The Next Iron Chef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely going to watch it! I’m actually watching Iron Chef America right now. Mario Batali is the Iron Chef doing andouille sausage battle. He went to grab some ingredients about 6 minutes in, and came back with an armload of greens. Alton Brown screams out “Chef, what are you going to do to those greens”. Mario quickly responded in a somewhat evil voice, “I’m gonna boil the he11 out of ‘em”! The way he said it was hilarious.

Uh, guess you had to see it??? :LOL:

I'm watching the last 1/2 of the rerun right now. Right away I notice several chefs that are the real deal; not like the folks you'd see on Who Wants to Be the Next Food Network Star. John Besh, Traci Des Jardins, and Michael Symon are all well known, and I'm actually excited that FoodTV has brought competitors of this quality to the show.

The only thing I wonder about is the fact that these are REAL chefs with REAL restaurants to run, and I wonder how well they will deal with the stress of TV and competition as well as being away from their businesses.

Last edited:
Wow also just noticed that Michael Ruhlman is on the judging panel. Gotta say, he's probably right up there in popularity with Anthony Bourdain, and is a very analytic individual. Pick up his books if you haven't read them. This is shaping up to be a great show!

Can't wait to see it! Hawaii time is a little screwy when trying to catch shows I am used to at a different time though.

The andoullie battle was GREAT!

I'm watching the last 1/2 of the rerun right now. Right away I notice several chefs that are the real deal; not like the folks you'd see on Who Wants to Be the Next Food Network Star. John Besh, Traci Des Jardins, and Michael Symon are all well known, and I'm actually excited that FoodTV has brought competitors of this quality to the show.

Yeah, I recognized several who had participated in Iron Chef America battles this past year. Great show :)

Yeah, I recognized several who had participated in Iron Chef America battles this past year. Great show :)

I believe all are former challengers from ICA. I recognized them all from the battles, except Chef Jill, the younger of the female chefs.

I was really disappointed that Des Jarden (sp?) was the first eliminated. I thought Symon's fall back use of a colleagues recipe involving the bacon ice cream was the death of him.

I personally think that Besh is the one to beat. Not to take away from the rest at all; I just think he's got the best shot of them all based on round 1 and recalling his battle in ICA.

Certainly watching.

Besh or the funky haired San Fran guy are probably the toughest...but any chef can have a bad day so we'll see!

Yeah, I don't really know why they got on Symon so hard about using a familiar recipe. It seems to me like you would want your ICA to have a large repertoire from which to draw experience and ideas.

... starts tonight. Anyone planning to watch? I am :)

I am too! By the way, for any Amateur Gourmet fans, he will be posting a commentary blog on the Food Network website after every episode. Quote from his first blog:

"Judging by tonight's episode, Chef Morou will have your oysters shucked in a jiffy, but they'll be slathered in his blood. And Chef Cosentino may whip up his olive oil zabayone quite zippily, but that extra hit of salinity you're tasting probably came from his forehead."

LOL!

Re: Morou - husband & I were laughing about that too!! How after he cut his hand fileting the salmon he went right onto the oyster shucking without any hesitation. We couldn't believe that he wouldn't have gotten a ton of points deducted for that from a sanitation standpoint.

I mean, heck, I could cut things up at the speed of light too, but what good would it do since at the end I certainly wouldn't have many fingers left - lol!!!

Did anyone watch Sunday? I am fascinated by the science thing, but I could never cook that way. No more women. I am enjoying the show, it's a little different from than the others I usually watch.

I completely forgot about it & missed this past Sunday's episode, but am sure Food Network will repeat it ad infinitum (that's their thing).

Husband & I did get a giggle out of Chef Morou being one of the noted chef's in this past Sunday's Washington Post magazine section, which was/is the annual Wash. DC "Dining Guide". Wonder if the editors caught him bleeding all over his food in the first "New Iron Chef" episode. Bet that's given some diners 2nd thoughts - lol!!!!

Back
Top Bottom