Wow, this knife feels good!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
Ok so i have never learned to use a knife the proper way becasue i dont own a proper knife. im used to 2$ knives from wal mart and what not. So the other day i decided i was going to buy me some knives. first came out the pampered chef catalog. thumbed threw it for a few knives and decided that they were to expensive for me. Went to the local spoons and spice kitchen store and they showed me some henckel and zwilling knives. Roughly the same price as the pampered chef. so being discouraged and frustrated, wondering how am i ever going to afford a good chefs knife. i went into the kitchen and opened up all our draws to see what we have. low and behold i see a chefs knife buried under all the rubble of kitchen utinsels. pull it out and its a mundial. started to look more and more and i found a total of 10 high quality knives. 3 mundials and 7 twin master henckles and zwilling knives. i was pretty stoked. all dull and damaged of course but i found a place that will professionally sharpen them for 3$ a knife.

so theres my story, heres my question. what is a chefs knife used for and what is a santoku used for and what is "rocking" a knife. bare in mind i have never used "real" kitchen knives before. all i know is that the knives feel comfortable in me hand. oh and how do i trnsport the knives. i need to take them in to get sharpend but i do not have a block or any type of covers. should i wrap them in paper towels and place them in a bag

Wrap your knives in paper towels or newspaper for transport. below is a link to a quick primer on knife use. You should be abke to find videos on google for more instruction.

Knife Skills

sweet thanx man. im pretty excited to get all my knives sharpened. i have two 8 inch chefs knifes, two 4 inch steak knives, two 10 inch bread knives, two 6 inch bone knives and two other knives that i do not know what they are.

Well you are off to a good start. You know that how a knife feels in your hand is one of the most important things.

A chefs knife can be used for just about anything. 99% of things you would need a knife for, a chefs would work. A santoku can be used much the same way, but a Santoku is more of a slicing knife (great for slicing veggies).

Rocking means when you hold the tip of the knife down on the board and "rock" the blade up and down. the curve of a chefs knife makes this easy. A Santoku does not have as much of a curve so that makes it a little more difficult, but it can still be done.

To transport them, I would take a towel and roll them up in that. There are many other safe ways too, but that is the first that comes to my mind.

hmm. sweet. im taking them in today to get sharpened and since i do not own a block im buying sleeves for them. maybe i can make my own custom sleeves or something to keep them sharp but in the drawer.

i went into the kitchen and opened up all our draws to see what we have. low and behold i see a chefs knife buried under all the rubble of kitchen utinsels. pull it out and its a mundial. started to look more and more and i found a total of 10 high quality knives. 3 mundials and 7 twin master henckles and zwilling knives.

Did the knives just suddenly appear?:ohmy:

LOL. i never look in those drawers. they were in the tool draw. the last draw i would ever look in for knives. i keep my own tools in my room. any way three of them that i knew of were in one draw but the other 7 were in the tool draw. and yes they did suddenly appear. we have a bunch of crap in our 5 drawers. my mom is a pack rat. i asked my mom why they were in there and she said becasue they are crappy knives. i said" mundials and JA henckels are not crappy." she said well they went dull in the first 2 months. i said "did you keep in the block or the drawer with the tools and other kitchen stuff." she said the drawer. so now i know why they went dull. any way im excited becasue now i have a whole new set of my own knives becasue i told mom that they are mine now. LOL. she just told me that we even have a cutco out in the garage draw or some other draw becasue it went dull also.

EDIT

all the Draws = drawers

yeah i was looking for something like that. those are cool. man i cant wait to try them out. as in i cant wait to try out my sharp knives

These are a great way to store and transport your knives if you don't want to use a block or magnetic strip.
GB, I have a knife block and then I have several magnetic strips hanging around the kitchen. Is it OK for your knives to be stored hanging on the strip? I like to keep a couple of small ones and some kitchen scissors handy on magnetic strips all over the kitchen but wondered if it is bad for them.

GB, I have a knife block and then I have several magnetic strips hanging around the kitchen. Is it OK for your knives to be stored hanging on the strip? I like to keep a couple of small ones and some kitchen scissors handy on magnetic strips all over the kitchen but wondered if it is bad for them.

I store my knives on a magnetic strip. I've been using it for years. The wood block took up too much space on the counter.

I store my knives on a magnetic strip. I've been using it for years. The wood block took up too much space on the counter.
Actually, I'd rather keep them all out on the strips for the same reason as you but I wasn't sure it was okay. Now I will. Thanks, Andy.

I put those strips everywhere in the kitchen and have all sorts of stuff hanging from them. I mused out loud that it might be nice to put some strips on the woodwork over the doors (old house with very tall doors and ceilings) but one son pointed out he'd feel uncomfortable walking through a doorway that had knives hanging over his head!;)

The magnetic strips could be argued to be better for your knives than the blocks even. The blocks can be a great place for bacteria to grow if you are not careful.

After reading this I think I might check out my drawers and see if I have any magic knives appear. That is one thing I am lacking, a good knife. Actually I have a few I bought from my daughter's friend who was selling them. Not thrilled.

lol, yeah. i was surprised to find them. they are now in the shop gettin sharpened. 3$ a knife. thats not to bad. better than i thought it would be.

no no no. like as in, they will be running and if they jump there head could hit the knife. even if they are out of the way up on a wall an open blade makes me nervous. BUT i think i know where i could put them. so i have never seen these strips. is there a magnet on the knife itself or is it a strip that you put on a wall and the knife sticks to it

Back
Top Bottom