water to boil; add salt pork, greens, red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon salt; simmer covered for 2 hours -- adding more water if needed. Season broth to taste.

hi choclatechef - you know best and I'm not looking to start another civil war :) but - 2 hours cooking time :!: :?: Are the greens supposed to be really soft?

Yes, they are supposed to be really soft.

It is one of the big differences between soul food and southern cooking. Most black people like their greens cooked really tender, while I understand that white people like theirs cooked briefly.

No insult taken at all. It was an honest question. I respect honest questions and will answer them the best I can! :D

How I love turnip greens and TURNIPS!!! And the longer cooked, the better!

The only thing I would add would be a few tabasco peppers that had been soaking in vinegar for a few months! YOWEE YUM!!!

choclatechef, you and I need to get together...or move closer...or something! ;)

I would love to live near you Audeo! You, mudbug, crewsk, and the whole bunch of you!

You are very welcome mudbug!

I am hoping in another year or so, I will be able to start traveling and visiting people. When I can, I will definitely let you folks know! I have warm feelings for you.

When I come Audeo, I will bring my rolling huge chef's knife cart full of my favorite knives and tools, so I will be able to "throw down" with you! I am sure you can put your big toe in some food!

PAARRRRRTTTTYYYYYY!!!! (Of course, this must be prior to cocktails...)

choclatechef, let me assure you that I CAN put my big toe into good food...and my ankles...up to my waist....and in over my head! Man o man will we have fun eating all that stuff no one else here would touch (if they knew what it was...)!

I really think we ought to start a thread called "Cookin' Yankees Ain't Et Yet!" or something like that...to keep us busy until you get here with your knives and stuff....

I would love a thread like that Audeo, except I have a nasty feeling folks would start making fun of it! I hate that!

I don't make fun of dishes that I am unfamiliar with, I wish they wouldn't.

Why share those wonderful secrets anyway!!! Good point!

But, darnit, I could just see the title.....

The SOOOOOOOUUUUUUULLLLLLL Train!

Drat, drat and double-drat!

This is hands down the best recipe - one of Emerils.

Southern Cooked Greens
1/2 lb Bacon
3 c Julienned onions
Salt and pepper
pn Cayenne
2 tb Minced shallots
1 tb Minced garlic
1 (12-ounce) bottle of dixie beer
1/4 c Rice wine vinegar
1 tb Molasses
6 lb Greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, and spinach, cleaned and stemmed

1.In a large pot, render the bacon until crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the onions are wilted. 2.Season the mixture with salt, pepper and pinch of cayenne. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
3.Stir in the beer, vinegar, and molasses. Stir in the greens, a third at a time, pressing the greens down as they start to wilt. Cook the greens, uncovered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Mound the greens in the center of the platter. Spoon the sauce over the top.

Audeo - TAKE that picture AWAY!!!!!! LOL

Chocolatechef - I like my greens cooked VERY tender too - crunchy doesn't doesn't get it unless you're just tasting them because you can't wait any longer!!!! LOL

The vinegar is a condiment served with them, not cooked with them.

If you don't keep bacon grease on the counter (guilty) you'll need to render the salt pork. the most important thing about greens is to wash them, wash them, wash them. and then cook the hell out of them. done.

kitchenelf said:
Audeo - TAKE that picture AWAY!!!!!! LOL

Chocolatechef - I like my greens cooked VERY tender too - crunchy doesn't doesn't get it unless you're just tasting them because you can't wait any longer!!!! LOL

The vinegar is a condiment served with them, not cooked with them.

I had never heard of vinegar being cooked in the greens, but I was willing to admit the possibility.

Kansas Girl. I have never heard of all those things being cooked in turnip greens, but.....ok.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom