Post your stew recipies here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliev

Washing Up
I know other people have posted great stew recipes so far, but I had to start another. I can never get enough stew, soup, chili, etc this time of year. I like to make casseroles, but it's hard for a single person. I usually do that if I'm taking it to a "bring a dish to pass" type event. What other kind of interesting, yummy stews can you come up with?

Pumpkin Beef Stew: This would be a good idea for this time of year, if you were having guests for dinner. The presentation would look awesome. The stew is served from inside the pumpkin.

1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon cardamom seed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 clove
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 large onion, peeled and minced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 carrots, peeled and cut into
1 celery root, peeled and cut into
4 large red ripe tomatoes, peeled, cored and sectioned
1 acorn squash, peeled and cut into
2 quarts chicken broth, or beef broth
1 (5 lb) pumpkin, cleaned
1 cup Basmati rice, uncooked
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup coriander leaves, minced
3/4 cup parsley leaves, minced

Combine coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and clove in a spice mill or coffee grinder. Grind until smooth. Set aside. Head a tbsp of oil in large, heavy-bottom saucepan. Add the beef in one layer. Sprinkle with the spice mixture. Seer over medium heat until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Saute, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery root, tomatoes, and acorn squash. Add the broth. Return beef to the pan. Partly cover and gently simmer until the beef is tender, about 1.5 to 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet. Brush the outside with the remaining oil.

Bake until tender, about 45 to 60 minutes. Cook the rice according to package directions, set aside. To assemble, place the pumpkin in a serving dish. Fill with the stew. Divide the rice among 4 warmed bowls. Ladle the stew from the pumpkin over the rice. Garnish with coriander and parsley. Serve immediately.

LAMB STEW

10 fl. oz. dry sherry
2 cloves garlic
3 lbs. deboned lamb (leg), cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tsp salt
½ tsp milled black pepper
1 tsp ground caraway seeds
2 fl. oz. vegetable oil
2 onions, sliced
2 Tb. flour

Combine sherry& garlic in large bowl; add lamb and mix well. Cover bowl and leve the meat to marinate 3 hours. Remove lamb from marinade and pat dry; reserve the marinade.

Sprinkle, salt, pepper, caraway seeds over lamb. In large saucepan, heat oil over med. heat; add lamb and brown for 3-5 minutes; add onions and fry for 3 minutes. Add the flour and mix it well with the lamb & onions. Pour over the reserved marinade and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and reduce heat to low. Simmer the stew for at least 1 hour, or until meat is tender.

Chicken Stew

Boneless Skinless Chicken cut into cubes
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp of corrainder seeds
1 tbsp of cumin seeds
1 tsp of fennel seeds
1 tbsp of paprika for nice red color
10 baby potatoes (peeled)
1 small bag of pearl onions (peeled)
1 large white onion finely chopped
1 small can of tomato sauce
2 tsps of dry mustard powder
2 tbsp of vinegar
1 tbsp of brown sugar
3 tbsps of oil
salt to taste
1 glass of water

First, dry roast the fennel, cumin and corrainder seeds and then grind them and keep aside.

In a pan add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the cinnamon stick and bay leaf followed by the finely diced onions. Once the onions are translucent add the garlic and a heaping tbsp of the ground spices (you can add a little more if you want it more aromatic). Add the paprika and the tomato sauce can. Stir in the baby potatoes and pearl onions. Add a glass of water and let the potatoes and onions cook until almost done. Finally add the chicken along with the brown sugar, mustard and vinegar. Cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve with a nice bowl of white rice.

Meatball Stew

1 egg, beaten
1 c. soft bread crumbs
¼ c. finely chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1 tsp marjoram
½ tsp thyme
1½ lb. ground beef
2 Tbsp veg oil
2 cans Campbells beef broth
2 cans cream of celery soup (or use mushroom if you like it)
4 med. potatoes, peeled & quartered
4 med. carrots, cut into chunks
16 oz. whole pearl onions (either jarred or frozen & thawed)
¼ c. minced parsley

In a bowl, combine first 6 ingreds. Add beef & mix well. Shape into 48
meatballs. In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add next 5
ingreds. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 min, or till veggies
are tender. Sprinkle each individual bowl with parsley.

This may be more appropriate in the Chicken thread, but it certainly is a "stew" and one of my favorites.

Chicken & Spinach Stew

1 tablespoon olive oil
8 chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large red potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
3 ripe plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock or broth
Pinch of saffron
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
2 1/2 to 3 pounds spinach, stems removed and VERY well washed

Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown them lightly on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.

Add the potatoes and 1 tablespoon of the butter to the pot. Sprinkle in a bit of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to brown on their edges, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the bell peppers, onions and tomatoes and cook until the onions begin to become translucent. Pour in the wine, stiring and scraping the bottom of the pot, and bring to a boil.

When the stew is boiling, pour in the stock and crumble in the saffron. Return the chicken to the liquid and submerge the thighs as much as possible. Return again to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook gently for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are tender. Stir in the orange zest and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a big pinch of salt and the spinach. Bring to a boil and cook for a minute or two, until the spinach is completely wilted. Drain, refresh the spinach with cold water, drain again, and squeeze out excess moisture.

Just before you are ready to serve the stew, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the spinach and toss it in the butter until heated through. Season lightly with salt and add fresh ground pepper and toss.

Divide the spinach among 4-6 soup dishes, making a pile in the middle of each. Ladle in the stew to surround the spinach (with lots of broth), and serve.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they come through again jkath and Audeo... they both sound wonderful!!

From the Global Gourmet (I try to make this at least once a month in the winter)

Puerto Rican Beef Stew
Sancocho
Serves 6
It is said of a person who has been under the sweltering sun that he is sancocho - blistering hot or "stewing." This Puerto Rican stew best illustrates the one-step cooking method, a typical food preparation that has prevailed for five hundred years in Puerto Rican homes, primarily because it allows the latitude for batch cooking a nutritious meal in a single pot.

The barbacoa technique employed by the Tainos has evolved more sophisticated and complex cooking technology, but the spirit and the legacy of the barbacoa are constant as we struggle against the drudgery of the modern work day and subsequent meal preparation. When you come home, why not spend 15 minutes of preparation and 45 minutes of "R and R?" The pot over the heat does the cooking you end up with a delicious beefy stew.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 pounds top round beef, cubed into 1-1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup chopped yellow onions
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1/3 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
1 chili pepper; seeded and minced
5 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon pulverized rock salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/3 cup burgundy wine
4 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped
4 quarts beef stock
2 green bananas, peeled and slice into 1-inch pieces
1 yellow plantain, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium sweet potato (1/2 pound), diced into 1-inch pieces
1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces
3 medium new potatoes, scrubbed clean and quartered
1 large chayote, peeled, cored, and diced into 1-inch pieces
2 ears of white corn, cleaned and sliced into 6 parts each
Preparation
In a preheated kettle over low-to-medium heat, combine olive oil, garlic, beef cubes, and onions, stir until beef is brown on all sides and onions begin to caramelize. Fold in chopped pepper, celery, gingerroot, chili pepper, cilantro, cumin, salt, white pepper, burgundy wine, tomatoes, and 1 quart of beef stock. Cook down until stock is reduced by half.

Stir beef, then fold in all the remaining vegetables and beef stock. Continue to cook until meat is tender and the vegetables soft.
Serving Suggestions:
Since this soup contains beef and vegetables, it is hearty already. Serve alongside a fresh bread and use the bread to soak up some of this delicious flavor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sounds really yummy.. yeah, you have to have fresh bread to soak up all the juice. I like fresh bread with soup and chili too.

Hungarin stew ( Crock Pot )
1 2lb boneless beef chuck roast cut up into pieces
2 cups carrots sliced
1 med. onion sliced
1 med. green pepper sliced
1/3 cup flour
3 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 can beef broth
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 pkg cooked wide egg noodles
1 8oz sour cream
In crock pot combine beef, carrots,onions,bell pepper, Add the flour,paprika,salt, thyme,pepper, toss to coat, Add chili sauce and broth and mix well. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. About 35 minutes before serving stir in the mushrooms cover and cook on low for 20 more min.
At serving time stir in the sour cream until well mixed. Serve over the cooked noodles.

I was watching Emeril several years ago, and he did a chicken pot pie that I found pretty darned good...(note I have probably evolved a few "Lifterisms" to account for my own tastes, but you guys know enough to move the parameters around to suit yourselves)

Note you will need an enamelled cast pot do do this as recorded here...I've been using this gem for 25+ years, a superb wedding present from my parent's neighbours...

In a saucepan, melt about a cup of margerine, and mix in a half cup each of finely chopped celery, green pepper and yellow onion, and saute slowly a few minutes, and add about 3/4 c of flour, mixing well while keeping the heat low until its all dissolved into the margerine, and bubbling nicely...

Now add 2 1/2 cups of cooled chicken stock, and mix well, increasing the heat to medium, allowing it to come to a very low boil.

About three chicken breasts (note here, I get ones here that would be called "oversized" air-chilled, barn fed, you might have to go a bit more if you're still buying that storepacked stuff) that are cut into pieces, more than a mouthfull, about two bites, ideally)

A bout 3 medium Yukon Gold potato's, peeled and diced to 3/8" squares...

Simmer this around several minutes and let it get at least semi-cooked...

Then add about 4 carrots, skinned, cut to 2" lengths and split or quartered...

About a quarter cup of pot barley...

About a cup of the tiniest frozen peas you can find (they take so little cooking, I find it best to use frozen)

Then season with S+P (noting I'm fussy, and use Sea Salt and fresh ground "mixed" peppercorns, but that's me being me!), some parsley flakes (get generous!), marjoram, and anything else that strikes your fancy...

Mix verry well with a spoon, and dump from saucepan to the pot ("I" call it my "Dutch Oven") and this should just about fill it...cover with an un- frozen pie crust...(my shameful secret, I CANNOT make pie dough! My Mom always said I 'fiddled" with it too much to ever succeed!), sealing the edges and cutting a few "blow holes" in the top...

Set this in the oven at 350 for about an hour

Remove, allow to cool a half hour, and its dinner out of the pot...

A few notes, that you can freeze your turkey leftovers (bone them out first), and/or turkey gravy leftovers to toss in with this, it just needs less cooking time for the meat...but if you use the pot barley, you have to give them time to soak up the fluids, or you could eliminate...

Pork tenderloin, cut up raw, will also substitute well for turkey/chicken

Anybody that can make "real" as in "flakey" crusts will make this better than me...

Lifter

This is from one of my coworkers, Ricardo. He is from South America and has the most wonderful accent. One of my goals for this winter is to make this stew.

Lamb Stew Recipe from the Ecuadorian High Sierras

This delicious dish originates from the Inca Empire days; according to the legend, the recipe ingredients and condiments have not changed since the beginning. Today, the Indians in the Andes still use a clay pot to cook the stew, which makes this dish, taste exquisite. In addition, people use the recipe ingredients to cook dishes of rabbit, deer, pork, beef, and other wild game stews. The following description of the ingredients is compound for two persons, if you want to make this dish for more than two persons, all you have to do is increase the amount of each ingredient.

• One pound of lamb meat, if you can obtain some bones the stew tends to taste better.
• One pound of brown potatoes cut in chunks.
• One pound of baby carrots, or regular chopped to chunks.
• One pound of peas.
• One big size red onion cut in chunks.
• 2 ounces of chopped garlic.
• Half of a teaspoon containing cumin.
• Chopped cilantro to your liking, a fairly amount of this ingredient will give the stew a great taste.
• One green or red bell pepper cut in chunks.
• Three stems of celery cut in chunks.
• One delicious and red tomato cut in chunks.
• Some people add cauliflower. (tastes great)
Cook all these ingredients until they are tender and delicious.

• This dish is serve with rice

Coma a gusto!
Ricardo

Thank you everyone for the great recipes.. they all sound fantastic!!

HMMMM!

A pound of peas is a lot of peas...as can be a pound of carrots...compared with the otherwise attractive amounts in this recipe...you might want to "toy" with this a bit...but it otherwise sounds like a good one!

Lifter

You are right a pound of both peas and carrots is alot. Especially, since I am not a huge fan of either. I think I would at least reduce them to 1/4 to 1/2. But that is the great thing about cooking you can change recipes to fit your needs or likes.

Pork and Purple Sweet Potato Stew:

3/4 lb boneless pork loin, cut, into 1-inc, h pieces
1 tsp-2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 salt and black pepper
2 tbsp flour
1 lb purple sweet potatoes,, peeled and, cubed
2 cup veal stock
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup shredded sweet potato
2 tbsp chopped green onions
1 tbsp sliced red peppers (from a jar)

In a mixing bowl, toss the pork pieces with the red pepper flakes.. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the pork and browne venly. Remove the pork from the pan and set aside. In a mixing bowl, season the onions, peppers, and celery with salt and pepper. Stir the
flour into the oil, stirring constantly for about 4 to 5 minutes, for
a medium brown roux. Add the onions, peppers, and celery to the roux
and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly wilted. Return
the pork to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly for 3 to 4
minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and broth. Bring the liquid up to a
boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 40-45 minutes. Stir in the
green onions and check seasonings. Make nests with shredded sweet
potato and fry until crispy. Season with red pepper flakes. Spoon the stew into a shallow bowl and garnish sweet potato nests, green onions, and
peppers.

Wow these sound good!

Lifter - I'm so with you on the pie crust issue! I completely believe that
Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts are a gift from heaven!

Julie - so glad to finally see you! You are adorable! (Ps - Lauren Fenmore only wishes you looked like her)

jkath said:
Wow these sound good!

Lifter - I'm so with you on the pie crust issue! I completely believe that
Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts are a gift from heaven!

Julie - so glad to finally see you! You are adorable! (Ps - Lauren Fenmore only wishes you looked like her)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: lol.. I only wish I looked like her!

Oxtail Stew (Bonitatibus Style)

All amounts are approximate:

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 ½ lb. oxtails
Olive oil
2 (28 oz.) cans Italian plum tomatoes or 4 (14 oz.) cans ready-cut tomatoes
2 large onions
4 cups red wine (Gallo Hearty Burgundy is best)
1 can low sodium chicken broth
5 cloves garlic
Water
2-3 lbs. root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, potatoes, etc.)
Basil to taste (Fresh is the best)
1-2 pinches crushed red pepper

Mix the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bag. Put meat in bag and shake well. Brown floured meat at high temperatures in olive oil in heavy pan. Put in large pot with tomatoes, 1 onion quartered, 2 cups wine, chicken broth, garlic, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 hours. Add vegetables cut into large chunks plus other onion quartered. Add 1 cup of wine. Simmer until meat is tender (another 2 hours). Add water or wine if it gets too thick. Add basil, red pepper, and remaining 1 cup of wine. Simmer for half hour more. Meat should be falling off the bones. Remove bones from pot at this point. Salt and pepper to taste.

Back
Top Bottom