Tortillas just like in Mexico?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenrocker

Assistant Cook
I like tortillas...fajitas, burritos, wraps...love em all. But I don't like the "gummy" taste and texture of the store bought ones. I have been to Mexico on numerous occasions and I go crazy for the fresh home-made ones that they serve there. Is there a recipe or method I can use to make tortillas like that myself? Thanks...Kitchenrocker.

kitchenrocker, there is a fabulous 10 minute video on YouTube by Robert Rodriguez (the director) where he shows how to make authentic tortillas. I know he's dead on because he's from San Antonio and he makes them exactly like my Mexican friends do. Someone here on DC posted the link a while back (sorry I can't remember who) and that's how I saw it. I'll look for it but you might try doing a search for it. It is exactly what you want!

kitchenrocker,
You will need a good corn grinder to make these kind of tortillas. Down here in the south (neighboring Mexico) we have lots of corn milling stores where we buy the fresh corn dough to make tortillas and tamales. If you can't find one of these milling stores near you, I'd recommend you buy corn flour MASEKA brand and follow the directions on the package. I will go search for more info for you.

Well, when you say "fajitas, burritos, wraps" I can only assume you mean flour tortillas - not corn tortillas.

Simple - steam them! Right out of the package they can be a bit chewey - but if you steam them for a minute or two they are just fine. I have a thing called a splatter guard that I just put over a skillet of simmeromg water - steam them a minute on each side ... you're good to go.

I like tortillas...fajitas, burritos, wraps...love em all. But I don't like the "gummy" taste and texture of the store bought ones. I have been to Mexico on numerous occasions and I go crazy for the fresh home-made ones that they serve there. Is there a recipe or method I can use to make tortillas like that myself? Thanks...Kitchenrocker.
:)What brands do you have access to?Because her in the southwest and Im sure most places in the US we can get pretty authentic tortillas.Oh.and yes like someone said before do you want the corn or flour tortillas.

Well, when you say "fajitas, burritos, wraps" I can only assume you mean flour tortillas - not corn tortillas.

Simple - steam them! Right out of the package they can be a bit chewey - but if you steam them for a minute or two they are just fine. I have a thing called a splatter guard that I just put over a skillet of simmeromg water - steam them a minute on each side ... you're good to go.
:huh:I have never heard of steaming flour tortillas before would that not make them more gummy?

Actually, we take the store-bought flour tortillas and heat them for a few seconds on each side on the open gas flame of the stove. They kind of puff up and they taste pretty good. But they really can't compare to home made flour tortillas, if you have the time to make them.

I've never tried making my own before but where I live you don't have to travel far to find a place that makes them fresh daily.
If you buy flour tortillas and heat them up at home it is best to heat them on a comal. It's basically a flat cast iron skillet and heats up the tortillas evenly.

We make tortillas (we call it roti's but it's the same thing) daily. We make it from wheat flour but have made it successfully from corn flour (ground corn) and white refined flour along with millet flour (not found here but very popular in India).

In short making tortillas is really easy if you follow some basic principles.

Make the dough with a tbsp of oil or whatever other grease you want to add, pinch of salt and water to bind the dough. Always make the dough not too hard nor too soft and knead it until it's smooth. Let it rest covered for atleast and hour.

Make even size balls and roll each of them and then roast them in a non-stick pan. I like to store mine in a foil and cover them tightly so they stay fresh, soft and pliable. In my house they are consumed the same day because we eat everything with roti.

Back
Top Bottom