NEED QUICK ANSWER! How to roast whole garlic bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
I need to roast a whole garlic bulb...but not sure how. I want to be able to mash the garlic cloves onto slices of baguette. Thanks!

I need to roast a whole garlic bulb...but not sure how. I want to be able to mash the garlic cloves onto slices of baguette. Thanks!
Hi Chave,
I just slice part of the top off the bulb, just enough to expose the cloves inside..Place it on a double layer of foil, then pour on a little olive oil and seal the foil to keep the oil in, put it on a small pie tin and bake at 350 about an hour, just check it as I do to see if the sloves are getting soft...it usually takes about an hour..I sometimes so a few at a time and then strain the oil I've poured over the garlic into some vinegar and use it on salad or brush it on bread with some parmesan or even mix it just plain with cooked veggies..It's great to brush on veggies to grill.
kadesma

Hmm...what if I have less than an hour...? Could I cook at a higher temp for like half an hour?

I saw on t.v. once that they took each clove out and did it that way. Not sure though since I have never tried it.

I do it all the time, but I have an electric garlic roaster that takes only 20 minutes to roast up to 3 whole heads of garlic.

You could try a higher temp for a shorter period of time. Sounds as though you are up against a time constraint, so go for it. The worst that can happen is it won't work and you'll have to spread something else on your bread.

There is another way of doing it. You put olive oil (good amount) in a pan and place that on the stove. Place the garlic cloves in the oil and let them caramalize and get soft. Don't set the stove on high so they burn but leave it on medium low and in 15-20 minutes they should start to get golden. Once it's golden you can crank up the heat for the last 5 minutes (hang around the stove) and the garlic will pick up a bit more color. Remove them with a slotted spoon into a bowl, mash and use.

I peel the garlic, pull apart the cloves, spray down my panini grill (like a George Foreman), put the grill top down, and they are done quite nicely in about 15-20 minutes. Just spray a little Pam on the top and bottom of the grill.

With the papery skin still on, slice about 1/2 inch from the top, exposing the tops of the cloves. Drizzle olive oil over this, then wrap in foil. Bake 350 for an hour. When it's cool, you can literally squeeze the garlic onto the bread, no need for slicing.

Hi Chave,
I just slice part of the top off the bulb, just enough to expose the cloves inside..Place it on a double layer of foil, then pour on a little olive oil and seal the foil to keep the oil in, put it on a small pie tin and bake at 350 about an hour, just check it as I do to see if the sloves are getting soft...it usually takes about an hour..I sometimes so a few at a time and then strain the oil I've poured over the garlic into some vinegar and use it on salad or brush it on bread with some parmesan or even mix it just plain with cooked veggies..It's great to brush on veggies to grill.
kadesma
Ha! We do ours the same way. I just bought a bulb of garlic from a guy who specializes in pickles and olives. Once a week, he smokes about 20 bulbs of garlic and sells them for a buck apiece. We discussed the possible uses for so long that he gave me a bulb, even though I would have gladly paid for it. I was considering roasting it "our" way, and then tossing the squeezed cloves with potatoes....
The fragrance from this smoked garlic is amazing.

Ha! We do ours the same way. I just bought a bulb of garlic from a guy who specializes in pickles and olives. Once a week, he smokes about 20 bulbs of garlic and sells them for a buck apiece. We discussed the possible uses for so long that he gave me a bulb, even though I would have gladly paid for it. I was considering roasting it "our" way, and then tossing the squeezed cloves with potatoes....
The fragrance from this smoked garlic is amazing.

Smoked garlic?? That sounds simply amazing...I've never heard of anything like it. Just imagining mashed potatoes with mashed smoked garlic is enough to make me hungry...

Back
Top Bottom