ISO Philadelphia pepper pot soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave, I found this one by googling "Philadelphia Pepper Pot soup." There were several to choose from.

Philadelphia Pepper Pot Soup Recipe

Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds honeycomb tripe
Sprinkles of salt for rubbing
Water
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onions
1 whole onion, studded with 3 cloves
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup peeled, quartered and thinly sliced carrots
1 leek (about 1 cup), washed, sliced, including tender green part
1/2 cup diced green pepper
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
1 small meaty veal knuckle
1 garlic clove, diced
2 to 3 teaspoons dried hot red chilies, crushed, or chili powder to taste
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 cups 1/2-inch-diced potatoes
1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
1/3 cup butter for swirling into soup when served
1/2 cup snipped parsley for garnish

Instructions
Wash tripe under cold running water. Spread pieces on the counter or cutting board and rub both sides thoroughly with several teaspoons of salt. Rinse off the salt. Place tripe in a medium (3-quart) saucepan and add salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a gentle boil and cook 15 minutes. Drain and set aside. When cool cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Reserve.
Heat butter in a deep (4 to 5 quarts) kettle or casserole. When butter begins to foam, add chopped onions, the whole studded onion, celery, carrots, leek and green pepper. Cover and sweat over medium low heat for 10 minutes. Do not brown.
Pour stock and water into the kettle and add the veal bone and reserved tripe cubes. Add garlic, hot chilies, bay leaf, marjoram, basil, thyme, salt if desired, and black pepper. Simmer 1 1/2 hours. At the end of this period, lift out the veal bone and pick off what meat there is. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to the soup. Discard the bone and whole onion.
Mix together cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Add it to the soup and stir to blend. Add parsley and diced potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
When soup is cooked, but still keeping it over the heat, add evaporated milk or cream. Swirl the butter into the soup at the moment of ladling it into a heated tureen or individual bowls. Garnish with snipped parsley.
Yield: 6 servings Nutrition information per serving: calories, 432; fat, 26.1 grams; carbohydrate, 22.5 grams; cholesterol, 173 milligrams; sodium, 2,757 milligrams.

Last edited:
Good grief, am I confused.

Have not had pepper pot soup since I was fed it as a kid, but I do remember it had tripe and was a thin soup (no roux, thickener of any kind, and absolutely no milk or cream).

Oh yes, and it had pepper, a distinct taste of black pepper, not the red stuff with capsaicin. I found the black pepper flavor particulary appealing.

Never was not particularly moved to try making the stuff as I got older, but always remembered it. Did not get the recipe, sigh.

The recipe posted by DQ intrigued me because it was nothing like the ppot dish I remember.

So I did a search for the soup and tried to figure out if there was a common thread for calling a soup pepper pot, i.e. wanted to know if there was something that would positively define the stuff as McCoy ppot.

Struck out again, as usual. Was hanging onto tripe as the defining ingredient, but, alas, found a bunch of recipes did not mention food from a cow's stomach.

What the heck a pepper pot soup is, I have no idea.

Rats.

Auntdot - I too recall Pepperpot soup the way you describe it. In fact, although of course MUCH better, it was more similar to the Campbell's canned version than DQ's.

At the same time my grandmother (100% Bohemian Czech) used to make a tripe soup very similar to DQ's (minus the cream), but she definitely didn't call it Pepperpot. It was, in fact, a soup her mother & grandmother used to make back in the old country (Bohemia).

Aunt Dot the soup I used to make was with out cream or milk thin and a distinct black pepper flavor. Like your bohemian soup described with carrots, celery, onion,garlic, and crushed tomatoes and tripe.and seasonings
Modern folks today turn up thier noses at eating tounge, tripe but fail to remember that folks in euorpe ate the cow or pig from tail to nose with very little going to waste and thought nothing about it was a natural occurance

Back
Top Bottom