Need Input on New Herb and Spice Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
OK guys! We agree there should be a forum devoted to Herbs and Spices, which is basically what it will be called. What do you want to see this forum cover? Give us your input on how you would like to see this forum divided out. Some basic thoughts are for sub forums:

Growing Herbs and Spices
Tips, questions, all discussion on growing herbs and spices

Uses for Herbs and Spices
Tips, questions, all discussions on uses for herbs and spices

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, this is for you guys. What do you envision when you open this new forum? What sub forums would you like to see? Let's brainstorm here. You don't have to worry about being so accurate here - just throw out some ideas you have and let's get this started. We'll leave this open for discussion for about a week and then make a final decision.

How about Growing and Processing Herbs and Spices. To cover things like drying, grinding, etc.

As for Uses, do you see recipes for things like pesto or dill sauce here?

I agree with Katie and Andy on this. It be good to have a thread on preserving and processing herbs and spices.

How about Growing and Processing Herbs and Spices. To cover things like drying, grinding, etc.

As for Uses, do you see recipes for things like pesto or dill sauce here?

Maybe - Growing and Preserving Herbs and Spices?

As far as the pesto and dill sauce question - that's what we're trying to figure out. I see where this is exactly where someone might post a question and the answer could be - Make pesto - or make a dill sauce....and then they would post a recipe.

I like this idea,and recipes for the sauce or where a certain sauce might work is a good idea.example being pesto and where it can be used..The specific recipe such as with pasta or bruschetta I feel might better be placed in say the pasta forum or appitizers rather than in the herb section..If that were to happen, specific recipes then the other forum would lose some members and people would be confused where to plce certain questions, The herb forum would over flow with recipes that belong else where..
So growing, preserving, herb sauces would be great...say a section for hot sauces and one for fresh and cold but sauces only..Not a full recipe other than suggestions for their use.
cj

:)What about about what spices or herbs go with what?And what combinations for what dishes.And herb spice blends for specific dishes.

:)What about about what spices or herbs go with what?And what combinations for what dishes.And herb spice blends for specific dishes.

What spices or herbs go with what would fall under Uses for Herbs and Spices, wouldn't it?

Blends - we did discuss a sub forum titled this also - this is exactly the type of input we need from you guys!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!!

Miss Elf...

A rhetorical question. If I wanted to post a recipe called Chicken Tarragon, would I post it under Chicken, or might it go under "Uses for Herbs & Spices" as the Tarragon sauce is key in the dish?

Rhetorically I would say it still goes under Chicken :chef:

This is where it gets tricky and why we have discussed that MOST instances fall under another forum already listed and have hesitated to add it.

:)I would also say under chicken because its a chicken recipe its not about tarragon which by the way is not my favorite herb unless used very,very lightly

growing, drying, processing etc

uses for:what goes with what. standard as well as unusual: ie. cinnamon goes well with apples and in baking, but also in tomato sauce for a Greek or eastern mediterainian touch. etc

recipes for such staples as pesto, dill sauce, herb marinades and what they work with etc.

I think it will be a fine addition to the board, and sure there will be cross referencing.

Perhaps a stickied thread with a basic spice bible? Something that just outlines the basic uses and flavor profiles?

Where do you see this stickie going? That's not a bad idea.

It could certainly still be an open discussion thread.

I think that there should be a thread about where all of the herbs and spices come from
Like a grown up geography lesson and then some knowledge of how to use them
I worked for a large organic herb and spice company and every day it was something new coming in the frieght door, which made my day interesting as I got to cook with all of them

Miss Elf...

A rhetorical question. If I wanted to post a recipe called Chicken Tarragon, would I post it under Chicken, or might it go under "Uses for Herbs & Spices" as the Tarragon sauce is key in the dish?

I would say if you just happened to have a very good recipe you want to share, it shoud go in the poultry forum. If someone was asking about the uses for tarragon and wondered if it would work with chicken, you could post it in the new forum.

There are many questions on this site that could appropriately fit into more than one forum.

If someone was asking about the uses for tarragon and wondered if it would work with chicken, you could post it in the new forum.

Or one could post in the chicken forum with a LINK in the Herb and Spice forum to it :mrgreen: Now THAT would be the perfect answer!! :chef:

Miss Elf...

Good question. Whenever I see a post asking about a specific food, I answer it and if I have a recipe regarding the food, I post it in the forum in which the question was asked and...also in the category in which the recipe would be found. This way it makes it easier for folks who are "searching" for this particular food/recipe can find it more readily using our search program. Just my way of doing things. Not everyone is in the habit of doing things this way.

Where do you see this stickie going? That's not a bad idea.

It could certainly still be an open discussion thread.

Just as a header kind of thing, like the community announcements.

A kind of "everything you need to know but were afraid to ask" thingy. Just a basic run down, and of course, keep the forum an open topic/conversation forum.

Katie E said:
Good question. Whenever I see a post asking about a specific food, I answer it and if I have a recipe regarding the food, I post it in the forum in which the question was asked and...also in the category in which the recipe would be found. This way it makes it easier for folks who are "searching" for this particular food/recipe can find it more readily using our search program. Just my way of doing things. Not everyone is in the habit of doing things this way.

Dang girl, we were on the same wavelength!!!! :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom