Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   BBQ & Smokin' Meats (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/)
-   -   Hi all, new here, can someone post pictures of their shoulders/butts BEFORE cooked (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/hi-all-new-here-can-someone-post-pictures-of-their-shoulders-butts-before-cooked-37315.html)

Chief Longwind Of The North 04-16-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom (Post 588697)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Wait, does that mean you don't want to hear how cute we think you are???

No, no. Nothing bad can come from telling me I'm cute. Why, I'm so cute you just can't help but tell me so. They oughta have a national holiday celebrating my cuteness. There should be parades, and lot's of cheerleaders, and marching bans, and big hot-air balloons flying in the sky, all made in my likeness. And someone should bring me steaks, and seafood, and strawberry malts, and...:rolleyes:

Naw, no need to tell me I'm cute. My wife does that for me. I cook her gourmet meals and do all kinds of other things for her. Besides, it's much more fun being silly than it is being cute.

Now if you need to give Karma, well, BT always could use more karma. He still has to get over that Charlie Brown syndrome.:lol:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Fisher's Mom 04-16-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North (Post 588712)
No, no. Nothing bad can come from telling me I'm cute.

Naw, no need to tell me I'm cute. My wife does that for me. I cook her gourmet meals and do all kinds of other things for her. Besides, it's much more fun being silly than it is being cute.
Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh Thank Heavens, Goodweed. I wouldn't want the same fate that awaits Maverick to befall you!!!

You know, if I could get in on some of those gourmet meals, I'd do more than call you cute. There would be cold, hard cash involved!!!

Maverick2272 04-16-2008 09:08 PM

I was laughing so hard DW thinks I have completely gone nuts now!

Fisher's Mom 04-16-2008 09:16 PM

Awww, just go in there and give her your "cute" look, Buddy - she'll melt into a puddle!

Maverick2272 04-16-2008 09:18 PM

I could always give her my famous 'puppy dog' look, she loves that, LOL.

suziquzie 04-16-2008 09:22 PM

I can't believe I skipped all this to go to Dairy Queen!!!!!

Fisher's Mom 04-16-2008 09:45 PM

You snooze, you lose Suzie!

AllenOK 04-17-2008 10:16 AM

Speaking of hot air, I'm beginning to think there's a lot of it being generated by this thread.....

Maverick, I hate to tell you this, but, man........you're just ..........

























BALD!

You call that a hairy shoulder! Blasphemy!

I, on the other hand, am a freaking hairy ape. Literally. My "fur" is starting to go grey, so I've been calling myself a "silverback gorilla" the past few years.

Uh oh. Looks like I'm generating some hot air myself.


Back to topic:

"Pork Steaks" actually are pork butt, sliced on a bandsaw while frozen into 1/2" thick steaks. My other half, PeppA, and her mother live on those, because yes, they are incredibly cheap. They're also really fatty. That's great for slow cooking (like using a pork butt to smoke), but grilling or pan-frying, like my MIL does, well, let's just say I usually eat at work that night.

The past couple of times I've smoked pork, it's been the picnic shoulder, which I remove the skin from. I've found they're even cheaper / pound than pork butt is.

Fisher's Mom 04-17-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenOK (Post 588962)
Speaking of hot air, I'm beginning to think there's a lot of it being generated by this thread.....

Maverick, I hate to tell you this, but, man........you're just ..........

























BALD!

You call that a hairy shoulder! Blasphemy!

I, on the other hand, am a freaking hairy ape. Literally. My "fur" is starting to go grey, so I've been calling myself a "silverback gorilla" the past few years.

Uh oh. Looks like I'm generating some hot air myself.


Back to topic:

"Pork Steaks" actually are pork butt, sliced on a bandsaw while frozen into 1/2" thick steaks. My other half, PeppA, and her mother live on those, because yes, they are incredibly cheap. They're also really fatty. That's great for slow cooking (like using a pork butt to smoke), but grilling or pan-frying, like my MIL does, well, let's just say I usually eat at work that night.

The past couple of times I've smoked pork, it's been the picnic shoulder, which I remove the skin from. I've found they're even cheaper / pound than pork butt is.

Yep, I never liked "pork steaks" because for years, I pan-fried them with poor results. (I didn't know any better.) But a slow oven can make a cheap cut of meat pretty yummy. I've never tried smoking pork (or any meat for that matter) but maybe I should try.

As far as your other claims, my hirsute friend, all I can say is put your money where your mouth is! It's easy to brag about being a silverback when there is no evidence to the contrary!

B'sgirl 04-17-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbasiszta (Post 587861)
Some people even eat the hooves (pigs feet). Now that I haven't tried. haha

Like you, said 'you can almost eat everything from a pig. I love pork rinds. I could buy them freshly cooked in Australia. Man, pork rinds the size of a dinner plate. Mmmmm:rolleyes:

My exchange student particularly likes the nose.

Loprraine 04-17-2008 10:52 AM

" They definitely do not sell anything called just "boston butt" around here, "

I've never seen them either. I buy the shoulders.

Maverick2272 04-17-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenOK (Post 588962)
Speaking of hot air, I'm beginning to think there's a lot of it being generated by this thread.....

Maverick, I hate to tell you this, but, man........you're just ..........


BALD!

You call that a hairy shoulder! Blasphemy!

I, on the other hand, am a freaking hairy ape. Literally. My "fur" is starting to go grey, so I've been calling myself a "silverback gorilla" the past few years.

Uh oh. Looks like I'm generating some hot air myself.


Back to topic:

"Pork Steaks" actually are pork butt, sliced on a bandsaw while frozen into 1/2" thick steaks. My other half, PeppA, and her mother live on those, because yes, they are incredibly cheap. They're also really fatty. That's great for slow cooking (like using a pork butt to smoke), but grilling or pan-frying, like my MIL does, well, let's just say I usually eat at work that night.

The past couple of times I've smoked pork, it's been the picnic shoulder, which I remove the skin from. I've found they're even cheaper / pound than pork butt is.

:lol::rofl:

I am definitely no gorilla! I have very fine hair all over my body, most of it blonde except my chest, front, and legs.
DW says I have just the right amount of fur.. not sure if that is a compliment or not!:ermm:

AllenOK 04-18-2008 10:05 AM

Count it as a blessing. My wife will "hold me hostage", literally, by grabbing a handful of "fur", and squeezing her finger into a fist to pull on them.

Editted to add: Fisher's Mom, I might just post a pic of my hairy shoulder, but, it might get this thread locked. We've already hijacked the OP's topic as it is.

Andy M. 04-18-2008 10:15 AM

While this body hair duscussion has been fascinating:wacko::wacko:,

I recommend you get back on topic. If you must continue this, take it to PM.

Maverick2272 04-18-2008 06:10 PM

Poor Andy, LOL.

Back on topic: saw a pork shoulder at the store, thought of this thread, and decided to pick it up. Just a small one, about 5lbs. Put it in the crockpot this morning along with carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, garlic, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, Louisiana red pepper sauce, 6 cups water, and salt and pepper to taste this morning.
Came home, took the pork shoulder out and it fell right off the bone. Chopped it up and added it back in. Took out some of the liquid, thickened it with some corn starch and added it back in.
Turned out great and extremely tender! Not to mention there is enough for supper tonight as well as lunch tomorrow.

Maverick2272 04-18-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 589520)
While this body hair duscussion has been fascinating:wacko::wacko:,

I recommend you get back on topic. If you must continue this, take it to PM.

Or take it to chat!:smile:

mbasiszta 04-18-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick2272 (Post 589780)
Poor Andy, LOL.

Back on topic: saw a pork shoulder at the store, thought of this thread, and decided to pick it up. Just a small one, about 5lbs. Put it in the crockpot this morning along with carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, garlic, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, Louisiana red pepper sauce, 6 cups water, and salt and pepper to taste this morning.
Came home, took the pork shoulder out and it fell right off the bone. Chopped it up and added it back in. Took out some of the liquid, thickened it with some corn starch and added it back in.
Turned out great and extremely tender! Not to mention there is enough for supper tonight as well as lunch tomorrow.

And here I still am waiting for us to get back to smoking or barbecuing
these pork shoulders. ro lol A crock pot. Maverick, you is bad. rofl

AllenOK 04-21-2008 11:04 AM

For folks that are not blessed with a smoker, or the desire to tend a fire for HOURS to produce a bit of heavenly smoked pork, a crockpot is the next best solution.

JillBurgh 04-21-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenOK (Post 591076)
For folks that are not blessed with a smoker, or the desire to tend a fire for HOURS to produce a bit of heavenly smoked pork, a crockpot is the next best solution.

Pressure cookers are nice, too. The first thing I made in mine was a 5 lb pork roast. Took 24 minutes to cook and pulled apart with a fork. Gave it a nice dry-rub the night before and browned it right in the cooker. Not as fantastic as slow cooking it over smoke, but the extended family is already making requests for a repeat-pressure-cooker performance!

kitchenelf 04-21-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loprraine (Post 588988)
" They definitely do not sell anything called just "boston butt" around here, "

I've never seen them either. I buy the shoulders.

The Boston Butt is the rear of the shoulder - so it comes from the shoulder. Where you live they might just label any part of the shoulder as "shoulder". They are sometimes called picnic hams too - it's all the same location though - the shoulder.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.