Rice Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher's Mom

Executive Chef
I keep seeing rice cookers on sale. I know some have steamer inserts for cooking other things but I'm wondering, does anyone else have one? Do you use it very much? Does it make rice better than in a pan on the stove? I mean, I make rice probably every other night on the stove and I'm not a good cook but the rice always comes out well and it's really easy to do. So are there some advantages to rice in a rice cooker?

It's a convenience because it gives you perfect rice and you don't really have to pay attention to it. You add the rice and water then turn it on and forget it. It cooks the rice then keeps it warm until you are ready.

As you said, it also works as a steamer for veggies and other things.

From what I've heard, you don't have to spend a lot to get a good one. Others have mentioned $20. rice cookers that do the job!

hi There. I Have Just Joined. My Name Is Sylvia. And I Read Your Question.
well I Bought A Rice Cooker When They First Came Out. And Would Not Be Without Mine. Especially If You Cook Rice Regular. They Are Brilliant As
they Also Have A Keep Warm Switch, Which Do Not Stick To The Bottom. My Family Loves Rice Frozen Peas And A Bag Of Large Frozen Prawns. You
do Get A Paddle Cup And Recipe Book.plus If You Make A Lot And Have Plenty Left. I Put In My Lock And Lid Containers.you Can Also Add Ingredients To The Rice Like Curry Powder Ect. Plus Pudding Rice. And
you Can Also Cook Other Recipes Without It Being Rice. I Myself Would
not Be Without It. They Are Excellent. And So Easy To Use. But If You Do Buy One Tefal Does A Good Non Stick. Plus You Recieve A Top Tray For Steaming. Hope This Helps Thanks Sylvia.

Last edited:
I finally purchased a rice cooker since I saw it at Costco (Aroma digital 10 cup cool touch). It cost me about $30.

0000212405940_LG.jpg

It is pre-programmed for white rice and brown rice and has a basket for steaming foods. The main feature that I like is the removable non-stick cooking pot for easy cleaning.

I never thought I'd use one, however, I have a habit of putting a pot of rice on the stove and getting absorbed in something else. After burning the rice twice in a week it was an easy decision. The Aroma rice cooker automatically goes into a warming mode after the rice is cooked.

I love it. It was a long overdue purchase. This is the only one I've ever used so I cannot speak about other brands or models.

hi There. I Have Just Joined. My Name Is Sylvia. And I Read Your Question.
well I Bought A Rice Cooker When They First Came Out. And Would Not Be Without Mine. Especially If You Cook Rice Regular. They Are Brilliant As
they Also Have A Keep Warm Switch, Which Do Not Stick To The Bottom. My Family Loves Rice Frozen Peas And A Bag Of Large Frozen Prawns. You
do Get A Paddle Cup And Recipe Book.plus If You Make A Lot And Have Plenty Left. I Put In My Lock And Lid Containers.you Can Also Add Ingredients To The Rice Like Curry Powder Ect. Plus Pudding Rice. And
you Can Also Cook Other Recipes Without It Being Rice. I Myself Would
not Be Without It. They Are Excellent. And So Easy To Use. But If You Do Buy One Tefal Does A Good Non Stick. Plus You Recieve A Top Tray For Steaming. Hope This Helps Thanks Sylvia.
Thanks Sylvia, I'm sold. The keep warm thing I hadn't thought about but that would be excellent. I'm not good at timing so rarely do I have every dish get done at the same time for a meal. That would be one less thing to worry about. Time to hit Amazon.com!

BTW, welcome to DC and thanks again for your help.

hi There. Thanks For Your Reply. So Glad You Are Hitting Amazon .lol I Use It Too.and Of Course Ebay.woooooo Lol. But Amazon I Do Use A Lot.
especially My Kitchen Gadgets. The First Rice Cooker I Had The Inside Never Came Out.plus It Was Not Non Stick.but It Still Had A Warmer And Steamer Ect. Well I Wore It Out.lol So Then Saw Tsv On Qvc.they Had A Tefal Non Stick It Is Brilliant. But So Are The Other Brands. They All Have The Same Now. Plus On Amazon You Will Pick One Up Next To Nothing. Honestly You Will Never Look Back.plus I Think The Capacity Is Either 8 Or 10 Ltres. Thats A Lot Of Rice.lol Well Happy Rice Hunting Let Me Know Okay. Take Care Sylvia.

Bought A Brilliant One.

I finally purchased a rice cooker since I saw it at Costco (Aroma digital 10 cup cool touch). It cost me about $30.

0000212405940_LG.jpg

It is pre-programmed for white rice and brown rice and has a basket for steaming foods. The main feature that I like is the removable non-stick cooking pot for easy cleaning.

I never thought I'd use one, however, I have a habit of putting a pot of rice on the stove and getting absorbed in something else. After burning the rice twice in a week it was an easy decision. The Aroma rice cooker automatically goes into a warming mode after the rice is cooked.

I love it. It was a long overdue purchase. This is the only one I've ever used so I cannot speak about other brands or models.

HI THERE.JUST TO SAY WHAT A LOVELY RICE COOKER. I MEAN THAT.
I HAVE A TEFAL IN WHICH I WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT. HOWEVER YOURS IS MORE ADVANCED.AS IT DOES WHITE OR BROWN.PLUS IT LOOKS CLASSY. AS FOR THE PRICE WOW. I KNOW THAT IS IN DOLLARS.
SO OVER UK THAT WOULD COST TREBLE.AS MINE COST WELL OVER THAT ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO. JUST LIKE YOU I WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT MINE. I AM REALLY GLAD PLUS IT LOOKS AS IF IT HOLD A LOT MORE THAN MINE. I BET IT ALSO LOOKS GOOD IN THE KITCHEN TOO. I LOVE
COOKING AND KITCHEN GADGETS. LOL BUT THEY ARE SO USEFUL LIKE
COOKING RICE ECT. TAKE CARE SYLVIA.:)

The rice cooker that I have came in handy with my fried rice. I used to steam the rice in a covered saucepan but it would leave too much liquid in it. Once I steamed the rice in the rice cooker, the stir fried rice was dry enough to hand and not sticky anymore. The cooker also comes in handy when I'm steaming Japanese sticky rice for our sushi. It's a good investment.

Thanks

The rice cooker that I have came in handy with my fried rice. I used to steam the rice in a covered saucepan but it would leave too much liquid in it. Once I steamed the rice in the rice cooker, the stir fried rice was dry enough to hand and not sticky anymore. The cooker also comes in handy when I'm steaming Japanese sticky rice for our sushi. It's a good investment.

Hi There. Dina. Thanks for this.You are all so friendly on here. And like you i would not be without mine.I know this sounds cheeky however only when you have time.I would really like your recipe for Japenese sticky rice. As it
sounds MMMMMMMMMMM Lush. But if it is a secrect recipe of yours please do not worry.And i hope you do not mind in me asking you.
Take Care Sylvia.:chef:

Hi Aurora, thanks for posting your cooker. That's a very good deal and so I'll be hitting Costco. Looks like yours has all the best features that are on some of the $75+ models.

Me, too, Dina. Would love to learn how you do fried rice.

Sylvia, you're a peach and gonna fit right in. Sooo glad you're here!

We have a rice cooker, too, but not as advanced as any you folks have. Purchased it for $2 at a thrift store and love it.

It's great for cooking potatoes for potato salad and steaming green beans.

The great thing about cooking potatoes for potato salad in the rice cooker is that they don't get too much water in them because they're cooked in the steamer basket. No boil-overs either, which can be a challenge for some potato cooks.

Love our little R2-D2 rice cooker.:)

Lovely People On Here

Hi Aurora, thanks for posting your cooker. That's a very good deal and so I'll be hitting Costco. Looks like yours has all the best features that are on some of the $75+ models.

Sylvia, you're a peach and gonna fit right in. Sooo glad you're here!

Hi There. Awwwww thanks for your lovely message you are all so very kind.
i have been on aol for over 10yrs and have been in chat rooms ect.But could never fit in.As someone would always start a row over a subject or personal comment.In which the rooms were not for any of that.So i sopped bothering.
You have all made me so welcome and i am so grateful to everyone.
Thanks Sylvia.:chef:

Thanks

We have a rice cooker, too, but not as advanced as any you folks have. Purchased it for $2 at a thrift store and love it.

It's great for cooking potatoes for potato salad and steaming green beans.

The great thing about cooking potatoes for potato salad in the rice cooker is that they don't get too much water in them because they're cooked in the steamer basket. No boil-overs either, which can be a challenge for some potato cooks.

Love our little R2-D2 rice cooker.:)

Hi There. Katie.I have only joined tonight and i have learned so many ideas in regards of a rice=cooker. I have had one for years.But never even thought of cooking potatoes in it.So may i try your way of cooking potatoes as you do.
As it is a great idea.Hope you do not mind.lol. Plus i will use it tommorrow.
With potatoes.lol What a suprise and a brilliant method.
Thanks Sylvia.:chef:

Oh Sylvia, I'd be more than happy to share any recipe with you and everyone else on here. That's why we have this forum to share tips and recipes and make us all better cooks. First thing you want to do is get some Japanese rice (also called sticky rice) from a Tokyo market near you. Would you like sushi recipes, or simply rice recipes? Let me know and I'll be glad to oblige.

I love my Aroma rice cooker that I bought at Sam's for about $25. The one at Costco is a little nicer but at the time, we didn't have one nearby. While the rice is cooking I put potstickers in the basket (they've already been browned as per my DH's instructions, lol!). That way I get 2 items cooked at the same time. It works out well for me that way.

Welcome, Sylvia, from across the big pond! Glad you are here!

My first rice cooker, 25 years ago, was an Hitachi. Real simple: Put in the rice and the water, push down the button and wait for the little bell to ring.

When that one gave up the ghost in the middle of fixing dinner one Sunday evening about 10 years ago, I went to the only place nearby that was open, Longs Drugs, and bought an Aroma rice cooker for 25 bucks. Hey, it had Martin Yan's picture on the box, and if Yan can cook, you can too!
20296317.JPG

About 6 months ago, my local Le Gourmet Chef closed shop, and I picked up a KRUPS RICE COOKER/VEGETABLE STEAMER/SLOW COOKER, for $79.95. Regular price was $159.95 I gave the Aeoma to my son, Plague of Locusts.

fd212_main.jpg

You can have THIS rice cooker when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

Last edited:
Here you are Fisher's Mom.

Chinese Fried Rice
2 cups medium grain cooked rice (from rice cooker as it releases all the excess water)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 tablespoon sesame oil (must have this oil for flavor)
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 large clove fresh garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced OR 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 eggs
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup frozen peas(you can use a mixture of frozen peas and carrots)
  1. Follow the rice cooker directions on how to cook the rice. Set aside once cooked.
  2. In a large skillet or wok, place 2 tablespoons of oil to get hot over med-high heat. Scramble eggs, breaking them up. Put it into your serving bowl for holding.
  3. Put the other 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet and fry the onion until almost transparent.
  4. Add the peas (and carrots), stir-frying those to thaw. Heat thoroughly.
  5. Pour rice into the skillet and add the eggs, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Pour in the soy sauce as well.
  6. With a quick hand, toss ingredients over med-high heat and stir quickly. "Fry" the rice until all the soy sauce is distributed and the color and strength is to your liking.
  7. Dish it up and serve it with your favorite other Chinese dishes or just do what I do and make a meal out of it by adding extra eggs for the protein!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you Dina. This is just what I was looking for. I've noticed most recipes for fried rice call for using cooked rice that has been refrigerated overnight. I'm usually not together enough to do that so your recipe is perfect. And it sounds yummy, too.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could also use them for grits and oatmeal? I wonder if a little trial and error ....

Back
Top Bottom