Today's dinner - Thursday, September, 06, 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im up feeding my baby.

using left over chicken that was roasted on sunday to make a quick version of chicken pot pie.

cream of chix soup
milk
canned veggies
cooked chix
pie shell

thats pretty much it

Good Old Pumpkin Soup with a Twist

butternut pumpkin
2 cloves garlic sliced
1 medium sized onion chopped
salt
pepper
1 birds eye chilli sliced
handful fresh coriander chopped
lime juice

cook the pumpkin, onion, garlic, slat and pepper. drain water when pumpkin a little mushy, add in chilli, coriander and lime juice. If too thick i find a little coconut cream does the trick.

:chef:

boy, how is it you all beat me up this morning, it's early even here?:LOL:
it'll be restaurant 99 in Boston for me today for dinneau, remembering they're famous for their wings, so hopefully, they'll have a ''wing caesar salad'':mellow:

something quick after I come back from the gym... seared tuna and sauteed haricots verts with garlic. That sounds healthy, doesn't it?

Got to get this weight off! :rolleyes:

It's supposed to be 32C here today, and will feel like 40C with the humidex. I think it'll be left over chicken and salad that I can eat standing in the pool. :LOL:

something quick after I come back from the gym... seared tuna and sauteed haricots verts with garlic. That sounds healthy, doesn't it?

Got to get this weight off! :rolleyes:

It sounds healthy, and tasty, too!:chef:

Nothing exciting here, today, just leftovers--we've accumulated a little bit of this and a lot of that the last few days.:rolleyes:

Spaghetti and sausage for lunch again, with an added treat: Garlic bread!

McDonalds is only a block away from my gym, so I popped in there last night and picked up one of their Southwest salads with grilled cicken breast. Not bad, but they're kind of cheap with the Paul Newman Southwest dressing, and it's not as good as Chef Caine's Southwest Caesar dressing, even if I do say so myself. If I have time, I will stop by one of the many produce stands I pass on the way home tonight and pick up a couple of heads of lettuce so I can make my own salad. I still have a couple of fillets mignon sitting in the fridge, so I could make a steak salad topping of some kind, allowing the steak to marinate while I am at the gym. Can I replace the chicken in Chinese Chicken Salad with steak?

Have a pot of Mexican chickan soup going, will top with some sour cream,diced avocado and crushed tortilla chips when serving..will do some shredded beef tacos to go with the soup..Dessert, peach cobbler.

kadesma:)

Dessert, peach cobbler.

kadesma:)

Kads, do you have a recipe for your cobbler or do you just sort of wing it? The ILs are coming for the weekend and my FIL loves peaches as much as I do--we're the only two in the family--so I always like to treat him to a peach desserts when they're in season.:)

Kads, do you have a recipe for your cobbler or do you just sort of wing it? The ILs are coming for the weekend and my FIL loves peaches as much as I do--we're the only two in the family--so I always like to treat him to a peach desserts when they're in season.:)
Pa,
I use that quick recipe for peach cobbler that Siss posted some time ago, DH loves a cobbler that we get here at our favorite eat out fish place and Sizz's recipe has the same texture that he loves, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the hot cobbler, yummy..If you want I'll get the link for you;)
kads
Here is the recipe:This uses canned peaches, I just use fresh, we have 3 trees and there is no way I'm using canned:LOL:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f117/easy-peach-cobbler-24516.html

Last edited:

The best peach cobler I have ever had was in a little coffee shop type restaurant in Kingwood, West, By God, Virginia, back in 19-forgotten. They would place a shortcake biscuit in the bottom of a deep bowl, cover it with sliced peaches, fill the bowl to the rim with fresh cream, and hand you a spoon!

They had great buckwheat pancakes, too!

The best peach cobler I have ever had was in a little coffee shop type restaurant in Kingwood, West, By God, Virginia, back in 19-forgotten. They would place a shortcake biscuit in the bottom of a deep bowl, cover it with sliced peaches, fill the bowl to the rim with fresh cream, and hand you a spoon!
That's not cobbler, that's shortcake! Cobbler has the pastry only on top.

Try this one:
Peach Cobbler

My sister Nancy found this traditional (very Southern) cobbler, and I adapted it ‘way back when baking with wheat germ and honey were considered ultra-hip and healthy, but I still like the nutty taste the wheat germ imparts to one of my all-time favorite summer desserts. By the way, there’s really no substitute for fresh peaches!

12 servings (at least!)

5 cups sliced, peeled peaches
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon mace
1 extra large egg
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup clover honey
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2 teaspoons Rumford’s baking powder
1/8 teaspoons sea salt
1/3 cup whole milk

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Combine peaches with 1/4 cup honey and the spices. Put into the baking dish.

2. Beat egg with 1/4 cup honey, butter and milk. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Stir in wheat germ. Mix into egg mixture. Spread batter smoothly over fruit. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until crust is crisp and golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream, or ice cream.

I don't have a clue yet - have to work until 7:30 - probably take out from the Thai place.

...if it looks like shortcake, smells like shortcake, and comes in biscuit form like shortcake.....:chef: Whatever they call it I sure would eat it!!! :cool:

We ate our cobbler in a bowl with milk over it so I think they used the term loosely June.......it certainly sounds better than peach shortcake with milk poured over it :LOL:

You should post your cobbler recipe in the dessert forum under the cobbler sub forum - I'd hate for it to get "lost" in a dinner thread - without a title it would be impossible to search.

Back
Top Bottom