Favorite chicken dishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We eat a lot of chicken around here, as I can get chicken cheap. That said, I find myself cooking a lot of:

Roasted chicken with gravy
Brined chicken pieces, then "smoke/roasted" on the grill
Smoked chicken
Chicken Rice soup
Chicken Tortilla soup (this is really good if you use smoked chicken for it)
Chicken seafood gumbo

I did a Duxelle-stuffed chicken breast dish a couple times earlier this year, and my family loved it. If I can find a cheap source of chicken breasts, I may do it more often.

I'm also fond of many other chicken dishes, that my family isn't to keen on. Those are:
Jerked Chicken
Chicken Marsala
Tandoori Chicken
A cheesy Mexican chicken rice casserole type dish that I make
Good chicken enchiladas

I want to do some chicken tamales, or at least a good casserole using a masa topping with chicken tamale filling.

An old family favourite growing up was chicken stew with dumplings. But DH and I go for lighter fare these days. I prefer to work with (the dreaded) boneless skinless thighs and breasts, just searing them with salt, pepper and maybe a few herbs, then finishing them in the oven. I serve them with roasted veggies and everyone loves them!

I also love chicken in all shape and form but some of my favorites are:

Chicken Satay
Chicken Coconut Curry (Thai Style)
Orange Chicken
Chicken Eggrolls and Potstickers
Chicken Corn Soup
Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken Biryani
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Tenders
Chicken Tikkas
Chicken Sheek Kababs (Made with minced chicken and spices)

I love schitzel
Sweet and Sour
General Tzoi
Sesame Chicken
Chicken Marsala
Plain old baked chicken
Cold chicken from chicken soup
Chicken Kiev (which I haven't made in years, but I have to say i make pretty darn chicken Kiev) for some reason it is made from ground chicken in most places I have seen it - a big No-No in Kiev.
Grilled with vegies
and countless others

Typically, I use the skin for a chicken cracklin’ of sorts that is great for a salad or soup topper, but I’d love to have a recipe where it should be more fully incorporated. I’ve done cracklin’, corn bread mixes, and skin roll-ups or toppers, but would love more insight on this (uses for chicken skin).

I eat the cracklins with salt as a snack ;)

Just a little curious on some people's favorite chicken dishes (because there are countless adaptations!)

I would say chicken kiev, cordon bleu, and chicken in a sage-vermouth sauce are my favorites.

My favorites include:
Fried chicken
Sesame chicken
"Wine-butt" chicken
Roast chicken
Barbecued
Stir-fried
Chicken parmesan with marinara
Chicken satay with peanut sauce
Marinated chicken kebabs with peppers and onions
Chicken enchiladas

I love fried chicken and oven roasted with simple spices. Has to be thigh or legs for me.

1. Homemade Mu shu chicken rolled in low fat tortillas with some hoisin sauce

2. Grandma's homemade fried chicken that has been brined (give me the thighs)

3. Lemon chicken

4. Chicken cacciatore

When I said, "I never met a chicken I didn't like ... except boneless-skinless." I was referring to those "boneless-skinless" packages in the meat counter. But, it was fun watching the assumptions fly ... :LOL:

I buy whole chickens and process them myself ... it's cheaper, and I have the skin, bones and other parts like backs and necks for making stocks that can then be turned into bases for soups, stews, chicken-n-dumplin's, pot pies, etc. - and I can render out the fat from the skin to make schmaltz (rendered chicken fat) - almost as good as bacon drippin's.

Oh, as CherryRed suggested, I do make Chicken Marsala, and parmesan, and a killer chicken braciole - but they start out as a whole skin-on bone-in chicken.

But, I still have never had chicken chili!

I buy whole chickens and process them myself ... it's cheaper, and I have the skin, bones and other parts like backs and necks for making stocks that can then be turned into bases for soups, stews, chicken-n-dumplin's, pot pies, etc.

Absolutely agree 100%! I do the same. It's not only much cheaper, but you know what you’re getting because you cut it up (unlike splintered and partial pieces that can come in the packs). And for a considerably cheaper price per pound, you get it all, legs, thighs, quarters, tenders, breasts, backs, etc. I like to buy two of the 2-packs at Sams (and those are really big chickens!) and cut them up into servings for two and then freeze.

But, I still have never had chicken chili!
You ought to try it. True, it's not "chili" so much as a white stew, but it sure is good. A Local restaurant here makes a killer version of it served in a large hollowed out round bread bowl. Simply incredible. But still, I’d call it stew before I’d call it chili…..yet, on the menu, they say chili. Go figure.

My current favorite chicken dish is one I have been experimenting with lately: sort of a chicken turnover...grilled or baked chicken (boneless & skinless ;) stuffed in a crescent roll and baked to perfection...the first time I mixed steamed broccoli, cream of mushroom soup and shredded cheddar cheese in with it. The second time I mixed stuffing and provolone cheese. They both were delicious. The possibilities are endless!

lpb

Back
Top Bottom