Just what ARE "Chinese Greens"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
So the local "chinese" buffet has "Stir Fry Chinese Greens".

I think these are local collards or mustard greens, but wife
thinks they are something else...

What would qualify as "chinese greens"???

They just do them in a simple garlic sauce I think,
and boy are they tasty!

Chinese greens can be bok choy, Chinese broccoli (similar to rapini), baby spinach, Chinese mustard cabbage/greens.... the list goes on.

GrillingFool, as KitchenElf said, there are many "Chinese" greens, just like there are many "U.S." greens. And then there are "U.S." greens that are prepared Chinese style.

Unfortunately it would be difficult to say what it was you enjoyed without seeing it in its pre-cooked state.

Yes, forgot to mention as Breezy did that they could be just our regular greens prepared with Chinese herbs/spices/flavorings. I'm making Thai ribs but I'm pretty sure the pig was raised albeit a short time in the US :angel:

That's what I thought. Greens get "Chinese" when you cook them.
Wasn't bok choy, wasn't napa cabbage. Pretty sure it was just a local
green.
Thanks! Now I can experiment, hahahahahahahah! <--evil kitchen scientist laugh

If you go to any asian market with a produce section, you will find all kinds of greens that you don't generally find in a regular supermarket.

You could have been lucky enough to have eaten some of those.

Bok choy is pretty obvious. You wouldn't confuse that with mustard greens.

Chinese greens? Just more of a general term referring to Chinese veggies like buck choi, choi sum, green mustard veggies, snowpeas... really, whatever. I'm really hesistant about ordering Chinese dishes that just say 'Chinese greens'.

Back
Top Bottom